Need a new video card that will last me 2 to 3 years

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I need to ask the question which graphics card will last 2 to 3 years before I have to replace it, I have filed at least for a graphics cards that was last maybe a few years but I’m the and new graphics card to replace the gigabyte radeon up HD 4650 that I use in my PC build this summer. It can be an ATI or Nvidia graphics card it also has to be compatible with Linux. I have found four cards that might last a few years but I’m not sure which need for speed to run coming out in two weeks I’m not sure which one to get the video cards I’ve found are link below:

SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

HIS H667F1GD Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card with Eyefinity

Galaxy 55NGH8HX4NXK GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

"need to ask the question which graphics card will last 2 to 3 years before I have to replace it, I have filed at least for a graphics cards that was last maybe a few years but I’m the and new graphics card to replace the gigabyte radeon up HD 4650 that I use in my PC build this summer. It can be an ATI or Nvidia graphics card it also has to be compatible with Linux. I have found four cards that might last a few years but I’m not sure which need for speed to run coming out in two weeks I’m not sure which one to get the video cards I’ve found are link below: "

Can someone please translate for me , I can't make out what is being said here , the only thing I can understand is the title and I think he is looking for a video card that would last 2 to3 years. Don't know what the spec's are for the computer , what monitor you have and what resolutions it has and what settings to play what games at ?

I believe that the GTX 550 Ti is overall the best video card for your needs based on the 4 cards listed above. It is a little faster than the Radeon HD 5770 and to the best of my knowledge, nVidia has better support for Linux.

Whether it will last you 2 or 3 years is soley dependent on what your gaming expectations are. If you can live with medium graphics quality at 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, then I think you will be ok.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Ok inzone here are my specs for my PC

Montherboard: gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H ver 3.3 which I had to return to get it replaced because I was having problems with it.
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz
memory: 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Gold GX XTC Dual Channel plus one form G. Skill 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model which came from newegg so that make it 3GB
Sound card: sound blaster audigy 2 zs
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 600w
Monitor: MEG Innovision 771fs-s 17” CRT monitor
I need to replace the Gigabyte HD 4650 that I used in my pc build this summer.

that's the same thing that one of my NFS-planet members said to my but it cost so much. :cry:

bahts

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Not only a graphics card update would I recommend but possibly a processor upgrade if you can fit it into your budget ;) Even a simple Athlon X4 would ensure bottle-necking won't occur. Not saying it will on an X2 it might not but it would show some great performance increase also ;)

I would vouch for the 6670 considering its the fastest GPU without need for external PCI-E Power. But considering your power supply is strong enough to handle SLI GTX 550's (most likely) I would go with a GTX 550Ti. Considering what jaguarskx said yeah GTX 550Ti is the way to go (thats just an un-bias opinion).

Usually I like ATI more but in this case NVidia takes the cake!

Cheers to the build my friend!

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Does the Athlon X4 have a AM2+ or AM3 socket?

I also forget which cooler I used in the reply it the Coolermasters hyper 212+