Hardware issue i think

justkeeen18

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello,

the other day i got a blue screen iw a message to the effect o ...something something hardware failure..something something..

I managed to get a reinstall of windows 7 on, only to get the same hardware failure message.

one thing that i noticed was that wwhen i tried to change the boot drive in the boot screen sometimes the hard disks and dvd drive were there and other times they were not??

i have tried reinstalling windows 7 several times now, one error that i get wwhen doing so is dvd drive is un detected, yet it was there when i chose it as the boot drive.

the time that i did get windows re installed, the system was very sluggish.

my hardware is as follows

2x seagate baracudas 300gb hdds
1x seagate baracuda 80gb hdds
8800gt gpu
core i5 gpu
2x 2 gb ddr3
asus p8p67 le mb

any help apprecited, thank in advance!

Start with a new DVD drive, they are like $15 or $20.

BTW, you can list CD drive as the 1st thing in the boot order even if you don't have a CD drive installed, IIRC.

Personally, I have a very old DVD drive, from like 2000 or something crazy like that. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. If I plug it in, it takes me like 15 minutes to boot into Windows. If I unplug it then I am at the desktop in like 15 seconds.

Usually, because of this, I just leave it unplugged unless I absolutely need it.

I never would have guessed that my DVD drive was giving me problems if I didn't accidentally get a new case and forgot to plug it in and then wonder wth was going on when I started booting so fast.

I plugged it in, 15 min. Unplugged it again, 15 sec. So yeah that helped me to see what my problem was.

Anyway, I have one of the most restrictive budgets for parts out of anybody so even $15 is a big deal to me.

Hopefully it isn't that way for you.

I find most of the time people that come here can afford to drop the $15 with a reasonable likelihood of success so if that sounds like you, it may fix you right up.

As for me, it is still on my list of hardware I am hoping to find the budget for soon.