8800GT stopped working

fsayyed

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi, I have an old system with a 8800gt in it. I accidentally closed the case up one day after making some hardware changes and one of the wires got caught in the graphics card fans. it overheated and stopped. I could smell some burning and the computer wouldnt start after that. so i took out the pci-e cable from the graphics card and it booted up fine. The performance however was reduced since it was not receiving enough power. Anyone know what exactly I can do to fix it to work with the pci-e power?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Once you've had an electrical device overheat enough to smell burning and quit working, get rid of it. It isn't worth the risk of 1) damaging other components, and 2) causing further electrical damage like fires. It's unsafe to use now.
I'm thinking you burned up the little fan motor. The GPU will over heat without it running anyway.

fsayyed

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

you say that but everything works fine on it, including the fan, as long as the pci-e is not connected

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the fan is still working... OK. Use at your own risk. But if plugging in the PCIe power cable causes the card to fail, something is fried. As it is you are limited to the 75W the PCIe slot provides.

One possibility is that the card is OK and the PCIe circuit tripped on the PSU. If your PSU has split rails and a second PCIe cable, try it. Or, if possible, try the card in a 2nd computer w/the PCIe cable plugged in.

fsayyed

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah i tried that straight away but that didnt work. Neither did a new PSU. Well im buying a making a new PC anyways, just thought maybe i could revive this old one with a few upgrades, maybe even sli it. Not to worry

Usually the computer will shut itself off before it kills itself. If the card still works, you might want to try it. the 8800GT is an old card and most likely has accumulated some dust, and that is most likely what was burning.