Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

i7 3770k vs i7 3930k

Last response: in CPUs
Share

i7 3770k vs i7 3930k for gaming ?

Total: 21 votes (12 blank votes)

  • i7 3770k
  • 67 %
  • i7 3930k
  • 34 %
April 2, 2012 6:23:15 PM

Hey guys,
Im building a new gaming pc for $4000-$4500 by next month and next month ivy bridge is coming out so i guys please tell me whether should i get i7 3770k or i7 3930k for gaming . And i dont want to upgrade my cpu for another 3-4 years so if i buy 3770k will it last that long.

Also when do u guys expect games to utilize more than 4 cores.

My build :
Intel i7 3770k or i7 3930k
Asus Maximus V or Asus Rampage iv extreme
HAF X cabinet
Corsair dominator gt 16gb ram
Evga gtx 680 4gb sli
Corsair AX1200 watts psu
Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooler
Lg bluray burner
Corsair Force GT 240gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2X1tb raid 0
Asus VG278H 3D 27" Monitor
1200 VA UPS

You can also tell your suggestions for my build, if u have any better parts in your mind.

Thanks in advance your info guys.

More about : 3770k 3930k

a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 6:47:26 PM

The i7 3770K when it comes out. Games at the moment and at least in the next 2 years if not more won't have benefit from that SB-E 3930K. Plus, you can OC the 3770K easily to at least 4.8Ghz and with some little tweaking to 5GHz stable, if not even more on that Maximus V mobo and you won't have worries about your cpu for 4-5 years.
The rest of the setup looks great :) 
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2012 7:02:34 PM

:o  awesome, with a build like that the only thing I can think of suggesting is buying 32GB of RAM or getting full water cooling for everything in the system.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 3:25:53 AM

Since the 3930K is really no better for games than the i5 2500K/i7 2600K, I'd expect the 3770K to have the edge
April 3, 2012 3:38:09 AM

Robi_g said:
:o  awesome, with a build like that the only thing I can think of suggesting is buying 32GB of RAM or getting full water cooling for everything in the system.

+1 For the full water cooled suggestion. Now for the 32gb of RAM.... Not so much. RAM Drive? .........
April 3, 2012 3:56:16 AM

theconsolegamer said:
+1 For the full water cooled suggestion. Now for the 32gb of RAM.... Not so much. RAM Drive? .........

is swiftech good for water cooling also guys tell me whether should i go with dual or triple radiator
April 3, 2012 8:13:46 AM

Check for RAM from OCZ or was that corsair also? They came out with low voltage(1.3 or 1.35v) kits witch have a gold radiator. Those might be good for overclocking and don't buy RAM witch is lower than 1600Mhz. I would go for something over 2000Mhz for a gaming system like yours or something with very low timings at 1600 or 1866Mhz.
April 3, 2012 8:52:00 AM

ionut19 said:
Check for RAM from OCZ or was that corsair also? They came out with low voltage(1.3 or 1.35v) kits witch have a gold radiator. Those might be good for overclocking and don't buy RAM witch is lower than 1600Mhz. I would go for something over 2000Mhz for a gaming system like yours or something with very low timings at 1600 or 1866Mhz.

The ram which im gonna buy is corsair dominator gtx which is 2133 mhz
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 9:10:45 AM

Games don't benefit much at all from 6 cores/threads over 4...

And for this reason I vote neither...

I'd go with the i5-3750K and spend the $100+ leftovers on REAL WATERCOOLING!!!

This is assuming the extra supposed 2MB L3 cache in the 3770 doesn't make a significant difference, because the hyper threading (which is the only other benefit for you over the i5 compared to the i7-3770K) won't in games.
April 3, 2012 9:17:28 AM

Raidur said:
Games don't benefit much at all from 6 cores/threads over 4...

And for this reason I vote neither...

I'd go with the i5-3750K and spend the $100+ leftovers on REAL WATERCOOLING!!!

This is assuming the extra supposed 2MB L3 cache in the 3770 doesn't make a significant difference, because the hyper threading (which is the only other benefit for you over the i5 compared to the i7-3770K) won't in games.

what if games utilize hyperthreading efficiently dont u think i7 will benefit from i5 at that time
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2012 9:20:34 AM

The games that benefit barely do (it's only measurable), and some games even LOSE performance.

I will add, going with the HX850 or TX850 (AX850 if you want the quality of the 1200W) will save you another ~$100 and still work fine. :) 

The GTX 680 is a HUGE drop in power usage compared to the GTX 580.
!