Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help: Asrock Z77 Extreme4: Random black screen freeze Dr Debug "b2"

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2013 8:15:07 PM

On an as rock z77 extreme4, bios 2.50, i5-3750-k, gigabyte rad hd 7970, 850w corsair PSU, haf xb case with full complement of fans. No oc'ing yet, build is about a week old. Pc keeps stopping and going to black screen after being on for about random intervals and, on the next one to two reboots, it stops booting without posting anything. Dr Debug will claim b2 (lower case b, not a 6 I'm pretty sure). On the next reboot, it goes past b2 to 99 to a2 and starts normally until it fails again the same say.

The repeated reboot bringing it back again leads me to think there is a problem with heat somewhere, so I check. Idling the system at 27c CPU, 25c MB. Under load (maximum strength Unreal Tournament 3 at 1024x768), peak at cpu 45c, mb 30c, and 41c peak GPu. Def not heat.

Freezing on a black screen makes me think graphics, but not starting up again immediately makes me think mobo.

So far, been a beast of a machine, but i can't have these random bouts of narcolepsy. Not interested in a sleeping giant.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
a c 1148 V Motherboard
February 9, 2013 8:20:05 PM

Dd you try reseating your ram or installing one at a time.
Score
a c 1148 V Motherboard
February 9, 2013 8:21:16 PM

How many ram modules do you have and which slots are they in.
Score
Related resources
February 9, 2013 9:02:37 PM

Not yet. Both are reading alive and well. They are on A2 and B2, as suggested in instructions. 8GB. I just cranked RAM utilization to 82% utilization using XFast RAM ramdrive, and no buggery.
Score
February 10, 2013 11:52:22 PM

Reseated ram, still being a little drama queen. A friend suggested I test my power supply, a Corsair TX850. Tested with a TT Dr Power 1. Six of the seven lights in the circle come on. -5v light remains off. Don't know if that's normal. Any new ideas?
Score
February 11, 2013 4:02:59 PM

Discovered something strange. I had noticed that while the pc slept, my Logitech G15 was still getting power and the backlighting was flickering. It was plugged into USB 2.0. Moved to USB 3.0 after latest test and now the backlight doesn't come on. Wonder if related or just another superfluous data point...
Score
July 28, 2013 3:12:43 AM

Hi, I am also having a very similar problem. Here are my specs:

Antec 620W High Current Gamer PSU, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, Core i5 3570k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2x 4GB 1866 G Skill Ares (Dual Channel, A1, B1), Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Dual-X OC Version (Not overclocked), M-Audio Audiophile 2496, 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, 2x 750GB 7200rpm HDDs, Pioneer BDRW, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Graphics card BIOS: 015.018.000.000.000000, MB BIOS: 42.80

This system is connected to three displays: Two monitors and a plasma TV. The CPU is also overclocked but always kept cool, idle temperatures ~36C and ~65C with Prime95. At the moment it is only overclocked to 4.0 GHz with voltage offset +0.020v.

No matter what the configuration in terms of how many displays the graphics card outputs to and in terms of CPU overclock, the system occasionally crashes with black screen and the Dr Debug error b2 shows up when trying to reboot. Sometimes it cannot POST and requires a CMOS reset. Usually a hard reset is fine and Windows restarts.

I have tried reseating RAM, reseating CPU, cleaning out dust and I have also totally dismantled the graphics card and cleaned off the dust and applied arctic silver thermal paste and put back together.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Score
February 13, 2014 5:25:02 AM

Ill post my reply to another issue also here cause we all hve the extreme motherboards im noticing:

I have the same kind of problem with an asrock x58 extreme6 its triple channel a1 a2 b1 b2 c1 c2.
I have had to shuffle them alrdy in the beginning when i just had bought the pc and assembled it but finnally i had all 6 working (12gb). After a year or so i cleaned my pc for dust or something and puttet them out again and did try the shuffling in order again to get them all work but couldnt find the combination tried them all.
Also the motherboard manual says u need to occupy a1 and a2 prior or it wont boot up.
Those 2 slots give me the problem and strange but true if i let those empty i can boot with the right mem module in the right slot and the right pair combination in the b or c channel.
Looked like every slot needed a unique modulebank and also depending what other bank was in the other slot could make or break it.
If i did a wrong combination i could get 2 mem banks to work and after switching combinations again i had 4 mem banks working.
Even when a1 and a2 wouldnt post 2gb i puttet them in the boardslots after the other 8 gb would post and gave no problem like it would if i would start with a1 and a2.
So with all 6 rams in and 4 posting i used some computer programs to look at the memory etc.
One time in linux, a program reported to see all 6 memory banks but said a1 and a2 were in single mode memory and were interlaced or something( not working/forming as a channel together)
And memory b channel and c channel were working in dual channel mode not in triple.
Im now looking at a program named driver genius at the topic hardware info and it reports 10GB so 5 slots 1 slot is missing and also in dual channel mode still.
Ive been searching for a solution to this problem a while now and the possibilities stays the same either a pin bend by the processor socket or a faulty ram socket.
I can get all banks to work independitly only combining them in certain channels is giving me boot problems so it feels like that old game called crack the code but the color hints are not present.
It just hints me with a a no boot, or do boot but ram not showing up in bios.
Cant be the powersupply its 1200 watt and it used to work with standaard volts from bios but vendor recommended higher volts for overclocking stilll guarenteeing warranty.
Im not to fond about touching the processor again and take the cooler off to look for a bent pin but its the only thing i didnt do or tried yet, so maybe ill buy some pasta soon and do it anyways.
I also starte to have a problem with nvdia drivers or the 2 video cards running in sli and lately they alrdy giving signs of trouble when i put just 1 in.
Saved cash to buy a top end pc back then and its giving problem after problem.
Wasted my cash, wish i still had the money i used to have cause im a rather poor lately.
Damn computers trying to get me crazy. There taking over the world be aware.
Score
March 10, 2014 2:04:27 PM

edgeofblade did you find a solution?

I'm having the same problem as you.
Z77 Extreme4
gtx 780
2 X 4gb ripjaws 1600
Corsair CX600

I had a 280x and returned it because of random black screens. It was almost impossible to get a successful boot after a random black screen. I would have to turn off the power switch on my PSU to even have a chance of it booting up. Even the BIOS screen would go black and freeze.

The problem completely went away when I used integrated graphics. That doesn't mean it isn't still a motherboard problem, right?

I still have random black screens with the GTX 780 but they are far less common and now only happen when I'm gaming. I know my computer is completely locked up when it happens because the NUM lock light is frozen. In addition the sound will stop.

The fact that the entire system freezes and the display output stops completely makes me think it's the motherboard.

Maybe my graphics card is shutting down? Would that lock up the entire system? I've had the driver crash before but the display always restarts in a few seconds. Maybe my PSU momentarily doesn't deliver enough power and the system locks up?
Score
March 17, 2014 2:06:52 AM

Nearly every problem I have searched for answers to on this website has gone unfixed. How this site considers itself helpful I do not know.

Delete these worthless threads!
Score
!