I keep hearing about the Z77 chipset... what's the big deal?
1155 Z77 is the gamers choice. The chipset and features are generally aimed at the gamer.
When spending at least $800 on a gaming PC it should look something like this:
- CPU, i5-3570K
- motherboard, 1155/Z77 (Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte/Asus)
- 8GB (2x4GB) of DDR3 1600MHz (higher frequency isn't that important)
- HD7850 2GB (or greater up to an HD7970 or GTX680)
- 550W or 650W PSU (quality with suitable 6-pin/8-pin for graphics card)
- Windows 8 64-bit OEM + Stardock's Start8