Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless printer and LAN Desktop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 16, 2011 4:16:51 PM

Hello

I have a Canon MX420 connected wirelessly to my Linksys router. The printer works fine and I can print through wireless connected laptops around the house.

My desktop however is connected directly into the LAN port of the router. I am unable to locate the printer when I search for a network printer to add it. The computer works fine and can access the internet etc.

What am I missing? shouldn't I be able to see the wireless printer connected to the router through the LAN port, or would I have to enable some kind of config in the router, and what?

Please help!!!
a b X LAN
April 16, 2011 5:11:03 PM

Makes sure all your devices (computers and the printer) are using the same workgroup name. Otherwise, some devices will be invisible to others.

Because Windows name resolution in a Windows for Workgroups setting is so lame, it’s always possible your network browser simply hasn’t been updated as yet w/ the printer’s name and IP address. That can take anywhere from several minutes, up to several HOURS in the worst cases, depending on your network.

NOTE: You don't have to use the Windows name to use/access a device. As long as you know the IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.100), you can usually just specify that IP address anywhere you would normally specify the name. The name is strictly a convenience, not a necessity.
m
l
April 16, 2011 7:42:46 PM

eibgrad said:
Makes sure all your devices (computers and the printer) are using the same workgroup name. Otherwise, some devices will be invisible to others.

They are all the same..

eibgrad said:
NOTE: You don't have to use the Windows name to use/access a device. As long as you know the IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.100), you can usually just specify that IP address anywhere you would normally specify the name. The name is strictly a convenience, not a necessity.

I tried that.. I used my printer's address 192.168.0.103 in the connect to printer dialogue, but it couldn't find it. I can ping the printer from my desktop fine!!

this is so frustrating.. (I'm using Windows XP SP3 if that matters).
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b X LAN
April 16, 2011 10:07:34 PM

If you can ping the wireless printer from the same machine that can't locate it when adding the printer, than something is purposely blocking it. And that suggests a local firewall. Normally any outbound requests are not filtered through the firewall, but who knows, maybe the printer's installer is trying to install a local service for some reason (maybe for bidirectional support) and the firewall is preventing it. So if you do have a local firewall (Windows, Norton, McAfee, etc.), disable it for the time being and see if it helps.
April 18, 2011 8:46:29 PM

I had windows firewall only.. disabling it now shows the WORKGROUP when I search for the printer. Clicking it doesn''t lead anywhere.

I still cannot see the printer on the network.. It is very strange.. I should be able to, but I'm not..
m
l
April 19, 2011 2:59:59 PM

Problem resolved!

I deleted everything on the computer and started from scratch. This once, I kept the firewall closed at installation time. I only chose to install the driver, nothing else. Also I had the printer started before I turned the desktop on. The installation process was able to find the printer and everything worked after that.. even when I turned the firewall on..

Thanks for the help eibgrad..
m
l
April 26, 2011 2:11:05 AM

Best answer selected by riverside71.
m
l
!