Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CM Hyper 212 EVO crooked?

Last response: in Components
April 2, 2012 3:28:54 PM

Hello there, I had ordered a computer from cyberpower I noticed that my cpu cooler was a bit crooked when I received it. I really hope that the copper bars aren't bent, or something was damaged in transit. The thing is though, my CPU was running very cool all weekend like this, staying around 30C under load. What should I do? Here is a picture where you can see how it's crooked.

More about : hyper 212 evo crooked

a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 3:48:40 PM

Hello,

Nice setup. As for your crooked HS, if it really bothers you, you could RMA it. However if it's working fine - you could just keep it.

That's your choice to make!
m
l

Best solution

a c 146 à CPUs
April 2, 2012 3:50:48 PM

The 212s can pivot a bit when installed. I would recommend you unclip the fan. Re-position the heatsink (just twist it into place). Then verify that the screws are tightened all of the way (long phillips head screwdriver). Then re-attach the fan and fire up your rig.

As long as you don't remove the heatsink, the thermal paste it has now should be fine. If you remove the heatsink, you'll need to clean and then re-apply thermal compound.

Good luck!
Related resources
April 2, 2012 3:54:03 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

Nice setup. As for your crooked HS, if it really bothers you, you could RMA it. However if it's working fine - you could just keep it.

That's your choice to make!

Thanks for the reply. It does seem to be working just fine. I'm just not sure how serious this matter is and if I need to RMA it or maybe try to fix this myself. But like I said the temps are staying very low, and everything seems to be operating correctly. I just don't want my CPU to over heat at some point because it's not placed directly on the CPU, or if the copper bars potentially being bent could cause an issue.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
April 2, 2012 3:56:43 PM

The crookedness will have no real impact on cooling. It is really a matter of aesthetics. The "fix" above is easy.
m
l
April 2, 2012 3:57:11 PM

COLGeek said:
The 212s can pivot a bit when installed. I would recommend you unclip the fan. Re-position the heatsink (just twist it into place). Then verify that the screws are tightened all of the way (long phillips head screwdriver). Then re-attach the fan and fire up your rig.

As long as you don't remove the heatsink, the thermal paste it has now should be fine. If you remove the heatsink, you'll need to clean and then re-apply thermal compound.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I will try this once I get home, I will definitely not take off the heatsink, I'll just nudge it a bit and see if the screws are tight. I would rather not have to wait a whole week to get thermal paste in the mail (there are no shops within 2 hours that sell any!).
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 3:59:55 PM

jmacom01 said:
Hello there, I had ordered a computer from cyberpower I noticed that my cpu cooler was a bit crooked when I received it. I really hope that the copper bars aren't bent, or something was damaged in transit. The thing is though, my CPU was running very cool all weekend like this, staying around 30C under load. What should I do? Here is a picture where you can see how it's crooked.
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad144/Dream_Theaterx/20120330_175647.jpg

Thats Pretty bloody shoddy workmanship right there!
Who ever installed it obviously couldn't be arsed to line it up properly with the rear fan.
But don't worry, like the above said, just loosen the mounting screws, line it up correctly and re-tighten it.
Theres nothing actually wrong with the cooler as your temps are showing.
PS, what did you pay for that rig ?
m
l
April 2, 2012 4:02:21 PM

Uther39 said:
Thats Pretty bloody shoddy workmanship right there!
Who ever installed it obviously couldn't be arsed to line it up properly with the rear fan.
But don't worry, like the above said, just loosen the mounting screws, line it up correctly and re-tighten it.
Theres nothing actually wrong with the cooler as your temps are showing.
PS, what did you pay for that rig ?

Yeah I figured. I heard mixed reviews on Cyberpower so I was a bit Leary as it was. And then again, it could have came loose in transit, it's hard to say I guess. But I will indeed realign it once I get off work tonight, and the builds total was $1248.
m
l
April 2, 2012 4:55:52 PM

Best answer selected by jmacom01.
m
l
!