thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello!

I'm having a bit of a problem with my new computer (which I had on my old as well). About 1-5 times per hour my computer kind of freezes up for the duration of maybe half a second to a second. This is starting to become very annoying but I have no idea what may be causing the problem. I live in Sweden but I bought the CPU and the GPU in USA so I really hope it isn't the CPU since I don't really know how the warranty will work if that is the case. Iv got a i7 2600k, Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1866Mhz and a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3. I guess those are the only specs that matter?

I tried using only one memory stick at a time and in different slots but the problem persisted so I guess it isn't the memory? Unless there is something wrong with BOTH of the sticks. I really don't know how I am supposed to troubleshoot further. Is there any way to see which component that may be causing the problem without actually use the components with different ones? Because that is not the luxury I have at the moment.

The weirdest thing is that I kind of had the same problem with my old computer but not as frequent but with longer freezes. The only thing these computers have in common is that I took the harddrives from my old and used them in my new. But can that really be the problem? That one or both of the harddrives can cause these kind of freezes?

To clarify: My computer freezes up for about half a second about 3 times per hour. After the mini freeze my computer keeps on going as if nothing happened and I haven't had any other problem with the computer. How do I troubleshoot this?

Any kind of tip is welcome!

How much do you value the data contents of the drives?

If the problem transferred from one computer to another and the hard drives are all you brought forward then they should definitely be eyed suspiciously.

You could try taking all but one hard drive out and then seeing if that helps. If it persists switch the one remaining for a different one until you go through them all and see if conditions ever improve.

This will require you not to hold the contents of your drives too dear because you will have to delete them and install windows on each drive when you want to use a different drive as your boot drive every time.

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

I should have mentioned that I DID format the drives before using them in my new computer. I was using them with RAID in my old but I didn't want RAID for my new so I had to format them. So if either of them is causing problems then it would be on a more electronic level I guess?

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

I will definitely try that. At the moment I'm at my parents during the holiday so can't try it in the immediate future. But if someone else has any good tips or advice so I can test abit when I come home, that would be great :)

Whenever you do try it, please post a new response with the results, even if you posted the final response before.

If you edit your old post with the results, I may never see it. I check all the threads I have previously posted in routinely for new posts, but I don't think edits will trigger the new post message.

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

I will do a new reply in this thread :)

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello!

I removed my harddrive I use for storage today and it actually seemes like the mini freezes has stopped. I actually didn't think it would make a difference but it really did. I'm gonna try connecting it to another SATA port or something to see if I still can use it without the mini freezes because it's on 1,5 TB so I would like to keep using it :p thanks for the help so far =)

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
It seems like it got worse instead. I will need to install windows on the drive I removed and then remove my current drive instead. I will keep updating this thread.

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
My best guess it's a power saving issue. Probably a drive that is powered down is accessed by something at certain times. During the spin-up of the drive your system momentarily freezes. Try seeing what happens if you turn off powersaving for your harddrives.

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

this was the only power option I found for the harddrives: http://imgur.com/qai6d It was set to 20 minutes but I changed it to never. I also looked in the device manager but I didn't find any power options for the individual devices in there.

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
The power options did not help and I have now installed windows on the drive that I used as storage drive and the former windows drive is unplugged. It seemed like everything was fine but I am starting to notice these freezes again. It seems like they are more likely to occur and are more serious when the computer has been on for a longer time. If it's not the harddrives then it will be very difficult to troubleshoot this problem =/ anyone who has any ideas?

thebailern1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I got a bluescreen saying that it was caused by memory_management today so I ran memtest86+ on both sticks induvidually but no errors was found. If no errors was found during a memtest but I got a bluescreen because of memory_management, could it be the motherboard?