Who Wants to See Sony Lose to MS??

Last response: in Video Games
May 22, 2005 1:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.

For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the next
gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
base. Examples:

1. Sony lies about its Home Theater Receiver Specs. Oh, they'll gladly
sell you a 7 channel 100 W per channel receiver, but it'll only put out
about 25-30 Watts per channel with 5 channels driven simultaneously. The
competition (that sells for the same, or less) will put out 65-75 Watts per
channel

2. Their first batch of HDTV-Ready rear projection sets in 2000, 2001 (4:3
aspect ratio) had un-calibrated 16:9 images. Was closer to 16:8. Made
objects appear fatter. Sony's response? Not a problem, and they refused to
fix anyone's sets. Owners had to tweak it themselves.

3. Own a LCD front projector and a pixel dies under warranty? No problem.
Just live with it. Sony wont replace the LCD panel. In Sony's eyes, you
wont notice that Red/Green/Blue dot unless you "look" for it. Yeah, right.

4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??

- Sammy

More about : sony lose

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:15:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message

</snipped bullshit rant>

So basically you want to blame Sony for you being an uneducated consumer?
The PS2 was built 2 years before the XBox, A-DER, I guess it would be better
in the graphics and sound department.

Most LCD projector companies don't allow for a return of repair on a few
stuck or dead pixels.
Again, you need to do your homework before purchasing electronic equipment.

All receivers claim certain specs on the front of the box. Next time try
flipping it over and realizing you get the most wattage out of 2 channel
(L&R front sound).
The most channels you drive the less wattage per channel you get. Again,
A-DER!

You need to educate yourself before foolishly spending your money. Maybe
than you won't bitch and moan so much.

I want MS to better this time around just to keep Sony on their heels and MS
striving to be number 1.
Competition will only be better for all of us, the consumer.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I think it would be funny if nobody bought either of the two new consoles,
it would let Ms & SoNy know we want to see amazing new tech leaps, not just
more fluff the pooch.

I'm going to spend my money on games I really want on either of the old
systems & my PC, when they come out with X-Box 3 & or PS4 then I'll take
another look.

Who knows maybe some other excentric billionare like Paris Hilton will spend
some dough on creating something new and really amazing, maybe she'll team
up with Apple and Steve Jobs to make the Big Apple console that does dounuts
around both.
May 22, 2005 7:01:08 PM

"Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I think it would be funny if nobody bought either of the two new consoles,
> it would let Ms & SoNy know we want to see amazing new tech leaps, not
just
> more fluff the pooch.
>
> I'm going to spend my money on games I really want on either of the old
> systems & my PC, when they come out with X-Box 3 & or PS4 then I'll take
> another look.
>
> Who knows maybe some other excentric billionare like Paris Hilton will
spend
> some dough on creating something new and really amazing, maybe she'll team
> up with Apple and Steve Jobs to make the Big Apple console that does
dounuts
> around both.

2 words,
"thats hot"
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
> I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
>
> For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the
> next
> gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> base. Examples:

> 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??

Let's not forget the huge failure rates of the machines either.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:41 PM

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
> > I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> > clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
> >
> > For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the
> > next
> > gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> > base. Examples:
>
> > 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
>
> Let's not forget the huge failure rates of the machines either.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

That's right. I know 2 folks with the PS2. Both had DVD drive failures.
One under warranty, and the other out of warranty.

-Sammy
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:42 PM

> "Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> > "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in
message
> > > I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It
was
> > > clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
> > >
> > > For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in
the
> > > next
> > > gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its
user
> > > base. Examples:
> >
> > > 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
> >
> > Let's not forget the huge failure rates of the machines either.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Smith,
> > Yeovil, UK.
> > http://www.windowsresource.net/
> >
> > *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
> >

> That's right. I know 2 folks with the PS2. Both had DVD drive failures.
> One under warranty, and the other out of warranty.

I know someone that purchased 2 launch day and they still work fine.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:43 PM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> > > "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in
> message
> was

> the
> user

> > > Let's not forget the huge failure rates of the machines either.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul Smith,
> > > Yeovil, UK.
> > > http://www.windowsresource.net/
> > >
> > > *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
> > >

> > That's right. I know 2 folks with the PS2. Both had DVD drive
failures.
> > One under warranty, and the other out of warranty.
>
> I know someone that purchased 2 launch day and they still work fine.

Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure rate
was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.

-Sammy
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:44 PM

> > > That's right. I know 2 folks with the PS2. Both had DVD drive
> failures.
> > > One under warranty, and the other out of warranty.
> >
> > I know someone that purchased 2 launch day and they still work fine.
> >

> Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure
rate
> was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.

Really?
Care to show us all a link stating this?
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in
message

> > > "Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> > message
It
> > was

> > the
> > user

> > > That's right. I know 2 folks with the PS2. Both had DVD drive
> failures.
> > > One under warranty, and the other out of warranty.
> >
> > I know someone that purchased 2 launch day and they still work fine.
> >

> Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure
rate
> was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.
>
> -Sammy

Or it could be that the failure rate of the PS2 was exactly the same as the
failure rate of the Xbox and GameCube, but because of the number of units
sold, it just seems like there were more defective PS2 consoles. (In other
words, if 1 of every 1,000 systems across the board are defective, you
would expect to hear about 7,500 defective PS2's but only 3,000 defective
Xboxes and 2,000 defective GameCubes).

That said, I'm almost certain that both the PS2 and Xbox had higher failure
rates than the GameCube, if for no other reason than they were designed to
read multiple media and GC wasn't, but I'm not sure how they compared with
each other. You read a lot about disk read errors on this newsgroup, but on
the Xbox newsgroup you read about Thompson HDD failures and dirty disk
messages. We just don't have any hard data to make a valid comparison, and
I'm sure that we never will.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:44:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
> I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
>
> For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the
> next
> gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> base. Examples:
>
> 1. Sony lies about its Home Theater Receiver Specs. Oh, they'll gladly
> sell you a 7 channel 100 W per channel receiver, but it'll only put out
> about 25-30 Watts per channel with 5 channels driven simultaneously. The
> competition (that sells for the same, or less) will put out 65-75 Watts
> per
> channel
>
> 2. Their first batch of HDTV-Ready rear projection sets in 2000, 2001
> (4:3
> aspect ratio) had un-calibrated 16:9 images. Was closer to 16:8. Made
> objects appear fatter. Sony's response? Not a problem, and they refused
> fix anyone's sets. Owners had to tweak it themselves.
>
> 3. Own a LCD front projector and a pixel dies under warranty? No
> problem.
> Just live with it. Sony wont replace the LCD panel. In Sony's eyes, you
> wont notice that Red/Green/Blue dot unless you "look" for it. Yeah,
> right.
>
> 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
>
> - Sammy

Well to be honest, I would really like to see MS pull ahead as well. Maybe
not so much that they are destroyed, because i doubt that would happen
anyway, but enough to really force Sony to take a more detailed look at
things, and how they have screwed their customers over time and time again.
I'm still very bitter about the PS2 and how it ended up when it was
released. It didn't take the Xbox to do that either, because it hadn't been
released yet.. not for a long time. My dreamcast had better looking games
than the PS2 when it came out, and over all this time, it didn't get much
better. So yeah, i'm bitter considering the hype that took place. MS has
been very honest so far, even brutally honest(E3 for example) at times.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:46:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Xbox had DVD drive failures also. PS2 is the not the only one with this
problem. Two words: Thompson Drive
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:52:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

You say all of this but you seem to forget the legacy of Microsoft and
it's swiss cheese of an operating system and the anti-trust lawsuits.
This gives you cause to "trust" Microsoft?

Complete nonsense. Sony are inovators of this industry. Microsoft's
typical approach is to sit on their ass and let other innovate then
throw big money to the cause to get into the industry.

I support Sony because they are innovators and continue to be innovators
in this industry. I still laugh at the OEM Dell PC case that Microsoft
used for the X-box 360. Laughable.

Regards,
--
Matt Costanza
Austin, Tx USA

Sammy "The Bull" Gravano wrote:
> I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
>
> For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the next
> gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> base. Examples:
>
> 1. Sony lies about its Home Theater Receiver Specs. Oh, they'll gladly
> sell you a 7 channel 100 W per channel receiver, but it'll only put out
> about 25-30 Watts per channel with 5 channels driven simultaneously. The
> competition (that sells for the same, or less) will put out 65-75 Watts per
> channel
>
> 2. Their first batch of HDTV-Ready rear projection sets in 2000, 2001 (4:3
> aspect ratio) had un-calibrated 16:9 images. Was closer to 16:8. Made
> objects appear fatter. Sony's response? Not a problem, and they refused to
> fix anyone's sets. Owners had to tweak it themselves.
>
> 3. Own a LCD front projector and a pixel dies under warranty? No problem.
> Just live with it. Sony wont replace the LCD panel. In Sony's eyes, you
> wont notice that Red/Green/Blue dot unless you "look" for it. Yeah, right.
>
> 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
>
> - Sammy

May 22, 2005 8:10:55 PM

> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message

> > failures.
> > >
> > > I know someone that purchased 2 launch day and they still work fine.
> > >

> > Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure
> rate
> > was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.
>
> Really?
> Care to show us all a link stating this?

Nope. Do your own research.

-Sammy
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 8:12:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

X-Box 3 and PS4 are already in development now-- and no doubt with
one of the goals being that they, MS and Sony, want to achive
technically what they could not do with Xbox-2 (Xbox360) and PS3.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 8:19:44 PM

"Matt Costanza" <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You say all of this but you seem to forget the legacy of Microsoft and
> it's swiss cheese of an operating system and the anti-trust lawsuits.
> This gives you cause to "trust" Microsoft?

I am speaking of consoles... not OSs. So yes, I trust MS with consoles
because they did not let me down with the Xbox. When Sony makes an OS, we
can discuss it, but for now, stick to consoles.

> Complete nonsense. Sony are inovators of this industry. Microsoft's
> typical approach is to sit on their ass and let other innovate then
> throw big money to the cause to get into the industry.
>
> I support Sony because they are innovators and continue to be innovators
> in this industry. I still laugh at the OEM Dell PC case that Microsoft
> used for the X-box 360. Laughable.

Hmmmm, I have an analogy. The U.S is THE biggest innovator in the world.
Nearly every great invention of the 19th and 20th century came from
Americans. The Japanese are like MS. They sit back, wait for America (or
some other nation) to invent a product. The Japanese are very good at
refining the manufacturing process. That is why QA on Japanese cars is so
high.

Using your logic, you should embrace all things American, after all,
Americans are innovators.

> Regards,
> --
> Matt Costanza
> Austin, Tx USA
>

> Sammy "The Bull" Gravano wrote:
> > I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> > clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
> >
> > For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the
next
> > gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> > base. Examples:
> >
> > 1. Sony lies about its Home Theater Receiver Specs. Oh, they'll gladly
> > sell you a 7 channel 100 W per channel receiver, but it'll only put out
> > about 25-30 Watts per channel with 5 channels driven simultaneously.
The
> > competition (that sells for the same, or less) will put out 65-75 Watts
per
> > channel
> >
> > 2. Their first batch of HDTV-Ready rear projection sets in 2000, 2001
(4:3
> > aspect ratio) had un-calibrated 16:9 images. Was closer to 16:8. Made
> > objects appear fatter. Sony's response? Not a problem, and they
refused to
> > fix anyone's sets. Owners had to tweak it themselves.
> >
> > 3. Own a LCD front projector and a pixel dies under warranty? No
problem.
> > Just live with it. Sony wont replace the LCD panel. In Sony's eyes,
you
> > wont notice that Red/Green/Blue dot unless you "look" for it. Yeah,
right.

> > 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
> >
> > - Sammy

May 22, 2005 8:24:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message

> Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure
> rate
> was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.

Yeah I know a few people who have gone through 4 or 5.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 8:29:59 PM

Paul Smith wrote:

> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
>
> > Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure
> > rate
> > was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.
>
> Yeah I know a few people who have gone through 4 or 5.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

our xobx was having death rattles at the same time as the ps2 but I
ran out of interesting games to play on it before it gave up the
ghost. I am scared of buying Forza in case it's the final nail in its
coffin, as San Andreas killed my ps2

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

That's interesting. Maybe you would like to share some of these great US
innovations with us? Shouldn't be too hard, seeing as you apparently
have 200 year's worth to draw from - let's see...

The Railway? British. The Automobile? German. Manned flight? French. The
jet engine? Oops, british again. The Computer? English. The www? Swiss.
Penicillin? Scottish. Unmanned spacecraft? Russian. Manned spacecraft?
Russian. Err...

Maybe the contribution was cultural.... Movies? French. Television?
Scottish. NFL? English. Golf? Scottish (again).

Burgers? German.
Fries? Belgian.
4th July Fireworks? Chinese.
The concept of liberty and personal freedom? Thank you, France.

You are correct about the Japanese refining other people's manufacturing
processes and focusing on QA however - the post-war originator of which
was Dr. W Demming (american).

Welcome to the global community.

> *SNIP*
>
> Hmmmm, I have an analogy. The U.S is THE biggest innovator in the world.
> Nearly every great invention of the 19th and 20th century came from
> Americans. The Japanese are like MS. They sit back, wait for America (or
> some other nation) to invent a product. The Japanese are very good at
> refining the manufacturing process. That is why QA on Japanese cars is so
> high.
>
> Using your logic, you should embrace all things American, after all,
> Americans are innovators.
>

>>Regards,
>>--
>>Matt Costanza
>>Austin, Tx USA

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:12:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Sammy "The Bull" Gravano wrote:
> "Matt Costanza" <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>You say all of this but you seem to forget the legacy of Microsoft and
>>it's swiss cheese of an operating system and the anti-trust lawsuits.
>>This gives you cause to "trust" Microsoft?
>>

> I am speaking of consoles... not OSs. So yes, I trust MS with consoles
> because they did not let me down with the Xbox. When Sony makes an OS, we
> can discuss it, but for now, stick to consoles.

Heh. What do you think is running on the X-box? Canned cheese? Sony does
make an OS. It's actually a very nice one that has driven the PS1 and
was improved to run on the PS2. Cool multi-tasking embedded OS. Nice and
efficient. Unlike WinCE which was dumped to the X-box "console". Not
efficient.

>>Complete nonsense. Sony are inovators of this industry. Microsoft's
>>typical approach is to sit on their ass and let other innovate then
>>throw big money to the cause to get into the industry.
>>
>>I support Sony because they are innovators and continue to be innovators
>>in this industry. I still laugh at the OEM Dell PC case that Microsoft
>>used for the X-box 360. Laughable.
>>

> Hmmmm, I have an analogy. The U.S is THE biggest innovator in the world.
> Nearly every great invention of the 19th and 20th century came from
> Americans. The Japanese are like MS. They sit back, wait for America (or
> some other nation) to invent a product. The Japanese are very good at
> refining the manufacturing process. That is why QA on Japanese cars is so
> high.

As poorly constructed as your "analogy is, it has nothing to do with
this discussion. You forgot to include in your "analogy" how Microsoft
were innovators in the console industry as compared to Sony and
Nintendo. You failed. Not surprising.

--
Matt Costanza
Austin, Tx USA

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:U81ke.28760$796.8008@attbi_s21...

> "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> I think it would be funny if nobody bought either of the two new
>> consoles,
>> it would let Ms & SoNy know we want to see amazing new tech leaps, not
> just
>> more fluff the pooch.
>>
>> I'm going to spend my money on games I really want on either of the old
>> systems & my PC, when they come out with X-Box 3 & or PS4 then I'll take
>> another look.
>>
>> Who knows maybe some other excentric billionare like Paris Hilton will
> spend
>> some dough on creating something new and really amazing, maybe she'll
>> team
>> up with Apple and Steve Jobs to make the Big Apple console that does
> dounuts
>> around both.
>>

> 2 words,
> "thats hot"

lol
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 6:46:56 AM

> Heh. What do you think is running on the X-box? Canned cheese? Sony does
> make an OS. It's actually a very nice one that has driven the PS1 and was
> improved to run on the PS2. Cool multi-tasking embedded OS. Nice and
> efficient. Unlike WinCE which was dumped to the X-box "console". Not
> efficient.

The Xbox doesn't use Windows CE. Try again.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:51:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I don't care who beats whom. In fact, I hope dearly that all three of
the next gen consoles will be so awesome that there will be tremendous
competition between all three of them. If one of the three is clearly
better, it'll keep prices for that one console up, while if all of them
are relatively equal and it comes down to personal taste, competitive
pricing will give consumers the chance to choose. In the end, all of us
want the most for our money, unless you belong to the group that will
end up buying all three consoles.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:04:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Sammy "The Bull" Gravano wrote:
> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the
failure rate
> was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.
>
> -Sammy

Alright.. here's where I call your bluff. Because now instead of
stating it as an opinion, you're stating it as FACT. I'd challenge you
to provide a link where it shows the per console failure rate is
higher, and don't give me this bs "I know 2 people that both their
machines are busted", or "I see people talk about busted PS2s in
message boards all the time". I mean REAL proof. Industry defect rate
#s.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:23:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Sounds like a Xbox/Microsoft fan boy.

Claim 1: I in fact own a Sony receiver (have owned 4 now over the years) and
it puts out 100 watts to each channel with all of them playing.

Claim 2: Ever hear of overscan? There is yet a TV to be perfect out of the
box by anyone at any price range, read any A/V magazine to see that all
there reviewed TV's had to be calibrated.

Claim 3: No manufacture replaces an LCD because of bad pixels?
Claim 4: Let's see 80 million PS2 sold and only 20 million Xboxes and 20
Million Gamecubes. You do the math.
--
Jeremy Lawson

"Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
> I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
>
> For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the
next
> gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> base. Examples:
>
> 1. Sony lies about its Home Theater Receiver Specs. Oh, they'll gladly
> sell you a 7 channel 100 W per channel receiver, but it'll only put out
> about 25-30 Watts per channel with 5 channels driven simultaneously. The
> competition (that sells for the same, or less) will put out 65-75 Watts
per
> channel
>
> 2. Their first batch of HDTV-Ready rear projection sets in 2000, 2001
(4:3
> aspect ratio) had un-calibrated 16:9 images. Was closer to 16:8. Made
> objects appear fatter. Sony's response? Not a problem, and they refused
> fix anyone's sets. Owners had to tweak it themselves.
>
> 3. Own a LCD front projector and a pixel dies under warranty? No
problem.
> Just live with it. Sony wont replace the LCD panel. In Sony's eyes, you
> wont notice that Red/Green/Blue dot unless you "look" for it. Yeah,
right.

> 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
>
> - Sammy

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:23:38 AM

"Game Junky" <gamejunky@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like a Xbox/Microsoft fan boy.
>
> Claim 1: I in fact own a Sony receiver (have owned 4 now over the years)
and
> it puts out 100 watts to each channel with all of them playing.

What model do you own? No way does your Sony put out 500 watts (100 Watts x
5 channels) simultaneously. The power supply, taking into consideration its
efficiency, would have to be higher than 500 watts. And I doubt it is.

> Claim 2: Ever hear of overscan? There is yet a TV to be perfect out of
the
> box by anyone at any price range, read any A/V magazine to see that all
> there reviewed TV's had to be calibrated.

Oh, I am all too familiar with overscan. But the problem with Sony's HiScan
(and XBR) series could not be fixed with overscan (so said the Sony
engineers). Sony had something we all called the "vertical squeeze" for
displaying 1080i signals that could not be corrected with overscan because
Sony was displaying all 1080i lines in a 16:9 picture within a 4:3 TV.

> Claim 3: No manufacture replaces an LCD because of bad pixels?
> Claim 4: Let's see 80 million PS2 sold and only 20 million Xboxes and 20
> Million Gamecubes. You do the math.

I said the "rate." Meaning a certain number of failures per 1000 units sold
(for example). Take the total number of consoles, and divide that the
number of defects, and you have a rate (or invert it if you like). So yes,
Sony had more failures overall because they had sold more consoles. But for
every 1000 units sold, PS2 had more failures that Xbox.

I did the math!

> --
> Jeremy Lawson
>
> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
> > I've owned the PS2, but sold it shortly after getting the Xbox. It was
> > clear to me then that Sony's hype of the PS2 was just that: hype.
> >
> > For no other reason, I'd like to see Sony get its ass beat by MS in the
> next
> > gen console war. Why? Sony can't be trusted to be honest with its user
> > base. Examples:
> >
> > 1. Sony lies about its Home Theater Receiver Specs. Oh, they'll gladly
> > sell you a 7 channel 100 W per channel receiver, but it'll only put out
> > about 25-30 Watts per channel with 5 channels driven simultaneously.
The
> > competition (that sells for the same, or less) will put out 65-75 Watts
> per
> > channel
> >
> > 2. Their first batch of HDTV-Ready rear projection sets in 2000, 2001
> (4:3
> > aspect ratio) had un-calibrated 16:9 images. Was closer to 16:8. Made
> > objects appear fatter. Sony's response? Not a problem, and they
refused
> > fix anyone's sets. Owners had to tweak it themselves.
> >
> > 3. Own a LCD front projector and a pixel dies under warranty? No
> problem.
> > Just live with it. Sony wont replace the LCD panel. In Sony's eyes,
you
> > wont notice that Red/Green/Blue dot unless you "look" for it. Yeah,
> right.
> >
> > 4. PS2 Specs. Need I say more??
> >
> > - Sammy

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:23:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Game Junky" <gamejunky@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like a Xbox/Microsoft fan boy.
>
> Claim 1: I in fact own a Sony receiver (have owned 4 now over the years)
and
> it puts out 100 watts to each channel with all of them playing.

He is just spreading lies.
Ignore him.

> Claim 2: Ever hear of overscan? There is yet a TV to be perfect out of
the
> box by anyone at any price range, read any A/V magazine to see that all
> there reviewed TV's had to be calibrated.

Overscan?
He probably doesn't know how to install batteries in the remote.

> Claim 3: No manufacture replaces an LCD because of bad pixels?

oh sure they do, BenQ does *rolls-eyes*
Most projector companies wont even look at a projector for repairs unless
you have at least 3 or 4 bad pixels.
Shhhhhh.... don't try to tell shithead this.

> Claim 4: Let's see 80 million PS2 sold and only 20 million Xboxes and 20
> Million Gamecubes. You do the math.

He doesn't even know how to read specs or warranty info, now you want him to
do math? ;-)
May 25, 2005 8:34:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Any system or electronic device can fail. That is the nature of technology.
I haven't really heard anything to believe any one of the three consoles
fails more than the others. All I know is I have an Xbox and it has been
running strong for almost 2 years.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in message
>>
>> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Sammy "The Bull" Gravano" <Sammy@witnessprotection.gov> wrote in
> message

>> > message
> It
>> > was

> in
>> > the
> its
>> > user

>> failures.
>> >
>> > I know someone that purchased 2 launch day and they still work fine.
>> >

>> Case in point. Many work great without any problems. But the failure
> rate
>> was rather high compared to Xbox and GC.
>>
>> -Sammy
>
> Or it could be that the failure rate of the PS2 was exactly the same as
> the
> failure rate of the Xbox and GameCube, but because of the number of units
> sold, it just seems like there were more defective PS2 consoles. (In other
> words, if 1 of every 1,000 systems across the board are defective, you
> would expect to hear about 7,500 defective PS2's but only 3,000 defective
> Xboxes and 2,000 defective GameCubes).
>
> That said, I'm almost certain that both the PS2 and Xbox had higher
> failure
> rates than the GameCube, if for no other reason than they were designed to
> read multiple media and GC wasn't, but I'm not sure how they compared with
> each other. You read a lot about disk read errors on this newsgroup, but
> on
> the Xbox newsgroup you read about Thompson HDD failures and dirty disk
> messages. We just don't have any hard data to make a valid comparison,
> and
> I'm sure that we never will.

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:49:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
[excuses snipped]
> You see my point, I'm sure.

I saw no point, just excuses for Nintendo's ways.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:51:02 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>> As far as MS vs. Sony? No, I don't want either to beat either one.
>> They're
>> both about the same in my book. They're both looking for ways to create
>> more lucrative business model out of the next generation. I, for one,
>> don't
>> want to have micropayments, etc, in my gaming. I don't want advertising
>> in
>> it. I don't want any of that. I want games. This is the one generation
>> where I really want Nintendo to win, but sadly, they won't.
>>
>> At least they know what gaming is and are staying true to it rather than
>> just bilking everyone.
>
> You're kidding right?

No, I'm not.

> Nintendo is just as guilty as the others when it
> comes to bilking.

No, that is a falsehood.

> NES, SNES and even N64 games re-released on handhelds for $30 a pop.

Were you required to buy them? No. That's not the same as micro payments,
etc. Milking, perhaps, bilking, not at all. No one had to buy the games to
enjoy them if they already had them.

> Six Mario Party games released in six years.

Again, were you required to buy them? No. If you like Mario Party, you
could buy them and Nintendo made them. There's obviously a demand for them.
So, again, milking, perhaps, bilking, not at all.

> The recent announcement of Nintendo's back catalog to be available for
> download on the Revolution.

Are you required to buy them? No. Milking/Bilking.

> That's just a few examples.

Completely off topic examples, though. Nintendo has yet to announce that
they are going to a system where you must pay to play games you've already
bought. That you'll have to pay for content just to have a level playing
field.

Has Nintendo announced a "pay for power up" plan for any game? Power ups
that used to be free?

> I also did a search on the word "Mario" at gamerankings and 61 games
> popped up. Sixty-one Mario games.
>
> Nintendo is no saint when it comes to bilking.

Bilking isn't milking, my friend. 61 Mario games shows that there is an
interest in a powerful franchise. Are they milking Mario's franchise? Hell
yes. If Sony or Microsoft were game developers first, they might be able to
come up with a franchise that is able to maintain any interest, but sadly,
they can't. They don't understand how to do it. If they could, they would.
Just like EA.

So, no, Nintendo isn't guilty of the bilking that MS and Sony are planning
for this generation and the costly direction they want to take gaming, where
you pay as you play and pay just to have a worthwhile experience. That's
bilking. I hope they both fail at it.

You see my point, I'm sure.
May 26, 2005 12:02:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

'never had any problems with my Thomson Drive. bought my xbox on launch
date.
May 26, 2005 12:09:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Here you go folks :)  Scooped this out of my fav mag :)

Stuck Pixel Policies

You can make many adjustments to today's LCDs to optimize your viewing
experience, but once a pixel becomes frozen on a particular color (or
dead altogether), there's nothing you can do to fix it. Depending on
their location on your screen, stuck pixels can range from a minor
inconvenience to a major distraction. Most major manufacturers have
policies that can provide you with a replacement.

Acer: No more than four defective pixels per million on a given display

Apple: Conforms to ISO 13406 standard for pixel anomalies

BenQ: Five defective pixels or one defective pixel in the center of a
3x3 grid

Dell: Six fixed pixels or "several fixed pixels in a small area of the
screen"

HP: Three bright subpixel defects, five dark subpixel defects, five
total subpixel defects, or 0 full-pixel defects

LG: Two defective pixels in any quadrant of a 2x2 grid

NEC/Mitsubishi: Varies according to display size

Samsung: 0 defective pixels

Sony: Conforms to ISO 13406 standard for pixel anomalies
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:13:45 PM

theOne wrote:
> 'never had any problems with my Thomson Drive. bought my xbox on launch
> date.

Knock on wood, cross your fingers, and never speak of it again.

Seriously.

;)
May 26, 2005 12:33:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

seriously man, perhaps cuz I don't use it near as much as anyone else.
I run everything from the (hard) drive, and on the off shoot chance I
want to run an incompatible CDR (next to never ; dvd+-rs dvd-rws,cdrws,
and dvd+r DL work great) I just stream from my PC's optical drive or
hard drive dependent on where my media is stored.

I'm thinking about buying a back up xbox just in case now though
because I seriously can't do without this beautiful puppy. As of today,
I've got gapless audio playback; shweeeet!
May 26, 2005 12:34:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I love your wit Fred; You're my hero :)
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:39:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I congratulate you man, that's great, but the truth is that the
Thompson is by far the worst of any XBox drives. There are pages and
pages on the web dedicated on how to possibly repair it.

Mine kicked the bucket after about 15 months. I think I got about a
total of 300 hours out of it. That's only about 40 mins a day. I
decided to replace it with a Phillips one which looks sturdier (the
laser/lense construction looks much healthier) and has faster load
times.

theOne wrote:
> seriously man, perhaps cuz I don't use it near as much as anyone else.
> I run everything from the (hard) drive, and on the off shoot chance I
> want to run an incompatible CDR (next to never ; dvd+-rs dvd-rws,cdrws,
> and dvd+r DL work great) I just stream from my PC's optical drive or
> hard drive dependent on where my media is stored.
>
> I'm thinking about buying a back up xbox just in case now though
> because I seriously can't do without this beautiful puppy. As of today,
> I've got gapless audio playback; shweeeet!
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:26:02 PM

> Fred Liken wrote:
> [excuses snipped]
>> You see my point, I'm sure.
>
> I saw no point, just excuses for Nintendo's ways.

Ah, you are mad at Nintendo for their "ways" but not wanting to admit that's
not on topic to what I was talking about, so you snip it all and pretend I
made no point. Tsk tsk... I've come to expect more from you, at least to
admit when you were wrong.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:29:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Matt Costanza" <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You say all of this but you seem to forget the legacy of Microsoft and
> it's swiss cheese of an operating system and the anti-trust lawsuits. This
> gives you cause to "trust" Microsoft?
>
> Complete nonsense. Sony are inovators of this industry.

LOL! Yes, that is complete nonsense. Inovators? Of WHAT?

> Microsoft's typical approach is to sit on their ass and let other innovate
> then throw big money to the cause to get into the industry.

Um... playstation 1...
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:07:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

According to the USPTO, Sony ranks Number 10 in 2004 and 2003 according
to patents issued in the United States. While this is certainly not the
best measure of innovation, it may be the most objective one,
considering that innovation will be in the eye of the beholder. Patents
are only issued if a product or process is new or is considerably
improved.

The Top 10 list of companies receiving patents by the USPTO from 1 to
10 goes like this: IBM, Matsushita, Canon, HP, Micron, Samsung, Intel,
Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony.

Fred Liken wrote:

> LOL! Yes, that is complete nonsense. Inovators? Of WHAT?
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:52:27 AM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Fred Liken wrote:
> > [excuses snipped]
> >> You see my point, I'm sure.
> >
> > I saw no point, just excuses for Nintendo's ways.
>
> Ah, you are mad at Nintendo for their "ways" but not wanting to admit that's
> not on topic to what I was talking about, so you snip it all and pretend I
> made no point.

But you made no point. You tried to claim that Nintendo is different
since their bilking methods (how they attempt to cheat the consumer)
are different because no one is required to buy them but you fail to
realize you're not required to purchase anything extra from Sony or MS
either.

It's very simple...everything Sony and MS will offer this generation
will not be required to be purchased, just like with Nintendo. It's
all optional.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:32:01 PM

Leon Dexter wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > It's very simple...everything Sony and MS will offer this generation
> > will not be required to be purchased, just like with Nintendo. It's
> > all optional.
>
> No, there are a lot of things that you're stuck paying for if you buy Sony
> or Microsoft's machines. Aside from paying for all the networking extras
> and DVD licensing fees, it looks like you'll be paying higher game prices as
> well.
>
> Nintendo may want to sell you Super Mario Bros 3 again, and they may want to
> sell you a DVD player, and they may want to make you pay to download stuff,
> but they're not _making_ you pay for all of that in order to get your hands
> on their new machine.

Nor are Sony and MS.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:05:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>> > Fred Liken wrote:
>> > [excuses snipped]
>> >
>> > I saw no point, just excuses for Nintendo's ways.

>> Ah, you are mad at Nintendo for their "ways" but not wanting to admit
>> that's
>> not on topic to what I was talking about, so you snip it all and pretend
>> made no point.

> But you made no point.

You're pretending to save face.

> You tried to claim that Nintendo is different
> since their bilking methods (how they attempt to cheat the consumer)

What? Cheat the consumer? lol. Now you're being theatrical. Selling
a game that has been released on an old platform that no one owns anymore is
hardly swindling anyone. People obviously want these things and know what
they are buying. Nintendo isn't packaging them as new, but rereleases. I
guess you think it's bilking people to put Seven Samurai on DVD, huh?
That's just dumb. I guess it's bilking people to have more than one season
of a TV show, huh? That's just dumb.

> are different because no one is required to buy them but you fail to
> realize you're not required to purchase anything extra from Sony or MS
> either.

Um, actually you will be to get the intended experience. It's not a
secret. It's being hyped as the next greatest thing.

> It's very simple...everything Sony and MS will offer this generation
> will not be required to be purchased, just like with Nintendo. It's
> all optional.

Actually, you will be required to make micro payments to experience the
games as they are made to be played. That's the whole plan. You're trying
to save face, here, because you honestly do understand that you were wrong.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:09:06 PM

"cjw" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Complete nonsense. Sony are inovators of this industry.
>
> According to the USPTO, Sony ranks Number 10 in 2004 and 2003 according
> to patents issued in the United States.

Patents on what? Stereos? Their new DVD Format? What? You'll need to
look at them in the scope of this industry, or you're just being an ignorant
twat.

> While this is certainly not the
> best measure of innovation, it may be the most objective one,

The hell it is.

> considering that innovation will be in the eye of the beholder. Patents
> are only issued if a product or process is new or is considerably
> improved.
>
> The Top 10 list of companies receiving patents by the USPTO from 1 to
> 10 goes like this: IBM, Matsushita, Canon, HP, Micron, Samsung, Intel,
> Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony.

So IBM is the Number one innovator of this industry... Gotcha. You never
cease to amaze me with your stupidity.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:45:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> It's very simple...everything Sony and MS will offer this generation
> will not be required to be purchased, just like with Nintendo. It's
> all optional.

No, there are a lot of things that you're stuck paying for if you buy Sony
or Microsoft's machines. Aside from paying for all the networking extras
and DVD licensing fees, it looks like you'll be paying higher game prices as
well.

Nintendo may want to sell you Super Mario Bros 3 again, and they may want to
sell you a DVD player, and they may want to make you pay to download stuff,
but they're not _making_ you pay for all of that in order to get your hands
on their new machine.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:11:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> > Nintendo may want to sell you Super Mario Bros 3 again, and they may
want to
> > sell you a DVD player, and they may want to make you pay to download
stuff,
> > but they're not _making_ you pay for all of that in order to get your
hands
> > on their new machine.
>
> Nor are Sony and MS.

Sony and Microsoft thank you for your ignorance. Why you don't take that
attitude towards Nintendo and just fork over your bank account number to
them, too? Oh, wait, they're the only one that hasn't asked for it.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:52:25 AM

Leon Dexter wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>
> > > Nintendo may want to sell you Super Mario Bros 3 again, and they may
> want to
> > > sell you a DVD player, and they may want to make you pay to download
> stuff,
> > > but they're not _making_ you pay for all of that in order to get your
> hands
> > > on their new machine.
> >
> > Nor are Sony and MS.
>

> Sony and Microsoft thank you for your ignorance. Why you don't take that
> attitude towards Nintendo and just fork over your bank account number to
> them, too? Oh, wait, they're the only one that hasn't asked for it.

What exactly are they forcing you to purchase?
May 28, 2005 1:26:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

faster load times huh? probably barely anything under a pata with the
same transfer speed mode. you're probably talking about undiscernable
milliseconds. Try loading from the hard drive. That's where you see a
significant difference.
May 28, 2005 1:59:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

>> Six Mario Party games released in six years.

6 Maddens in 6 years, don't pretend like it is a huge surprise.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:05:02 PM

"theOne" <cmtipton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I love your wit Fred; You're my hero :)

Way to aim high, One.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:08:29 PM

> seriously man, perhaps cuz I don't use it near as much as anyone else.
> I run everything from the (hard) drive, and on the off shoot chance I
> want to run an incompatible CDR (next to never ; dvd+-rs dvd-rws,cdrws,
> and dvd+r DL work great) I just stream from my PC's optical drive or
> hard drive dependent on where my media is stored.
>
> I'm thinking about buying a back up xbox just in case now though
> because I seriously can't do without this beautiful puppy. As of today,
> I've got gapless audio playback; shweeeet!

I was tempted to mod mine as well but I couldn't morally bring myself to do
it because I knew the temptation of stealing games would be too great. Then
again, had I, I know it wouldn't have died as quickly as it did. It does
explain how yours has lasted so well though.
!