Should I update my bios?

G

Hi guys. I have a ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard and I bought it at the beginning of 2011 so I think I have the oldest bios version for the motherboard. So should I update to the latest bios version or not? Any advice would be useful.

G

Well I had some problems I think ware bios related like mi gpu's going at 95-99% usage when I stop to move the mouse or stop typing on the keyboard and the only thing that fixed that was reinstalling windows. And the other thing is I am installing a new gpu - a gtx 690 and I heard there ware some probems with the 680 on this mobo and the 690 is 2 680's I think I may have problems with it.

I don't see how there could be issues with a graphics card and a motherboard except those related to the compatibility issues of the PCIe 2.1 graphics cards, but I suppose it's possible.

I don't think that the BIOS is the cause of your other issues either. Still if you want to update, then go ahead. Just make sure that you look at your current BIOS settings and reset them properly after updating if any of them are not set to default.

+1

The best advice about upgrading your BIOS- if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

However, since this BIOS update does address some issues you may encounter with your new video card, I would in this case suggest to do the update. Read the directions. Read them again, be sure you completely understand them, and then read them again. Follow them exactly.

Be warned that you can render your motherboard dead, completely, as in you will have to get a new one, if you mess up during the update.

no you wont brick it and need to get a new motherboard if the bios flash goes wrong

it should have - ASUS CrashFree BIOS

which means if it bricks it you put in your motherboard cd or a flash drive with the old bios

and it will recover it for you :)

Uh yeah and sometimes this works, and sometimes it don't. You still need to be careful.

G

Yes and one other thing. The newest bios contains all the good updates from the older versions, yes?

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I recommend you updated your BIOS when you redoing your Operating System.....but never do it when there nothing wrong with your computer....your might damage the motherboard....always read up on the BIOS before make that big decision.