Your question

[Solved] Confirm I have a dud PSU?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 3, 2012 4:57:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I just finished building a new HTPC/mid-level gaming machine (specs at bottom of the post) and things have gone pretty well. Aside from having the power button lead reversed, everything booted and worked on the first try!

Except there now seems to be a minor problem in that it's randomly shut down three times now in the four days it's been alive. Twice while watching a TV show through XBMC and once last night while watching a Youtube video. No errors or warning, just flips right off. Once (maybe twice, cant remember), when I went to turn it back on, it stayed on the BIOS load screen and I had to turn it off and back on. Then it worked fine.

I'm fairly confident it's not overheating. At idle it's around 33-35C across all four cores and I've tested it at 100% load which takes it up to the mid 70C area with no problem. I've played a handful of games on it so far (including Metro 2033 which is pretty demanding on a system) with no problems. While it's playing video, it's only in the 40C range so it doesn't seem like that's the problem.

[edit] I totally forgot to include this. I did check the Windows event viewer which I believe pretty much confirms it's a power issue. It shows a Critical Kernel-Power error (event ID 41). I can post everything under the details tab if anyone needs it.

Just thought I'd check in here before I go through the hassle of filling a RMA. Thoughts?

CPU: i5-2500k 3.3GHz (not OC'd)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Pro3-M
Memory: (2 x 4GB) Patriot Gamer 2 Series
GFX: Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1GB
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520w (refurb; I know I know but I was assured that it would be fine.)
HD: Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm 6gb/s
Case: Thermaltake Black v3

Thanks!
-Sean

More about : solved confirm dud psu

a c 104 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 5:02:59 PM

**PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520w (refurb; I know I know but I was assured that it would be fine.)

are you seeing a potential problem here?
I would Rma it and get yourself a brand new unit, remove the possibility of it being the cause before serious damage occurs,
if your Pc is still acting up afterwards then at least you know it is not your Psu,
apart form the paperclip trick,theres not a lot you can do at home with a Psu, other than check the outputs with a multimeter, and even then its not a definite yay or nay to the Psu's condition, it may freak out at a specific load level,
Rma is my advice and see where that puts us
Moto
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:05:24 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
**PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520w (refurb; I know I know but I was assured that it would be fine.)

are you seeing a potential problem here?
I would Rma it and get yourself a brand new unit, remove the possibility of it being the cause before serious damage occurs,
if your Pc is still acting up afterwards then at least you know it is not your Psu,
apart form the paperclip trick,theres not a lot you can do at home with a Psu, other than check the outputs with a multimeter, and even then its not a definite yay or nay to the Psu's condition, it may freak out at a specific load level,
Rma is my advice and see where that puts us
Moto

Hi Moto,

Yea, I pretty much agree just figured I'd get second/third/fourth opinions while I'm at work and can't send it in at the moment.

I don't have any experience with RMA'ing computer parts in almost 10 years. They'll likely send me another refurbished PSU, correct? Doing a full refund/exchange where I bought it isn't really feasible since it's ~50 minutes away.

Thanks!
-Sean
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 5:09:01 PM

Another option is to use a known good Psu if you have one around, I know a lot of people don't hoard hardware though :p 
I'm not sure how the Rma policy would work out Re:replacing it with another refurb, maybe call/Email and ask to verify
I've been lucky in that I've only ever had one Mobo which was incorrect model sent, I got on my Motorbike and rode an hour to the shop, instant swapover and apologies (plus I got a coffee for being a biker hehe)
**Edit, just a quick thought, have you gone over the troubleshooter in homebuild? maybe helpful to do,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
Moto
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:13:58 PM

Yea, unfortunately this one is my only PSU.

I didn't run through that troubleshooter since it was headed as no boot/video problems but I'll take a look.

Thanks!
-Sean
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 6:56:19 PM

Its always worth checking things like your ram and connections, just in case you did miss something :) 
Moto
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:01:34 PM

Roger that. I'll definitely be running the full gamut of RAM tests when I get home. OCZ support seems to think that it's not the PSU and they seem honest enough on their boards.

I'll try and remember to check back in here just to update the results.

Thanks!
-Sean
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 9:50:30 PM

Hi

not strictly relevant but you said

'Aside from having the power button lead reversed,'

The power button and reset button on most cases do not have a polarity/correct way round as it is a momentary connection to start or reset motherboard . The motherboard then signals the PSU.

If you have a multimeter you could connect it to a molex connector to check the voltage 5V (red/black) or 12V ( yellow / black) with a light load, then with high load on CPU then high load on Graphics to see if PSU is stable and within voltage limits.

[5V +_ 5% - 12V +_10%]

best of luck

Mike Barnes
m
l
April 11, 2012 12:13:20 AM

Well, turns out this might be one of those extremely simple solutions. I had the PC plugged into a power strip, not the wall. After switching the plug to directly into the wall, I haven't had a single shutdown. Hopefully I didn't just jinx things.

I'm going to paste the exact error code I get so if others search for it, they might find this potential solution. I hadn't seen this suggested before, hopefully it helps someone else!

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Thanks!
-Sean
m
l
!