Solved

Time to upgrade

I have an AMD phenom ii 555 BE that cannot be unlocked to a four core. I tried but its all instant crash. My Mobo is an asrock 870 extreme3 first revision.

My question is:
Should I buy a quad or six core phenom ii for now and later build a lga 2011(my goal) setup

Or

Should I just save the $140 towards the LGA 2011 build which is my ultimate goal.

Would the performance of a phenom 4 or 6 core make a difference on my gaming?

FYI this is a gaming rig to be played at high resolutions at ultra settings
Other specs
750 watt sli capable power supply
Gtx 680
8gb at 1333
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about time upgrade
  1. Best answer
    tjhookr said:
    I have an AMD phenom ii 555 BE that cannot be unlocked to a four core. I tried but its all instant crash. My Mobo is an asrock 870 extreme3 first revision.

    My question is:
    Should I buy a quad or six core phenom ii for now and later build a lga 2011(my goal) setup

    Or

    Should I just save the $140 towards the LGA 2011 build which is my ultimate goal.

    Would the performance of a phenom 4 or 6 core make a difference on my gaming?

    FYI this is a gaming rig to be played at high resolutions at ultra settings
    Other specs
    750 watt sli capable power supply
    Gtx 680
    8gb at 1333

    I'd wait a little longer for the Ivy's. Whatever you'd spend now would be that much less for your goal.
  2. @Chaz21 - yes ivy was an option I considered, but I was leaning more toward Intel's performance line and the socket LGA 2011 with quad channel memory, I'll keep my eye on the ivy bridge benchmarks as they come up.

    So it would be fair to say an AMD cheap and quick upgrade wouldn't be worth it for the next few months?
  3. tjhookr said:
    @Chaz21 - yes ivy was an option I considered, but I was leaning more toward Intel's performance line and the socket LGA 2011 with quad channel memory, I'll keep my eye on the ivy bridge benchmarks as they come up.

    So it would be fair to say an AMD cheap and quick upgrade wouldn't be worth it for the next few months?

    If you're going to keep both systems or can get a good price for the AMD setup if you decide to sell in a couple months then yes it would be worth it.
  4. Best answer selected by tjhookr.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Phenom