Sony's Phil Harrison - Killzone is going to look like the ..

Last response: in Video Games
May 21, 2005 5:27:21 PM

Straight from the horse's mouth..

In an interview Phil Harrison, Senior VP of Sony Games Development
Games, said Killzone will be exactly like the video.

His exact words:

"It was video - for the simple reason too many games running off
dev-kits."

Interviewer: "Is it running to the game, the playstation specs or is it
not running?"

Phil: "Every you saw in the tape is either game engine or done to spec.
That is what the games or going to look like, its going to be what they
play like, and its only scratching the surface...."

Interviewer: "So I'm going to get killzone in my house and play that?"

Phil:"Absolutely"

http://www.g4tv.com/e32005/videos/index.html

Seventh box from top.

So there we go. It is genuine according to Sony's VP of Games
Development. I assume he is genuine and knows what he is talking about,
so until proof to the contrary the Killzone video is genuine and the
PS3 can do what some respected programmers and game developers have
claimed is impossible - and that is generate movie-type CGI. It's here,
it's been done, the video is the proof and next year we can all play
the game and see for ourselves.

Killzone fan
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:51:55 PM

Well I know practically nothing about console specs but I do know it's
not just about the processing power as much as what you do with it. If
consoles were all about specs, Sony would make all the games for their
machines but they don't - game developers throughout the world do
because they know how to get the most out of the hardware.

Assuming Killzone is genuine footage then it doesn't really matter if
Xbox 360 or Nintendo's Revolution are more powerful. Sony's set the new
benchmark in CGI and it's up to the competition to rival that.

Killzone fan
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:34:11 PM

> Interviewer: "So I'm going to get killzone in my house and play that?"
>
> Phil:"Absolutely"

I might be inclined to believe him, except Sony said PS2 was going to
have "toy story" graphics last time.You remember that?=)

The current stuff coming out of the tech sites give the PS3 CPU the nod,
but give the Xbox 360 GPU the nod.

At this point, I doubt anyone will be in a position to say which system
is "faster" until they've both been on the market for a bit. I certainly
wouldn't take either MS or Sony's word on it.
May 22, 2005 4:28:10 AM

http://plazma.freespaces.com -Personal Site
"Killzone fan" <binarycode@onetel.net.uk> wrote in message
> Straight from the horse's mouth..
>
> In an interview Phil Harrison, Senior VP of Sony Games Development
> Games, said Killzone will be exactly like the video.
>
> His exact words:
>
> "It was video - for the simple reason too many games running off
> dev-kits."
>
> Interviewer: "Is it running to the game, the playstation specs or is it
> not running?"
>
> Phil: "Every you saw in the tape is either game engine or done to spec.
> That is what the games or going to look like, its going to be what they
> play like, and its only scratching the surface...."
>
> Interviewer: "So I'm going to get killzone in my house and play that?"
>
> Phil:"Absolutely"
>

> http://www.g4tv.com/e32005/videos/index.html
>
> Seventh box from top.
>
> So there we go. It is genuine according to Sony's VP of Games
> Development. I assume he is genuine and knows what he is talking about,
> so until proof to the contrary the Killzone video is genuine and the
> PS3 can do what some respected programmers and game developers have
> claimed is impossible - and that is generate movie-type CGI. It's here,
> it's been done, the video is the proof and next year we can all play
> the game and see for ourselves.
>
> Killzone fan

That pre-rendered footage isn't proof of anything but the fact that Sony is
great at marketing their products. Do i sincerely hope it is real? Of
course... Even if i was a die hard Xbox fan, i would be hoping that is real.
Do i believe it? Of course not. I know Sony tactics and how manipulative
they are. They brainwash the weak, but a true artist can see that several
things in that Killzone video are not practical and most likely impossible
in realtime gameplay. There are a lot of things that give it away quite
easily.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:52:41 PM

Killzone fan wrote:

> Straight from the horse's mouth..

Yeah, and Microsoft's Robbie Bach said they'd eventually have one billion
people playing their games. One BILLION. Straight from the horse's mouth, so
it must be true. I mean, why wouldn't you believe the suit at the top who's
trying to hype his new game machine as opposed to the developer, who said
the Killzone video was meant to give a *representation* of the *look and
feel* of the game?

This one is gonna come back to bite them in the ass, and HARD. This is the
"the PS2 can do Toy Story graphics in real time" of the next generation. I
feel sorry for Guerilla. Their first game gets hyped as a Halo-killer then
turns out to run at 20 FPS and be just about the most boring and generic
shooter of the last couple of years, and now their follow-up is being hyped
as having real-time gameplay visuals that are better than, say, that shitty
Final Fantasy movie. Maybe if they didn't have to live up to this hype
peoiple would buy their games and not be so disappointed at how totally
average they are.

> "It was video - for the simple reason too many games running off
> dev-kits."

That may be the single stupidest thing anyone at Sony said during all of E3.

-Z-
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:12:13 AM

"emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Interviewer: "So I'm going to get killzone in my house and play that?"
>>
>> Phil:"Absolutely"
>
> I might be inclined to believe him, except Sony said PS2 was going to
> have "toy story" graphics last time.You remember that?=)

I think it's sad that people keep saying that. I don't really understand
why. We were given two infamous comments, one is the "toy story" graphics,
and the other is the "jacking into the matrix" comment. Those seems to be
the only things people remember about the PS2 marketing campaign. But we
were given tech-demos, and strangely enough, people doesn't care about
those. They would rather attack sony for some of their unfortunate wordings,
instead of watching the demonstrations of what the PS2 could do. And if they
*think* they remember the tech-demos, they also say that what we got was
nowhere near as good as those. Well, I have news for you. We did. In fact,
we surpassed them. Check out any of the tech-demos on IGN, they're still
available for download. You'll find them to be quite bad, compared to the
latest and best looking PS2 games. So instead of listening to what Sony
says, just look at the demos and I have a feeling they will give us a more
than fair indication on what the PS3 have the ability to do.

Tommy

PS: this wasn't directly aimed at you. I've given it a lot of thought
lately, and it seems people forget more than they're willing to admit. When
you mentioned the "toy story" comment, I thought I'd write down my side of
the story.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 6:51:40 PM

"emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net> writes:

> I might be inclined to believe him, except Sony said PS2 was going to
> have "toy story" graphics last time.You remember that?=)

You really need to get over this. It's like neocons who still make
jokes about Al Gore "inventing the internet".

I mean, *yawn* already.

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])