Wireless printer and LAN Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverside71

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello

I have a Canon MX420 connected wirelessly to my Linksys router. The printer works fine and I can print through wireless connected laptops around the house.

My desktop however is connected directly into the LAN port of the router. I am unable to locate the printer when I search for a network printer to add it. The computer works fine and can access the internet etc.

What am I missing? shouldn't I be able to see the wireless printer connected to the router through the LAN port, or would I have to enable some kind of config in the router, and what?

Please help!!!

Solution
If you can ping the wireless printer from the same machine that can't locate it when adding the printer, than something is purposely blocking it. And that suggests a local firewall. Normally any outbound requests are not filtered through the firewall, but who knows, maybe the printer's installer is trying to install a local service for some reason (maybe for bidirectional support) and the firewall is preventing it. So if you do have a local firewall (Windows, Norton, McAfee, etc.), disable it for the time being and see if it helps.
Makes sure all your devices (computers and the printer) are using the same workgroup name. Otherwise, some devices will be invisible to others.

Because Windows name resolution in a Windows for Workgroups setting is so lame, it’s always possible your network browser simply hasn’t been updated as yet w/ the printer’s name and IP address. That can take anywhere from several minutes, up to several HOURS in the worst cases, depending on your network.

NOTE: You don't have to use the Windows name to use/access a device. As long as you know the IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.100), you can usually just specify that IP address anywhere you would normally specify the name. The name is strictly a convenience, not a necessity.

riverside71

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

They are all the same..

I tried that.. I used my printer's address 192.168.0.103 in the connect to printer dialogue, but it couldn't find it. I can ping the printer from my desktop fine!!

this is so frustrating.. (I'm using Windows XP SP3 if that matters).

If you can ping the wireless printer from the same machine that can't locate it when adding the printer, than something is purposely blocking it. And that suggests a local firewall. Normally any outbound requests are not filtered through the firewall, but who knows, maybe the printer's installer is trying to install a local service for some reason (maybe for bidirectional support) and the firewall is preventing it. So if you do have a local firewall (Windows, Norton, McAfee, etc.), disable it for the time being and see if it helps.

Solution

riverside71

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I had windows firewall only.. disabling it now shows the WORKGROUP when I search for the printer. Clicking it doesn''t lead anywhere.

I still cannot see the printer on the network.. It is very strange.. I should be able to, but I'm not..

riverside71

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Problem resolved!

I deleted everything on the computer and started from scratch. This once, I kept the firewall closed at installation time. I only chose to install the driver, nothing else. Also I had the printer started before I turned the desktop on. The installation process was able to find the printer and everything worked after that.. even when I turned the firewall on..

Thanks for the help eibgrad..

Status
Not open for further replies.