Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC restarts when i switch on my Air Conditioner

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2012 11:17:46 AM

Hey,

Please help me, whenever i switch on my AC my PC restarts immediately, occasionally it doesn't.
Also my pc restarts every time power fluctuates(stabilizer boosts up power during fluctuation) while the AC is running. My AC is on a separate line and i have installed a 8 kv stabilizer for it.

What is the solution for this?

I have a vguard ups, it can manage upto 15v drop in the power supply. Will a mainline stabilizer be a solution?

Or a good power supply? I have a basic one. If this is the solution suggest a good psu for my pc.

Inter core 2 quad processor
Intel motherboard
4 gb ram
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 (I play a lot of games)

a c 158 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 12:21:41 PM

If you're getting those kind of fluctuations in your residential voltage, then I would contact the power supply company to report your issues and have them send someone out to see if their config is part of the issue. You can ask the technician for a recommendation while onsite if it's not an issue with the power company. A line stabilizer for your AC might help to prevent surges in your house. You definitely should take action to prevent the surges...you are brutalizing everything plugged in when you have wild voltage fluctuations. A quality PSU is always recommended and would likely better handle your power surges, but it sounds like your current PSU is already shutting down to protect itself and the PC.
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 1:00:27 PM

if you have a friend with an amp meter or dvm check the amp that are drawn at start up to the ac power plate. if the unit is low of freon or there and issue with the motor it may be drawing more current then it needs to at start up. on larger hvac unit tech put in what called a kick start kit..just a very large cap to help with the extra load draw an old electric motor will sometime pull at start up. if the unit is a few years old look to see if your local power or any of the portal ac vendor have a rebate on replacing older unit with more green units.
Related resources
April 3, 2012 1:09:34 PM

Rugger said:
If you're getting those kind of fluctuations in your residential voltage, then I would contact the power supply company to report your issues and have them send someone out to see if their config is part of the issue. You can ask the technician for a recommendation while onsite if it's not an issue with the power company. A line stabilizer for your AC might help to prevent surges in your house. You definitely should take action to prevent the surges...you are brutalizing everything plugged in when you have wild voltage fluctuations. A quality PSU is always recommended and would likely better handle your power surges, but it sounds like your current PSU is already shutting down to protect itself and the PC.

My Power supply company is under government and the prob is not with them. Power fluctuations are happening in my locality for many years, mostly after 6 pm fluctuations are very bad since many people in my locality consume more power during this time.

I already have stabilizer for my ac, it can manage between 100v to 290v (required input volts is 220v). The problem is whenever the stabilizer boosts power during fluctuation my pc restarts. So i thought a mainline stabilizer should solve this problem or a good psu.

My current psu is just 300 INR (6$), so i guess this could also be the problem. And this restart problem occurs more while play games, it doesn't happen much while just browse.

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 1:48:36 PM

Have you tried measuring the voltage surge that happens when the AC starts? It would be interesting to see how large the spikes are.

i would upgrade that PSu whether or not you get a mainline stabilizer. PSU is the most important part of your PC. Gaming obviously puts more stress on your PC than browsing; if this primarily happens while gaming, then it indicates that your PSU is being strained and can't handle the additional power surge stress is causing the shutdowns. The good thing is that your PC is shutting down instead of hurting your components. I would highly recommend getting a good quality PSU to replace your current one. What are your system specs? What PSUs are available in your area? Budget?

Replacing the PSU is not guaranteed to solve your issue, but is at least a step in the right direction. If you still get shutdowns after replacing the PSU, then you should consider installing a mainline stabilizer.
April 3, 2012 1:59:19 PM

Rugger said:
Have you tried measuring the voltage surge that happens when the AC starts? It would be interesting to see how large the spikes are.

i would upgrade that PSu whether or not you get a mainline stabilizer. PSU is the most important part of your PC. Gaming obviously puts more stress on your PC than browsing; if this primarily happens while gaming, then it indicates that your PSU is being strained and can't handle the additional power surge stress is causing the shutdowns. The good thing is that your PC is shutting down instead of hurting your components. I would highly recommend getting a good quality PSU to replace your current one. What are your system specs? What PSUs are available in your area? Budget?

Replacing the PSU is not guaranteed to solve your issue, but is at least a step in the right direction. If you still get shutdowns after replacing the PSU, then you should consider installing a mainline stabilizer.

I will try to measure the surge when my AC starts.

I have decided to upgrade my psu anyways, infact i am going to buy a mainline stabilizer and a new good psu but i just wanted to know which to buy first as i cannot afford both at the same time. So whichever is causing the main problem i will buy it first.

Also i am planning to buy a cooler bcoz my pc also heats upto 80 C while playing games like batman: arkham city, modern warefare 2, 3, etc. But this is my 3rd choice as i assume this does not cause the restart problem.

My specs are Intel core 2 quad @ 2.83Ghz, 4 gb ram(2 slots), 250gb hdd, Geforce GTS 450 gpu

Corsair and cooler master are majorly available here and i also read that they are good. Others are iball, zebronic, intex, etc. I can afford between $100 - $150
April 3, 2012 2:47:37 PM

im not an electrician, just to be clear on that. This sounds like there’s too much amperage being drawn by the ac and the pc. Most likely they’re sharing the same circuit in the household along with other appliances you may have. edit: sorry just re-read you saying they’re on a separate line, that’s weird.

A typical Household will have a few power circuits, look into changing where your appliances get power from.

I am concerned for you because something like this should have tripped a circuit breaker. I do not want to worry you but if it can be prevented, try getting an electrician and making sure your circuit breakers are working properly. Do not want it resulting in a house fire because a wire got too hot.
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 2:54:14 PM

kuttykraze said:
I will try to measure the surge when my AC starts.

I have decided to upgrade my psu anyways, infact i am going to buy a mainline stabilizer and a new good psu but i just wanted to know which to buy first as i cannot afford both at the same time. So whichever is causing the main problem i will buy it first.

Also i am planning to buy a cooler bcoz my pc also heats upto 80 C while playing games like batman: arkham city, modern warefare 2, 3, etc. But this is my 3rd choice as i assume this does not cause the restart problem.

My specs are Intel core 2 quad @ 2.83Ghz, 4 gb ram(2 slots), 250gb hdd, Geforce GTS 450 gpu

Corsair and cooler master are majorly available here and i also read that they are good. Others are iball, zebronic, intex, etc. I can afford between $100 - $150

Is that 80C the CPU or GPU? CPU high temp shutdown doesn't occur until 100C, but 80C is a bit high with no overclock. 80C for the GPU during intense gaming is normal. Coolermaster CPU cooler has the best performance/INR in their Hyper 212 EVO. I would start with Ryan's UPS suggestion or the mainline stabilizer if it will prevent excessive surges from reaching the UPS.
April 13, 2012 6:48:47 AM

Best answer selected by kuttykraze.
!