A good case for my first build

Xolotl_72

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I am looking for a good case for my first build. I don't care a lot about most "advanced features" that come with some of the more expensive cases and not that much about looks either.

So what I need is a good value case that gets the job done, not more and not less. Low noise, high cooling power for decent overclocking, and easy to handle for a first time builder.

I have done a lot of research for a few days and want to get some first hand experience from other users now. I am currently looking at these 4(5):

Fractal Design Define R3 ~ 95 €

Corsair 600t ~130 €

Cooler Master Storm Trooper ~ 130€

Cooler Master 690 II ~ 95-105 €

NZXT Phantom / Phantom 410 ~ 120-130 / 95 €

I am strongly leaning towards the Fractal Design Define R3 but I have a hard time deciding.

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Just got the 500R for my build last month and couldn't be happier, lots of room for my 6950 (10.5" long) and heat sink (XIGMATEK Gaia), great cable management, the fans that come with the case are super quiet and all my components are nice and cool. The white LEDs on the fans are sweet looking although I always have them off, I'm not a big fan of flashy computers. I've heard good things about all the other cases you have listed too. I'm not a fan of the front panel door though after my last computer having one, I just ended up taking the door off as it always got in my way.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices though. Good luck!

Xolotl_72

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
thanks for suggesting the Lian Li PC-K59, it looks quite amazing for that price. is there any drawback?

The 500r also looks really nice although I am looking at the 600t right now because I would prefer the bigger fans that come with it. I have also read that Corsair fans are supposedly not that great? I really want to use the fans that come with the cases for the time being...

I believe all my add on fans are from Xigmatek, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

I haven't used the monster HAF X or anything, but I haven't really found anything that I particularly dislike about my case.

The middle tray is removable, actually they all are but if you want to have the hard drives in a tray then you need to leave the bottom one in. I, however, leave my middle tray out so the fan blows directly onto my video card without being obstructed by the middle bay.

Anyway, the high end cases pretty much all accomplish the exact same thing more or less. It is just the nit picky details that are different really.

That being said, I think my case is worth a lot more than it costs retail. I don't know that I would pay more than retail for a lot of those others, though.

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

In terms of cooling the fans are great on the 500, I've had it for just over a month now and no issues at all with the case. I also did the same as Raiddinn with the middle hard drive try, no need for it for me so I removed for the extra air flow. That side 200mm is a beast fan, I'm looking at getting some sort of filter for the side panel, haven't found anything I like yet though. It also comes with a bottom filter for the PSU which is nice but the front filter is a bit of a pain to get at. It's also nice to have the switches on the front for the fan LEDs and 3 speed fan controller built in.

I think you are safe with what ever you pick of the choices you listed plus the Lian Li, I would just go with which ever one you like the best.