Sign in with
Your question

3 year gaming rig at 1366x768

Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2012 4:04:14 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a gaming rig for around 500/600$ which would last me like 3 years playing everything on highest setting possible at a resolution of 1366x768.

i'm thinking about going for A10 5800k once it comes out i think i can push it to my needs with a slight overclock and some serious badass RAM and once that is no longer enough get a GPU card...i'm not looking for crazy FPS anything around 30 in 2 years is fine.

I dont expect to do anything else other then gaming on that pc so what you guys think?

Is to worth to go for a i3 or i5 + gpu at that res? because i think that if i get a good gpu the a10 wont b a bootleneck at that res anytime soon...and i can even disable the iGPU part and leave room for some serious overclock...

Thanks in advance
a c 479 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 4:18:43 PM

If you intend on just using the integrated graphics core, then your best option would be AMD's Trinity APU. I forgot what's the expected graphics performance increase from Llano will be, but I suppose a 40% should be reasonable.

Intel's HD 4000 was estimated to have 60% better performance than the Intel HD 3000 graphics core, but I believe recent preliminary benchmarks averaged a 40% increase. That makes it roughly as powerful as the graphics core in the Llano A6 series I suppose. However, only two Ivy Bridge Core i5 CPUs will have the Intel HD 4000 graphics core; that's the top end model i5-3770k and one of low power model that will probably be released at the end of June. As for Ivy Bridge Core i3 CPUs, I haven't noticed any yet that will have the Intel HD 4000 graphics core.
April 2, 2012 4:29:32 PM

i'm more concerned about the processor's performance rather then the integrated graphics because i know in the long run i'll have to purchase the gpu card anyway so that i can keep my standards...i'm just wondering if it is worth saving the money on the gpu get a A10 APU and some quality parts rather then going for a intel + gpu card for like 200 more...and if like 1 year from know if i buy lets say a 7870 that cpu won't be bottlenecking the graphics card even if OCed.
Related resources
April 2, 2012 4:48:31 PM

I will probably buy A10-5800K & good ram & use integrated GPU for gaming.

I might also switch to Kaveri APU in 2013 [depends from performance gain].

In my opinion A10-5800K will be the best budged gaming platform in 2012.
a c 479 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 5:14:50 PM

Trinity's CPU core is based on Bulldozer and is estimated to be 25% more powerful than Llano's CPU core. Trinity's CPu core will still be slower than an Ivy Bridge CPU, but most games are limited by the graphics card, than the CPU.

A HD 7870 will not be bottlenecked by Trinity, but in CPU bound games matching it up with Ivy Bridge will give you better performance. How much depends on the game. It could be 10%, it could be 20%.

If you dig up more money, then Intel is the way to go. Otherwise Trinity seems to give good value for the money.
April 2, 2012 5:35:55 PM

Thanks jaguar,

Quote:
A HD 7870 will not be bottlenecked by Trinity, but in CPU bound games matching it up with Ivy Bridge will give you better performance. How much depends on the game. It could be 10%, it could be 20%.

Do you rly think it can go as high as 20% even at 720p?

I believe resolution nowadays is the most important factor in stressing a cpu. And i dont intend by any means to strech it any higher than 1366x768... and you think the integrated graphics of A10 will be powerfull enough to play lets bf3 in the highest sets at that res? I know we can only hope and speculate but based on what you know about trinity and the integrated gpu they will have packed...

Quote:
If you dig up more money, then Intel is the way to go. Otherwise Trinity seems to give good value for the money.

I'm not really bound to any budget i just wish to get the best value/looks/upgradability for the money for a 720p res (which is my 32 inch Led tv max res) and since i'm more than 2 meters away i cant tell the diference between 720p or 1080p. (samsung ue32d4003 unlocked to UD4000 so that i can play movies from the usb port, that tv is a performer).

I even considered that A10 5800k + hd 7770 which is most likely to be the highest end card able to crossfire with the apu, might outperform a configuration like a i3 2130 + 7850...

we will wait and see
a c 479 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
April 3, 2012 1:57:54 AM

The lower the resolution the more CPU dependent a game will be. In away it is a form of bottlenecking because a video card can pump out more performance at a lower resolution. The following are benchmarks for various CPU using a Radeon HD 6970. The resolution is higher than what you plan on having, but at least it demonstrates how much performance can be gained with a faster CPU at a relative low resolution. Not positve how well a Trinity APU will stack up against Phenom II / FX CPUs, but if the 25% increase in CPU core performance vs. the Llano CPU core is true, then Trinity would actually be faster than the Phenom II and FX CPUs by about 15%. But still slower than Intel's CPUs.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-812...

One game that is not limited by the CPU's performance is Crysis 2. Regardless if you have an AMD or Intel CPU, the performance is extremely close.

April 3, 2012 10:16:17 AM

Thanks man that was very helpfull...never thought the cpu would be more important at a lower res...

Anyway i'll have to wait and see how trinity will do against ivy bridge for my intents but given that info I believe it is worth to go i3 ivy + h77 motherboard + hd 7850 probably...

Thanks

!