Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FX-4170?

Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2012 6:35:51 PM

I'm building a gaming computer solely for gaming! but I have an am3+ mobo right now and 8 gb of ddr3. I'm gonna play bf3, mw3, skyrim, and all the new stuff on 1080p. I'm debating on returning the am3+ mobo and going intel and get either the i5 2500k or the i3 2100. Can someone tell me if there's gonna be a huge difference between the FX-4170 and the i3/i5 in fps? and also maybe help me pick out a graphics card? I work part time and go to school so i only bring in like 150 a week. So, i'd like to get the best bang for my buck. i3 promo deal on newegg ends today so a quick response would be nice. (:

More about : 4170

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 6:49:20 PM

FX is no good. If you want a computer "solely" for gaming and ill never ever do anything else ever with your machine than get an i3 seeing as how it is pretty much useless at anything except gaming. Plus this will put you on a platform so you can get a better CPU later on. If you plan to do anything other than just game go pick up an X6 Phenom for a couple bucks more than the X2 i3 or a 2500K for another $50 over the phenomII.
m
l
April 2, 2012 7:23:35 PM

Facebook and gaming lol. But how future proof is the i3? Will it be able to play the next cod? or the next bf?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 7:29:28 PM

devanwarner said:
Facebook and gaming lol. But how future proof is the i3? Will it be able to play the next cod? or the next bf?

The i3 only skimps along because most games are only threaded to take advantage of 2 cores. With dual cores being phased out 4X and even 6X cpu's becoming mostly common place and there for I can only assume the next generation of games will be more heavily threaded to take advantage of more cores in a CPU. If my logic is correct the i3 (or any dual core) would be better served as a beer coaster. I am not a fan of the i3 it's self because it is basically useless outside of gaming. The only reason I suggested it is because you can always upgrade to a nice i5/i7 on that platform
April 2, 2012 9:39:28 PM

Best answer selected by DevanWarner.
m
l
!