Not sure if this PSU is the right one

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
April 3, 2012 4:52:24 AM

I'm going to be building the following system:

i5-2500k (not overclocked yet), 128GB SSD, maybe 1 optical drive, 8GB RAM, either 1x 6870/7850 video card (or nVidia equivalent).

I was looking for that page that has all the PSUs ranked by Tiers, but I couldn't find it.

How is the Antec Earthwatts EA-650D model?

I am not too sure about the (dual?) rails or anything, so I really have no idea if that would be sufficient.

More about : psu

April 3, 2012 5:47:06 AM

I was looking at that PSU on sale for 50, but it had lots of bad reviews. The smaller earthwatts had good ratings, just the 650 was bad. Could be lots of idiots buy them. I am an Antec fan. Looked up UL listing to see who made it for them and Antec is listed at the mfg. See PSU 101 and mfg list on this site.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 6:02:33 AM

e56imfg said:
That PSU is ample for your needs. Even a 500W PSU can run your system with room to spare. Go to the Recommended PSU list on my sig.

Collection of Power Supply Info

Eggxpert Tiered Power Supply List

Single 12V rail or multiple 12V rails? The eternal question answered

Thanks for that. What do you think about the following post:

"For a system using a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

There are at least three Thermaltake Litepower Series 600W models and you didn't specify which one you have.

The now discontinued Thermaltake Litepower Series 600W (W0356), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850.

The Thermaltake Litepower Series 600W (LT-600 / LT-600P), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850." (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/330840-28-600w-suffic...)

- He mentions a minimum of 500W. Is it safe to perhaps run it at 550W with overclocking of the processor? What about video cards in the future (would they draw more power requiring an upgrade)? Even if I have a aftermarket 212 processor cooler on there (forgot to mention that earlier)?

MegaMan1 said:
I was looking at that PSU on sale for 50, but it had lots of bad reviews. The smaller earthwatts had good ratings, just the 650 was bad. Could be lots of idiots buy them. I am an Antec fan. Looked up UL listing to see who made it for them and Antec is listed at the mfg. See PSU 101 and mfg list on this site.

It's $59 currently, and I thought that was a good price. Was it $50 with tax for you? I always thought the Antec Earthwatts series was solid :/ 
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:39:23 AM

e56imfg said:
ko888 is correct. But the 24 amps is the bare minimum you should have.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5625/44678.png

The OC 7850 pulls 311W from the wall, or about 26 amps, with an overclocked 3960x @ 4.3Ghz.
AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition & Radeon HD 7850 Review: Rounding Out Southern Islands

I recommend a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W. PSUs run at max efficiency at 40 to 50% load. Efficiency + = - heat. You can also upgrade to Crossfire if you wanted to in the future.

Oh wow, that's really taking me higher than where I needed to be on price.

Is there anything cheaper that you would recommend? Ideally on Amazon.

I will not be able to crossfire/SLI. My mobo apparently only supports one card at a time, or something of that nature.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 12:04:12 PM

The Antec Earthwatts is a very solid series of PSUs including the 650W version. It is more than sufficient to handle your rig and any OC you might want to try. On your question about a 550W being able to handle an OC with your config: yes, as long as it's a reputable mfr/product, you should add 5-10A on the minimum recommendation to account for the OC. 5A should be sufficient for a moderate OC.
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:49:23 PM

Rugger said:
The Antec Earthwatts is a very solid series of PSUs including the 650W version. It is more than sufficient to handle your rig and any OC you might want to try. On your question about a 550W being able to handle an OC with your config: yes, as long as it's a reputable mfr/product, you should add 5-10A on the minimum recommendation to account for the OC. 5A should be sufficient for a moderate OC.

But does the Earthwatts model have the all the 24amps/12v rails (?) (that ko888 mentioned) and everything that I would need (as compared to the Corsair enthusiast PSU also recommended in this thread)? I've been reading the help threads for PSUs but all the electrical terminology is over my head :( 
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 5:00:38 PM

The Antec Earthwatts EA-650 has two 12V rails and each of those rails has 38A. It is more than sufficient for your rig. To be honest a good quality 500W+ PSU is all that you need, but the EA-650 will definitely run your rig. The Corsair that was suggested is also a great PSU and would give you more than enough power for your rig but it's also $25 more than the Antec. I would save the money and go for the Antec.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 5:03:04 PM

The EA-650 can deliver all 650W, or 54 amps, on the 12v rails.

Rosewill RG530-S12 530-Watt is the cheapest, reliable 530W PSU that I could find. It delivers 41 amps on the 12v rail, which is ample for a single 7850.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:03:16 PM

Rugger said:
The Antec Earthwatts EA-650 has two 12V rails and each of those rails has 38A. It is more than sufficient for your rig. To be honest a good quality 500W+ PSU is all that you need, but the EA-650 will definitely run your rig. The Corsair that was suggested is also a great PSU and would give you more than enough power for your rig but it's also $25 more than the Antec. I would save the money and go for the Antec.

Perfect, thank you! I don't mind having more power (in the end, electricity draw can't be *that* substantial) especially because the computer isn't on 24/7. I think in this case, the $25 is helpful for me to assign it towards my case purchase.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:08:16 PM

e56imfg said:
The EA-650 can deliver all 650W, or 54 amps, on the 12v rails.

Rosewill RG530-S12 530-Watt is the cheapest, reliable 530W PSU that I could find. It delivers 41 amps on the 12v rail, which is ample for a single 7850.

Oh, this one would have been better on Amazon (no tax), but it has shipping. At that point with a $5 difference, I'll probably get the Antec. Thank you though. I didn't actually think that Rosewill made "premium" products but this site is really turning that notion around.
m
l
a c 131 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 5:22:24 PM

Rosewill used to offer junk PSUs, any many still think they do. All their recent models, however, have received favorable competent technical reviews.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:25:12 PM

The 500w Antec earthwatts has 44amps on the 12v rails. Enjoy.
m
l
!