Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First attempt at a gameing PC that will last more than 6 months.

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2011 11:33:39 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 3-6 months (depending on prices) i would prefer 3month range but i can wait if something a lot better is coming out soon that will lower the overall cost.

Budget Range: under $2,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: hard core gaming - minimal web usage will also double as a School PC for me while i finish my bachelors.

Mainly I play everquest, WoW, Eve, Skyrim (when I get this PC built)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, Blue ray player (I’m old school if you want to watch a movie turn on your TV, I don't need a big hard drive, but I’m not sure what i can expect to need in the next 2-5 years

Preferred Website(s) most reliable and trusted > price.

Country: USA I will be putting it together or the local Tec guy if i feel the need to use a hammer ;) 

Parts Preferences: I would prefer a full tower to allow for easier upgrading and assembly. I would like to have 16-24GB of Ram (4x8GB sticks is my personal preference) but again I am flexible.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe I’m 100% unsure i have heard a lot of pros and cons about OCing void warranty. Not sure if that outweighs the benefits.

SLI or Crossfire: unsure

Monitor Resolution: i currently use 1366 x 768 but I’m not dead set on keeping it.

Additional Comments: for years I have dealt with lag in games, sometimes a little sometimes a lot. I am at the point now where i can't run my old games on my new laptop (cheapest one they sold at Wal-Mart) I wanted to try a laptop and i found i hate them.

Current parts Ideal (probably very horrible set up overall and completely incompatible. but that’s why I am asking you experts for advice first :) 

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

I picked this case some what for it looks but mostly because it looks like it will make cooling alot easyer. but if anyone knows of a better full size option.
case: $119 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MoBo: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z ROG Motherboard $359 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K BX80623I72600K Unlocked Processor $320
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Power Supply: 1200W $329 (w/o $30 rebate) Http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Video card: 2GB GDDR5 $419 (w/o $40 rebate) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Ram DDR3 133mhz 4x 8gb sticks http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

fan's / cooling - yet to decide. 0
HD - kind of wating on the price to drop back down befor I pick one.

CD/DVD basic $25 (only use it for loading games)

Sound card: I'm not sure of the diffrence.

not sure if i want WIFI or not, I have heard it slows down a desktops performance on the web.

Total price: $2,114.91 (w/o $90 In mail in rebates.)

I am 100% willing to listen to you guys, and swap parts overall goal is most bang for my buck, and to not have to need to upgrade again for at least 2 years. I just want a system that I can play the games I enjoy again. with out tons of lag.

I should have mentioned this earlier, After I graduate in 3 years, this will become a work computer, for IT security / programming.

More about : attempt gameing months

Best solution

December 27, 2011 11:43:42 AM

Well, I would certainly drop to Win 7 x64 Home Premium (OEM) - that's only $99 on newegg.

That card is crazy - but also a generation behind current (SLI'd 460s instead of the 5XX series). For that price you could Xfire two 6870s or get a better single card. And the 7XXX AMDs should be out in the next 3-6 months.

32gb of ram is way way overkill for gaming (esp at $300). Get yourself a good 2x4gb setup (G.skill or Corsair) which should only run you $50.

Get a high efficiency Seasonic, XFX or Antec 750-900W PSU instead of the overkill 1200W.

Mobo is awesome, but likely also overkill - plenty of good Z68 boards in the $150 range. I like gigabyte and asus boards.

December 27, 2011 11:54:04 AM

If you only gaming i7-2600k is not a necessity. i5-2500k is VERY VERY similar in games.

For a single High-end VGA card. a 600w quality PSU is enough. For SLI/Crossfire a 800W PSU can do even 2* GTX 570, only go higher if you intent to SLI GTX 580 for example.

I agree about the RAM. Too much overkill. Even my 16GB setup is overkill. Go for 16GB at MAX if you only gaming.

With your budget aim at Single card more than SLI/Crossfire. It's expensive, but less noise, less heat, less scalability problems, less microstuttering problems.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2011 12:11:22 PM

Come back after 2 months, prices will be lowered. Also Ivy bridge coming out Q2 2012 and new AMD 7xxx series and NVIDIA 6xx series cards will be presented by that time.
m
l
December 28, 2011 12:35:07 AM

Well, you guys have given me quite a bit to consider. That only leaves the question how long will it be above the gaming par with the changes in the MoBo, Ram, and Video?

m
l
December 29, 2011 5:53:50 AM

Best answer selected by k_blox.
m
l
!