Cant find case speaker, can I use normal speaker for POST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse_19

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Cant find my internal speaker, but my motherboard is failing and I need to get the post signal somehow.. can I use my PC speaker? My 4pin case speaker headers pinout is +5V, GND, GND, Speaker out and my PC speakeres input wire is +,-, copper shielding around those two wires.
Can I do it?

jesse_19

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, but I have to finish my diagnosis by tomorrow and Newegg takes a week to ship to British Columbia

jesse_19

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, unfortunately every other old PC I have has them built onto the motherboard. I might run to the local hardware shop tomorrow if they're open.. maybe they will give me one since I doubt they have them for sale just lying around somewhere in the back.
I'd rather just use a PC speaker but I havent a clue on how I'd wire it up as I only have 2 wires and it has 4.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
A piezo speaker has a high impedance, whereas a regular speaker's is very low. I'd be afraid of damaging the mobo by trying to drive what is essentially a short to ground with a circuit designed to oscillate with a piezo. If you have a high-value resistor around, or a small capacitor, you could alligator-clip that to the mobo pin and connect the other end to an amplified speaker lead, like from a desktop stereo setup. The speaker ground would go to the other pin. You might hear something, and all you want is post beeps.

Maybe you could dig the piezo out of an old cell phone or other piece of equipment that beeps, like a dead camera or that Christmas card your brother-in-law sent you that plays "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" when you open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.