Sign in with
Your question

ASRock z77 Extreme4 - Won't recognize drive on OS install

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2013 5:29:41 PM

Just got the parts for this rig yesterday. I found that I have one bad stick of ram, other than that all hardware is working.

Specs: (Newegg part #)

ASRock z77 Extreme4 (N82E16813157293)
i7-3770K Ivy Bridge (N82E16819116501)
EVGA GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ (N82E16814130812)
G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 2x4GB (One of these is dead) (N82E16820231461)
Corsair Force GS 360GB SSD (N82E16820233313)
Corsair H60 CPU cooler ( N82E16835181015)
Corsair 750TX PSU (This is about 2 years old and from my last rig that died, but it still works fine) (N82E16817139006)
ASUS DVD-RW (N82E16827135204)
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case (N82E16811156078)

The issue is SATA controller drivers. The HD and DVD drive are both recognized in setup. However, when I boot from the boot disc, windows loads files, then asks to select language, then hit install now, then I get the message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing."

The motherboard CD has these drivers available:

ASMedia 106x SATA controller v1.3.1 - Can install, but does not detect any new devices.
Intel 7 series c216 chipset family SATA AHCI Controller v.11.2.0.1006 - This driver says it cannot be installed and I should check for a newer drivers - I'm pretty sure this is the newest driver, correct me if I am wrong and send a link, please.

I have tried changing the settings from AHCI to IDE as was instructed in the mother board manual and on this forum somewhere. This had no effect. I also tried in both Legacy and non-Legacy modes with the same result. I tried clearing the CMOS and again trying both AHCI and IDE without and with installing the drivers, again to no effect. I also tried moving the cable into different SATA ports. I originally started the HD in SATA3_0 and then moved it to SATA3_A0 and tried all of the 4 SATA3 spots. I then moved it to SATA2 spots and had the same issue.

I have not updated the BIOS, but I have read in many threads on this forum that updating the BIOS did not affect the problem. The SATA cables have been switched and changed to ensure it is not a faulty cable. I'm beginning to think the HD is DoA, but I would like this confirmed or denied by other reliable sources.

Any words of wisdom are much appreciated. Thank you very much for you time.

a c 558 V Motherboard
February 9, 2013 6:54:13 PM

Hi,
What Windows version are you trying to install? What SATA ports are the drives connected?
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 12:37:17 AM

@alexoiu - Installing Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Right now the drive is in SATA2_5 slot, however, I have tried it everywhere and the slot hasn't made a difference.

@noidea_77 - I don't understand how a RAID Driver would be helpful, as I have no need, nor want, to create a RAID volume. I will give it a try as it can't hurt.
//Edit: Installed the RAID Driver. No new devices detected just like every other time.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 2:00:44 AM

if the hard drive and cd-rom are connected to the intel sata ports. go to intel web page and download the newest intel chipset drivers and download the driver disk there. then unzip the installer and then copy the inf file to a usb stick. another way is called slipstreaming windows 7 image to add the info drivers for your mb and the newest service packs.
m
l
February 10, 2013 2:19:26 AM

Quote:
if the hard drive and cd-rom are connected to the intel sata ports. go to intel web page and download the newest intel chipset drivers and download the driver disk there. then unzip the installer and then copy the inf file to a usb stick. another way is called slipstreaming windows 7 image to add the info drivers for your mb and the newest service packs.

I have already installed the newest Intel drivers. Still no disk recognized. I am currently trying method 8 from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520 as I read somewhere on this board that that cleared up the problem for someone.

I have now also updated from BIOS 2.70 to 2.80. I also used an old HDD and got it to boot to windows xp, which was already on it. When I tried to install windows 7 on this old HDD, I came across the same issue.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 5:46:50 AM

make sure the sata ports are set to achi mode not ide.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:44:08 AM

Quote:
make sure the sata ports are set to achi mode not ide.

I have tried AHCI, IDE, and RAID all to no avail. I am going to attempt to make a boot disk out of my flash drive tomorrow and try a workaround I read about.
m
l
February 10, 2013 6:11:14 PM

Ok, I solved the problem. I tried installing from a flash drive, and it worked like a charm. (I didn't previously have a flash drive large enough to do this.)
m
l
June 16, 2013 3:44:44 AM

Hi - I reckon I have exactly the same problem you had - except my memory is fine - well the computer memory ! I've 'repaired , reset , cleaned , rebuilt , copied etc every sata drive I can find, and still it won't do anything to any drive either clean or with win 7 installed from another machine, or do a new install of either win 7 or win8. - -
So what precisely did you do which worked - any minute now either I or the 'new' kit will suffer - and if I say it myself - I do have quite a lot of previous experience of similar situations -- -!
Help please !
m
l
!