Your question

I Think i killed my PSU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2011 10:04:58 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here (though i read here often).

I just bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, the problem is i uninstalled my old graphics cards drivers, turned off my computer and put the new Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 in and the computer will not start up, the lights inside the towers casing still light up though, just nothing happens when i press the power button.

The graphics card recomends on the AMD site and on the sapphire box a 500 watt or great power supply , and i put in a Antec BP 550 watt ATX12V V2.3 a few days before this and it worked fine until i put in the new graphics card.

The computer wont start up (when i say wont start up, no fans, no beeps, no display, no bios, nothing) even if i put in the old graphics card it wont work either, the only way to get it running again, is having my old graphics card in he PCI E slot and putting in my older power supply which has a wattage of 360 (which i will not try with the new card, i know that wouldnt work out lol)

So at this point i pretty much know the new psu died somehow right? (even though there are lights on in the tower with it). Did i have enough power? should i have gotten a better power supply? And if so around what wattage should i get to prevent this terrible thing from happening again.

If i did not post enough information please let me know, i have searched around and i saw similar issues but not exactly this, saw issues with lower then recommended power supplies , and not a one that seems to reach the requirements like mine.

More about : killed psu

a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2011 10:34:59 PM

Hello and welcome
I think your components are ok. Please post your system full specs. And double check that everything is properly connected.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2011 10:38:39 PM

Sounds like an Antec TPN 550, they are very good power supplies and enough power for crossfire 6850's, if not faulty ( sucks, but it happens )
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2011 10:59:58 PM

Thanks for the replies :) 

I have a

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Intel i7 920 2.69GHZ
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
12 GB DDR3
Radeon HD 4350 (this is this my old one im using, it worked with the new power supply, until i tryed the new power supply with the new Sapphire Radeon 6850, now the power supply wont even work witht he 4350 either, only when i switch back to my old power supply)

the power supply that seems to be broke and will no longer work is a

Antec BP 550 watt ATX 12V V2.3, i forget to include the "BP" before

Do i need any more/specific information? For example i know i have 2 Sata HDD, but i dont know the brand, i can take apart my computer to check, but i have used one of those sites that tell you what wattage computer you need based on parts, and it has only suggested lower wattage then i had with the 550.

Also yes, everything is connected properly as far as i can tell, the new power supply worked on my computer until i tried the new graphics card, the only change to power supply connectors with the graphics card was a 6 pin plug in for it, which i plugged in before turning it on ofc. The connector is actually a 6+2 pin, but from what i read its supposed to work fine just the 6 pin, and the +2 just makes it also compatible with 8 pin pci e power connectors.

from what i read , Antec seems like a decent brand for a power supply, also time is kinda a factor here, i still have the ability to send back my power supply cause i just received it like a week ago.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2011 11:02:59 PM

chupacabramofo said:
Thanks for the replies :) 

I have a

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Intel i7 920 2.69GHZ
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
12 GB DDR3
Radeon HD 4350 (this is this my old one im using, it worked with the new power supply, until i tryed the new power supply with the new Sapphire Radeon 6850, now the power supply wont even work witht he 4350 either, only when i switch back to my old power supply)

the power supply that seems to be broke and will no longer work is a

Antec BP 550 watt ATX 12V V2.3, i forget to include the "BP" before

Do i need any more/specific information? For example i know i have 2 Sata HDD, but i dont know the brand, i can take apart my computer to check, but i have used one of those sites that tell you what wattage computer you need based on parts, and it has only suggested lower wattage then i had with the 550.

Still decent, I wouldn't crossfire with it though
m
l
October 28, 2011 11:08:46 PM

oops previous post edited to add this

Also yes, everything is connected properly as far as i can tell, the new power supply worked on my computer until i tried the new graphics card, the only change to power supply connectors with the graphics card was a 6 pin plug in for it, which i plugged in before turning it on ofc. The connector is actually a 6+2 pin, but from what i read its supposed to work fine just the 6 pin, and the +2 just makes it also compatible with 8 pin pci e power connectors.

from what i read , Antec seems like a decent brand for a power supply, also time is kinda a factor here, i still have the ability to send back my power supply cause i just received it like a week ago.

but ya, i have no plans to crossfire :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2011 11:28:11 PM

When you turn the system on, do you get to the BIOS (with the 6850 connected)?
m
l
October 28, 2011 11:42:03 PM

Nope ;/

Simply press the power button and nothing happens what so ever, no display, no fans, just a blank screen. no beeps. But the lights inside the computer are still on, like the idle lights when it just off, but plugged inr does that signify the psu is not dead?

Also thx again for responding guys :) 
m
l
October 29, 2011 2:11:47 AM

Hey guys thx for the support... i tried everything all over again and now its working lol, kinda have a new question now though, my case is not very big, whats suitable temperatures for a graphics card? it has its fan but its literally an inch or less away from the bottom of the casing. CCC says its at 49C atm, which i doubt is bad, but its at idle, not even playing anything, ill start looking up normal temps i guess, but if someone has a good idea let me know.
m
l
October 29, 2011 3:06:09 AM

based off what ive read seems ok as long as you dont go over like 80 C? If so thats good news, playing spurts of TF2 like 6 mins at a time, puts me at about 68 C
m
l
!