Sign in with
Your question

What do I need in a Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2013 4:54:10 PM

Hey there. I am looking to build a decent gaming computer in a low budget (750$ would be pushing it, without including a monitor, mouse, keyboard, or tower). I need a good motherboard, but I have absolutely no clue what to look for. I am pretty set on the following configuration, and all I really need is an idea for a motherboard, but if you see anything that I should change, let me know. Oh, and I don’t know much of anything about RAM either, so my current choice is a tentative one. Advice on that would be welcome as well.

CPU: AMD Vishera Fx-6300 6-core for 129.99

Motherboard: ???

RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Master 8gb for 47.99 - not sure on this one, either

Graphics: AMD HD-7850 Radeon 2gb for 199.99

Hard Drive: WD Black 500gb 7200 RPM SATA 6mb cache for 64.99

Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series Rg630-S12 630W for 59.99

I am not planning on doing crossfire or overclocking, but I would prefer to have those features available so I have room to expand later if I want to. Thank you so much for the help!

By the way, I know very little about building computers, so please be patient and forgive any sort of ignorance I might show. Sorry.

More about : motherboard

February 10, 2013 5:19:22 PM

Wow. Thanks for the speedy response!

Quick question, though, to help me learn and understand: What about that board makes it a good one?
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 5:23:39 PM

First, does it support all of the other parts at a base level.

Next, does it optimally support all of your parts? (PCI-E 3, SATA 3, RAM speed, etc)

There are other factors such as warranty and brand, but if you're going for functionality on a budget, know that the difference between support and optimal support is what makes a good motherboard a great motherboard.
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:35:55 PM

i8myhippo said:
First, does it support all of the other parts at a base level.

Next, does it optimally support all of your parts? (PCI-E 3, SATA 3, RAM speed, etc)

There are other factors such as warranty and brand, but if you're going for functionality on a budget, know that the difference between support and optimal support is what makes a good motherboard a great motherboard.

Would you agree, then, that the board suggested by Blackbird (asrock 970 extreme3 6gb/s) is a good one for my configuration?
m
l
a c 973 V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 5:48:46 PM

Yes it will fit your needs.
m
l
February 10, 2013 6:22:23 PM

Thank you! I think I'll add that to my list.
m
l
!