Sign in with
Your question

Is 8Gb of RAM that important.

Last response: in Memory
February 9, 2013 11:50:48 PM

Im going to be buying a gaming laptop and i have two different ones that i am looking at laptop A has an extremely inferior processor, one rank below one the gpu benchmarks and has 8GB of RAM. Laptop B however has a very good processor its 8th on the scale, one higher on the gpu, but only has 6GB of RAM. So is this 2GB of RAM difference from 8 really going to hinder my gaming experience.

Specs Laptop A: AMD Trinity A10-4600M Quad-core Processor (2.3-3.2GHz)
AMD HD 7730M 2048MB PCI-Express GDDR3
8GB of RAM with a 1 terrabyte hardrive

Specs Laptop B: Intel i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M-2GB
6GB of RAM and a 500GB Hardrive

(they're around the same cost)

More about : 8gb ram important

a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2013 12:34:36 AM

What kind of games do you intend to play on the laptop?
For the games I play (CPU intensive), I would choose the i7 machine - you can pretty much ignore the ram amount, I think 6GB is plenty for all but the most intensive games with other programs running too. If the games are more graphics intensive, the A10 machine with X-fire to the 7730m might be a better way to go IMO
Hope it helps some
m
l
February 10, 2013 12:45:47 AM

Thanks and games like TF2, BF3, Skyrim, and other rpgs. Thanks for the advice.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 2:00:00 AM

cornstalkhands said:
Im going to be buying a gaming laptop and i have two different ones that i am looking at laptop A has an extremely inferior processor, one rank below one the gpu benchmarks and has 8GB of RAM. Laptop B however has a very good processor its 8th on the scale, one higher on the gpu, but only has 6GB of RAM. So is this 2GB of RAM difference from 8 really going to hinder my gaming experience.

I purchased a gaming laptop for $2000 last year and I was very unhappy with the performance. It had an i7 cpu and would barely play COD black ops. I would recommend that you take the money and build a nice desktop unless you already have one.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 10, 2013 3:52:48 AM

swilczak said:
I purchased a gaming laptop for $2000 last year and I was very unhappy with the performance. It had an i7 cpu and would barely play COD black ops. I would recommend that you take the money and build a nice desktop unless you already have one.

I feel your pain. I didn't spend as much but had the same thing happen to me. Now, I can't stress enough...if you want to play first person shooter games then you need a desktop.

Also, I thought a laptop would be great to take around with me, but where? I'm not a student, so where would I take it? Especially now that tablets are cheap.

So, if you want a gaming laptop for BF3 then spend $1500+ and play it at Low/Med settings. If you spend $1000 on a desktop you can play it at High/Max. Your choice/money.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2013 4:09:43 AM

i totally agree, if you dont need portability, get a desktop... please.

the only reason i see for a laptop is if you travel... a lot.

if you bring a gaming laptop, it will drain the batt like there's no tomorrow. if you plug it to a wall, well yeah sure.

and, buck for buck, desktops are faster. and for the parts, laptops are just slower than their desktop counterpart. say a 670 vs a 670m.

not to mention, and this is important, after say 2 years, what can you upgrade in a laptop? ram, hdd? close to nothing in terms of improving importance. and if you replace it, you will be buying everything again. unlike a desktop where you could keep your case, monitor, KB mouse, PSU, (even rams sometimes) and GPU.
try doing that on a lappy
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:09:24 AM

No the 2GB won't make much of a difference. RAM is quite cheap and you can still add more RAM if you are unsatisfied with 6GB.

Btw if you aren't interested in a desktop then I recommend Laptop A.
I have a HP laptop with AMD A8-4500M with AMD Radeon HD 7640G(integrated) and 7670M(dedicated)GPU. The gaming performance is impressive for the price and heat levels are low as well. I am surprised that the Intel laptop is around the same price as the AMD laptop because Intel and Nvidia are known to be much more expensive than AMD.

Although the Intel processors are much faster than AMD processors, it doesn't necessarily perform better in games. Nowdays games are highly GPU intesive and require powerful graphics capabilities. Laptop A has both AMD APU as well as GPU making it a good choice for gaming. The integrated GPU and the dedicated GPU can work together and make it an extremely capable machine for gaming. You can definitely play Skyrim at ultra(although you might have to reduce anti-aliasing and anistrophic filtering). Intel's integrated HD graphics are very poor in gaming(cannot play even NFSMW at high graphics) and cannot work simultaneously with the Nvidia GPU. Moreover the Nvidia GeForce 640M GPU is not as good as the AMD Radeon HD 7730M GPU. However this is just my opinion and I hope that it helps in your decision.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:16:52 AM

cornstalkhands said:

There are no intensive games on laptops that will require the amd trinity crossfire setup, because simply put
the laptop screens have low resolutions. I will assume you bought a 15.6 monitor or a 17 inch monitor meaning you won't
play at 1920x1080 or above.
On the other hand i will have to suggest to you to check these 2 specific models of laptops for overheating while gaming. Google the 2 specific models (check the label underneath the laptop and see the "Model No ****" because i have seen many laptops with discrete cpus overheating and even shutting down while gaming. That's is the most important thing you must check, trust me. IF it overheats , even a fan laptop base won't save you, unless you play at 10celsius all the time.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 10, 2013 12:11:00 PM

You can play games on laptop...such as LoL or WoW. I wouldn't dare play Far Cry 3. Laptops would melt.

Overheating happens. My HP Envy overheated from intensive games on Low settings (even on 768p)
m
l
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2013 1:14:19 PM

cornstalkhands said:

The second laptop is far more powerful. a10 is at best equal to an i5 sandy (in multithread), the i7 should be more than twice as poweful. The 640m and the 7730m are about comparable (though if the 640m has gddr5 vram it will be far superior). The a10 cpu will bottleneck on certain games such as gw2, hitman, need for speed (the newest one) look at reviews for the msi gx60 if you don't believe me.

Hybrid crossfire will not work with that card. Hybrid crossfire in general does not work (broken drivers). Do not depend on hybrid crossfire. RAM can always be upgraded for about $40 (for 8GB) if you really need it.

Nvidia has good drivers for their mobile gpus (optimus, no enduro problems).

Many laptops do not have heat issues. Ill also tell you that a mobile i7 is very comparable to a desktop i5 (without overclocking). about 10-20% lower in single thread but 10% higher is multithread. Its the gpu that the problem with laptops.
m
l
!