What Should I Upgrade?

I have a Homebuilt PC that is several years old.

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
8600GTS, 256MB, 128-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ ~3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 800
Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM, 640GB
Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm looking to bump up performance, specifically in gaming. I'm wondering If I just upgrade the video card if it will get me what I'm looking for. I mostly play SWTOR.

I was thinking about upgrading to a Radeon HD 6770. I'm sure my performance would be bottlenecked by the rest of my system, but would it even be worth getting that card?

Is there something else I could get that would be relatively inexpensive that would help boost performance in game?
6 answers Last reply
More about what upgrade
  1. For gaming at least a quad core CPU is recommended. If I were you I would build a new system ground up since your hardware is all dated. Also look at the benchmarks for video cards at different resolutions.
  2. I will probably end up building a complete system in the future. If, however, I wanted to upgrade the video card now and try to hold out a little longer, would I see a decent performance increase?

Also, in case it matters, I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and I'm actually overclocked to 3.2GHz on my processor.

Thanks for the reply!
  3. If you upgrade your video card, your CPU would be the bottleneck but your FPS should still increase a bit. Do NOT get the 6770 as it is essentially the same as 5770 with minor bios tweaks. Get HD 6790 or an Nvidia card.
  4. It's a Rosewill 550W power supply.
  5. Thanks for the help. This is the exact power supply I have.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017
  6. Best answer selected by pmd5700.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Performance Intel Systems