Creating secondary RAID 0 in BIOS b4 windows install

G-money88

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi everyone!

I have an Intel 520 120GB SSD and 2x 1TB Western Digital SATA 3 HDDs that I'm about to do a fresh install of windows on. I want to use the SSD for OS and a few core programs, then put everything else on the HDDs. I've had the 2 HDDs raided on my current build by creating a triped volume via windows, but I'd rather have it done through the BIOS to avoid any conflicts. My question is, can I create the RAID 0 volume for the 2 HDDs before i install windows on the SSD, and would the SATA controller need to be set at RAID permanently? ( Previous install was in AHCI).

My worry is that seeing as ACHI seems to be the preferred setting for single drives, would I not be able to switch the BIOS setting back to ACHI after I have created the RAID array? (This would be pre-windows installation).

Many Thanks!

The raid setting includes ahci. Just install windows to your ssd with the hdd's unplugged to avoid any trouble, but install the raid drivers for your mobo/chipset. Create the raid after windows is up and running. And by the way: there is no real difference between the windows and the chipset software raid.