Not open for further replies.

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
So I built a new PC with the following hardware:
ASUS P8Z77-V mobo
EVGA GTX680 superclocked
2*4 gig sticks of 1600 mhz ddr3 ram

I used my old 750W power supply (could this be the problem? It's about 3-4 years old), and my old Sata 300 HDD.

Now, the first game I tested on my new system was Civ 5, which I ran at maximum for about 20 minutes then quit it.
The next I ran was Guild Wars 2 at max, which after 1 minute crashed my computer and rebooted.
I got the following message: "power supply surges detected during the previous power on asus anti-surge was triggered"

I tried again and now Guild Wars will crash my computer within a second of gameplay.
I tried disabling Asus Anti-Surge in the BIOS, updating the bios and running the game in the lowest detail possible.

I figured it might have been a problem with the game, so I fired up The Witcher 2, which ran at max at 60-80 fps for about an hour before I stopped the game.
I then tried Metro 2033 at max, which I believe is the heaviest game I have, after which my computer crashed the same way after about 10 minutes.

PS, If I disable Asus Anti-surge, I'll either get the same crash with no warning, or just simply a blue screen.

Can anyone help me?

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

How sure are you sure about that? I can't exactly afford a new premium PSU, which one would be recommended?

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
People usually get brand new PSUs after 2 - 3 years. Having one for longer could be dangerous, especially it being able to take down your other parts with it if it dies.

I'd recommend a Corsair TX PSU. They are bronze certified, and Corsair is really reliable with there memory and PSUs.

If you want non-modular (lots of cables, cheaper, $110 sale, $100 after rebate):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

If you want a semi-modular (optional cables/alot less cables, more expensive, $125 sale, $110 after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030

^ They are both the same, except that the semi-modular has less cables attached to the PSU. Both the same in other terms.

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

How sure can I be this will fix my problem? I'm a student so if it doesn't work I'll be without a computer for weeks maybe months.

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Your ASUS motherboard is detecting a unhealthy PSU. and even if thats not the cause youll still have to upgrade or get a new psu since its 3 years old

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Okay, it seems I'll have to get a new PSU, is this one okay?
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
So I decided to try and install my old video card, the GTX 295, which supposedly has a larger power draw than the 680, and my pc hasn't crashed yet? Is it still more likely to be the PSU than say a faulty video card?
It still doesn't make sense to me that I can play a demanding game like witcher without a problem.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It's not necessarily the fault of the PSU but could be a fault with the video card but not the hardware, the drivers could be BETA version or drivers that are not suited to your OS. You can't usually just install any later versin video drivers, you have to have ones best suited for your OS and video card model.

What driver version are you using for the video card?

Probably best to uninstall those drivers (but download the correct version first), then install new drivers.. Always check the manufacturer site for the drivers that best suit your hardware and OS.

I'm usually the first one to yell "PSU problem!" but in your case, it's the video card drivers as I've had a similar problem to your one.

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Try doing a complete reinstall of your GPU drivers. After that, I still recommend getting the PSU you mentioned. Not really safe to have a 3+ year old PSU.

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I was on 310.90 drivers.
I tried to downgrade to 310.70, after which I was able to stay ingame for about 30 minutes, I then started to move around in the game (it has just been sitting at the same place the entire time) after which it crashed the same way after 2 minutes.

Even if it isn't safe running on a old PSU, will it really fix my problem by upgrading it?

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

It may, there's no telling. You should really change it though. Who knows, maybe that may fix your problem. As said, there's no telling.

SB116

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Okay, I've decided to order the TX750 V2 PSU later this evening. What should my next step be if that doesn't fix my problem?

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Do you have your graphics drivers all updated? If not, then update them. If the problem continues, update to the beta drivers. If the problem has no avail, try updating the game to it's latest patch. If any of these don't fix your problem (in order) then update all your motherboard drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.