Sign in with
Your question

Symptoms of NAT?

Last response: in Networking
January 22, 2011 12:58:11 AM

I have been playing some games online and have been experiencing random occurances of interruption in gameplay, but not ejections from games though. I have been able to play all of my games that i want to play online and join hosts without being told that i cannot connect. The only problem is that when i am playing every 40-60 seconds the game shows an icon telling me connection interrupted for up to 3 seconds and then gameplay goes back to normal. When i connect to games i have a good ping around 35-45 and i don't get lag. My download speeds are high (around 3000 kb) but my upload speeds are much lower - around 210 kb. I have a NAT configured network; Is the NAT causing interruption in gameplay but not ejection from games? Or could it be upload speeds, because they allways vary and can decrease from 210 kb. I have a university network so i can not change NAT, or mess around with the router settings, but will changing port numbers do anything to improve gameplay?

i do need some help please, this isn't simple inteference with the game, it happens for all games, and it does make gameplay unplayable and uncompetative.

More about : symptoms nat

January 25, 2011 9:14:29 PM

what type of internet connection do you have?

sounds like a DSL with 3Mb download and ONLY 254Kb upload.

you could test by using www.speedtest.net
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:57:28 PM

i go on "mybroadbandspeed".co.uk. I get good download speeds as i have said, the bad connection/lag isn't to do with the download speed, maybe upload speed. But as i said gameplay is usually great for 30-40 seconds with no lag and great ping, and then gameplay gets interupted briefly. It does this continuously, is this to do with NAT? I heard that NAT doesn't effect ingame though, but it effects being able to connect, unlike the xbox i don't get disconnected from xbox live or the game i just get interuptions and the game holds a bit, is this NAT's fault? I'm connected to a wireless network, that has NAT enabled and is DSL yeah, that's all i know.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2011 3:31:22 PM

can you connect via network cable to test if it the wireless setup?
m
l
January 26, 2011 4:25:00 PM

Every router in use has NAT in it, it's needed to connect multiple computers to one modem for internet access. It's not an issue due to having NAT in use. You said you were on a school network, you'd need to do some tests with them. Send a constant ping command to a site, see if it shows regular interuptions in connectivity. If you get timeouts in ping, contact the school techs.
m
l
January 26, 2011 4:46:31 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Every router in use has NAT in it, it's needed to connect multiple computers to one modem for internet access. It's not an issue due to having NAT in use. You said you were on a school network, you'd need to do some tests with them. Send a constant ping command to a site, see if it shows regular interuptions in connectivity. If you get timeouts in ping, contact the school techs.

From a command prompt in windows type 'ping -t XXXXXX'

where XXXX is a chosen site on the internet, look at your ping times while you run a speed test also, any times significantly higher or dropped show your intermittent connection, but not a NAT problem per-se.
m
l
January 26, 2011 9:57:47 PM

it tells me ping request could not find host http:/www etc. What do i need to put in after ping -t?
m
l
January 26, 2011 10:03:59 PM

I put in ping -t then my ip default gateway, then it showed me ping listings, at the start the ping was varying between 3 and 40, and then at one point it wnet to 1600. When i did a test onspeedtest.net on cmd it said request timed out for a couple of seconds and on one line, and then when back to showing normal pings.
m
l
January 26, 2011 11:17:04 PM

The network is having trouble. I can't tell you where, or why, but its not on your end. I doubt that you'll get much help from the university either, but you can use that information to show them what your experiencing, rather than "my game doesn't work" you can say "I've noticed that the latency of the internal network fluctuates, sometimes connections can't be made." And you have the data to prove it.

IT people like it when you have replicatable data.
m
l
January 27, 2011 3:18:36 AM

Sounds like a routing issue on the internal backbone. Pings should never fluctuate more then a few ms on an internal network. Your university IT guys need to go check it out, probably need to reset the buffer on some cisco switch / router, possibly upgrade their IOS.
m
l
January 27, 2011 4:26:44 PM

Do a tracert on the IP you were pinging. Keep doing another ping -t to each up-stream hop until this stops happening. Then you contact the tech for the network and let them know you have a connection issue to that IP between you and your gateway.

Typically, the gateway is the first hop, so if that's the case, let them know there is a general connection issue. Could actually be your line.

as for pings on an internal network, they're rated in micro-seconds, not milliseconds. Pings on the internet don't fluctuate more than 1-3ms even during peak hours unless something is wrong.
m
l
!