No POST, blank screen, and Power button won't turn it off

zofotoziggy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, first time builder, and I looked into everything I could to get this computer to run.

*AMD Zambezi 3.6 GHz 8-core processor FX-8150
Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo
G. Skill 16 gb DDR3 ram
OCZ 850W psu
SAPPHIRE Radeon 6970 2gb vga

Once I got everything attached, wired, and whatnot, turned the system on and everything turned on, but no beep, and no signal to the monitor. The board has a troubleshoot light system built into it, and the CPU light was on.
Had an IT friend look it over, tried swapping my graphics card out with his, and it fried his card.
Replaced that mobo, and the second one did send a signal for a second to the monitor, and then stopped. CPU light is on again, so in the process of RMAing the cpu.

Any suggestions on how, if this persists with a new CPU, to get the signal to send to the monitor, or to get the power button to turn off the system without having to switch off the power supply?

zofotoziggy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
May have found the solution, but need my cpu back from being RMA'd before I can test. There was a setup I was following when I set my system up, and found out my board is too new for to follow the old setup.

You know, manuals always hide the important stuff in the fine print

zofotoziggy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I wired the power to cpu and the second power port on my video card together, because a friend somehow is able to run his system that way. Now I feel slightly dumb if that's the case, but still not sure how that would have fried his card when he put his card in the same way, and my card seems fine.

zofotoziggy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Alright, so I've done a few new things, and I'm a little further along, but still screwed. Got a new CPU, have proper power, and now, after realizing that I had the wrong model number for compatible memory, have new Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM. Problem is that the Memory light is on on the board, and when I press the MemOK! button, the CPU light flashes for a few seconds, as well as the Memory light, and the the memory eventually goes back to a solid red.

TRENDING THREADS