Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte x79 UD3 and i7 3820 not booting

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2012 10:21:42 AM

I'm trying to get my i7 3820 and Gigabyte x79 UD3 to boot up. My video card fans run, my cpu fan runs, my hard drive is going although theres no OS on it. But I cannot get anything to display on my screen. The computer doesn't shut off or restart or anything. Everything continues to run but the BIOS will not show up. All my connections are fine.

I'm hoping someones encountered the issue just so I don't have to take it all apart but if not.... can ya help me out or refer me to a thread that has some troubleshooting tips.

Appreciate it

Gigabyte x79 UD3
i7 3820
Sapphire Radeon 7870
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Corsair AX-750

More about : gigabyte x79 ud3 3820 booting

Best solution

April 3, 2012 10:38:59 AM

Try another slot for the video card, it possibly could be bad ram.
April 3, 2012 11:34:17 AM

Would bad RAM not allow me to see the BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 12:57:51 PM

As I have been researching the ud3 myself I noticed that the 3820 is not compatible with the oldest bios on their list on the giga site version f7. I stumbled on your thread looking for a work around for that myself. Chances are it's f7 right out of the box.

I know asus boards have a workaround where you can flash the bios without a complete system to prep for previously unsupported cpus. Giga should have something similar. I'm going to keep looking. Hang in there and lemme know if you resolve it before hand.
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:18:42 PM

Hey I actually just removed 8 gigs of ram and I was able to get in to the bios. Had to use slots 1 and 2. I'm not sure if I've got dead ram or I just need to tweak the memory profile in the bios. The bios Is such a pain in the ass to get into when you've got an empty drive plugged in, because you've got to time your F1 push perfectly or it goes to a drive prompt. Anyway, I got real impatient and am currently going ahead with a Win 7 install. So I will update if I'm having any issues with the other dimm slots.

Also yeah I noticed that the ud3 didn't support the 3820 until a later bios revision but during the 10 seconds I was In my bios it seemed to recognize it without issues. I'll be updating all the drivers and bios shortly. Thanks for the input gents!
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:23:49 PM

alexdh01 said:
Hey I actually just removed 8 gigs of ram and I was able to get in to the bios. Had to use slots 1 and 2. I'm not sure if I've got dead ram or I just need to tweak the memory profile in the bios. The bios Is such a pain in the ass to get into when you've got an empty drive plugged in, because you've got to time your F1 push perfectly or it goes to a drive prompt. Anyway, I got real impatient and am currently going ahead with a Win 7 install. So I will update if I'm having any issues with the other dimm slots.

Also yeah I noticed that the ud3 didn't support the 3820 until a later bios revision but during the 10 seconds I was In my bios it seemed to recognize it without issues. I'll be updating all the drivers and bios shortly. Thanks for the input gents!

Awesome! I mean it sucks if you have bad dimms but at least ya got the thing to post which is a victory in it's self. I have read many times that it posts very quickly. If ya could let me know what you think when it's said and done. I'm really considering a 3820 and this board.
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:25:41 PM

Btw, I've read since f9 the overclocking is supposed to be quite stable and reliable so the latest f10 should be decent. If you are an overclocker.
m
l
April 3, 2012 2:55:47 PM

Use xmp profiles!!!
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:02:22 PM

Alright so no problem with the 3820 on the F3 bios. Recognizes it no problem. It's probably just not optimized for the bios until F7 revision. F3 is a pretty clunky but I haven't updated yet. Just installed all the chipset drivers and my GPU drivers. I've got 12 gigs of ram going. Turns out one of my DIMM's is non functioning. Was really hoping I wouldn't have to return anything but oh well, what can ya do right. And hell yes I will be overclocking to at least 4Ghz!
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:13:43 AM

Yeah F3 is the stock version apparently. Still haven't updated it anyway
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:25:33 AM

is there a led number display on the motherboard. if so what is the readout displaying?...
also make sure you have the ram in the correct slots... on the old i7 you had to use slots 1 and 3 instead of 0 and 2.
m
l
April 5, 2012 9:45:25 AM

Think he's got it worked out, sounds like a bad dimm. It happens.

This looks like a real solid board though. I've been reading these boards boot up with initial bios on any stepping easily. That's fan-friggin-tastic. They just run more stable and oc better with the proper respective bios. Way to go giga and gratz on your new board man!
m
l
April 5, 2012 5:46:20 PM

Best answer selected by alexdh01.
m
l
April 5, 2012 6:02:19 PM

Yeah thanks man! I've got my processor OC'd to 4.3Ghz right now. 35°C with no load. That's as big as the board will let you go without messing with the voltages. I'll mess with them eventually though. I'm hitting about 20% load - 56°C during Dirt 3 benchmark and it's getting real warm running Prime95... 100% load - 77°C . Everything is stable, haven't had any issues. It's a bit warm but I've only got a Corsair H60 with barely enough thermal paste. I've also got my 7870 OC'd and its doing great. GPU is at 1250mhz and memory is at 1450mhz. Temps won't go over 50°C. Anyway, I picked amuffins answer as 'best answer' because he hit the nail on the head first try, Lol.

Thanks gent's.
m
l
May 9, 2012 5:14:25 AM

lemlo said:
As I have been researching the ud3 myself I noticed that the 3820 is not compatible with the oldest bios on their list on the giga site version f7. I stumbled on your thread looking for a work around for that myself. Chances are it's f7 right out of the box.

I know asus boards have a workaround where you can flash the bios without a complete system to prep for previously unsupported cpus. Giga should have something similar. I'm going to keep looking. Hang in there and lemme know if you resolve it before hand.

I am also having this problem

Did you manage to update your BIOS?

Cheers
m
l
August 15, 2013 4:03:35 PM

Hi I have mobo Gigabyte x79 UD3 and cpu i7 3820. 32G ram. I cannot enter to bios. What should I do ???
m
l
August 15, 2013 4:06:32 PM

Put one stick of RAM at a time and see if it will boot.
m
l
!