Sign in with
Your question

Why does my AMD Radeon 6870 crash, all the time?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2011 12:53:10 AM

Hey guys,
I have a visiontek radeon HD 6870 Graphics card that reaches about 80c when under load
Everytime I attempt to play some type of game, GTA 4 for instance, the computer freezes at random.
I am forced to run my games at the lowest graphics setting, with my GPU fans on high and even
then my computer freezes. PLEASE HELP ME!

my other specs:
8gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM
Phenom II X4 955
OCZ 850 Watt PSU
WD 1T HDD
October 29, 2011 3:15:11 AM

here are some specs when i tried to play BF3 on lowest settings,

also i forgot to mention that my MB is a ASRock 870 extreme 3

Any suggestions or anything would be awesome, as ive had this system for only a month and dont understand why i cant play any games whatsoever.
Thanks!

October 29, 2011 3:35:17 AM

your computer freezes and you automatically blame the video card? Thats like if my car stalls and i automatically blame the gearstick............... there are lots of things that can cause your computer to freeze. Start with the basics like updating all drivers, run memtest86+ to check our ram for errors, use a hard drive diagnostic tool, reinstall windows and your games, if anything is overclocked, remove the overclock, check CPU temperature etc, etc, etc. Go on, go do some of the things i suggested and get back to us.
Related resources
October 29, 2011 8:02:22 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
your computer freezes and you automatically blame the video card? Thats like if my car stalls and i automatically blame the gearstick............... there are lots of things that can cause your computer to freeze. Start with the basics like updating all drivers, run memtest86+ to check our ram for errors, use a hard drive diagnostic tool, reinstall windows and your games, if anything is overclocked, remove the overclock, check CPU temperature etc, etc, etc. Go on, go do some of the things i suggested and get back to us.

Ok i have done all you suggested. My drivers were updated fine, MemTest 86 showed no errors, Data Lifegaurd also had no errors, and i reinstalled all my gmaes and everything and the problem still persists. What now?
October 29, 2011 8:12:03 PM

I had similar problems with demanding games, for me it turned out it was overheating gpu that was the problem. Open Catalyst Control Centre and go to the overdrive panel. In the options there lover the gpu and memory settings as low as you can and set the fan on manual at abt 75%. Then run bf3 and see if you can play it without crashes.
October 29, 2011 8:47:41 PM

pixelpojken said:
I had similar problems with demanding games, for me it turned out it was overheating gpu that was the problem. Open Catalyst Control Centre and go to the overdrive panel. In the options there lover the gpu and memory settings as low as you can and set the fan on manual at abt 75%. Then run bf3 and see if you can play it without crashes.

I tried reducing the GPU setting to the lowest settings and the memory as well. Played a whole game of BF3 without it crashing but then when the "Your Team has Won" screen came up it crashed then. That seems really odd to me that it would crash when not under the high-load of in-game but under a simple end game scenario. Any more suggestions?
October 29, 2011 9:07:20 PM

Have you tried applying a fresh dosh of thermal?
How's the ventilation in your case? Is it standing on the ground high up?
October 29, 2011 9:38:01 PM

I agree with Gnomio, get cpuz or something that monitors the temp of your cpu and check under load and idling. If your comp is old the paste might be all dried up and in need of replacing. Not that big risk though, just one of many things that it could be I guess.
October 29, 2011 10:05:44 PM

Wl ive literally only had this sytsem for about a month but will try a CPU thermometer and let you know how that looks.

thanks for the advice
November 30, 2011 2:47:52 AM

I have the same exact problem, just a lot more extreme, it crashes about every 30 seconds, please let me know if you find a solution, I'm getting ready to just RMA this thing and try a new one, heres a link to my thread, thanks for any help!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/334533-33-6870-driver...
December 14, 2011 5:58:58 PM

Me to: And I have tried everything ??? took off all but C drive for PSU 600 GS for maximum wattage check, reinstalled DirectX files, tried latest and earlier ATI drivers, check MB settings for PCIe x16 slot, used monitoring software said GPU was to hot at times while in BF3 game, on and on and on!!! LOL yet when I play non browser related online game like BC2 it work great at highest settings...
January 28, 2012 9:45:07 AM

did you found a solution for bf3. it really sucks!
January 28, 2012 12:04:46 PM

Downclocking maybe? But not too much, I think you better RMA your GPU, also is anything else OK?
!