New PC wont turn on!??

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Alright so I finally got all the parts but the system wont turn on! I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly but when I hit the power button on the top of the case, it wont start on!

I really need help!

If you need any info, please let me know so I can figure this out and get it fixed!

I need lots of information.

Well, if you don't have anything plugged into the 4 or 8 pin white port near to the processor then plug something into it and try it. If it works, then I don't need any information.

If that isn't the problem or if that doesn't fix it, then tell me your whole system specs in addition to everything that happens when you start the computer.

Also, if you can take a picture of the inside of the case, feel free to do so and link them here.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
step 1. verify the system's power supply is plugged into the wall.
step 1.5. Verify the power switch on the PSU is switched on | not O (if applicable)
step 2. verify internal power connections of the 24/20 pin ATX plug and additional 4/8 pin aux power
step 3. verify the power button wires are connected to the header on the mobo
step 4. pics or it didn't happen (like raiddinn said)

mindistortionz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
did you have standoffs when you put the motherboard in the case. This same thing happened to me because I didn't. I was grounding the motherboard to the case and nothing would happen. Took it out and placed the standoffs in between the case and board and my problem was solved.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

wha?? you screwed the mobo directly into the case? I'm trying to picture this

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
If by white port you mean the CPU Power and/or Fan then I'm fine.

System:
• Case: CoolerMaster 922 HAF

• Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Green 650W Power Supply

• Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

• Motherboard: MSI 760GM-E51

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 960t

• GPU: Radeon 6790 1GB

• RAM: Patriot G2 Series 4GB (2x2gb) 1333MHz

• HDD: Seagate 500GB

The Motherboard power is moster certainly in!

And the standoffs might be a problem. I'm not using the ones from the case. theyre big head case screws. (round) Yes, but I couldnt find the ones from the case till much later

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I've made my share of mistakes don't get me wrong... that's just a new one too me... Personally my mistakes usually relate to buying stuff without doing research then being disappointed later... ie. bought RV03... great case don't get me wrong, but water cooling options are limited on it... and I bought a 1gb 6950 (non reference design) so that presents issues for water cooling as well... I think... I have learned my lesson... but i doubt it ;)

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

The stand offs serve the purpose of lifting the back of the mobo off the case... as long as the screws aren't hitting any contacts it should be fine... I've used case screws on the mobo standoffs before with no issue

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Connectors?

Okay the standoff holes (circular) are surrounded by bronze "dots".

Think of it like a donut. The hole in the center being where the standoff fits and where the toppings of the donut would be where the bronze "dots" would be. are those connectors?

mindistortionz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I have paper washers that went on the screw before screwing the mobo down to the stand offs, without them I had problems.

And yeah I actually did screw my mobo directly into my case once. I saw the extra bag of stand offs and didn't know what the heck they were.Ha..

Yes, just start over.

Take everything out of the case and put it all on a wooden table. You can leave the CPU and 1 RAM stick in the motherboard, but all the rest goes.

Then plug the PSU twice into the motherboard and put a small metal object on the two pins labeled PWR_BTN in the motherboard manual. This should turn it on.

Tell me how it responds.

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Okay. So I'm starting my build again and just to be sure I need to ask,

When plugging in the fans, I have one strip for that with three connectors on it. (non-modular PSU) I plugg the white connector from the fans into each black connector of the PSU meant for the fans. But there are still three white connectors (that can have something plugged INTO them) left over.

Can those stay unplugged?

The only things I have left over are the data cables for the HDD and DVDD, and another PCI cable.

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
And another question.

Are the white connectors jumpers?

Would I take one of the three leftover white connectors and plug it into the DVDD?

Like I said i only have the data cables, PCI cable and three leftover white connectors.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
you should have fan headers on your motherboard as well as on the psu... the fan on your CPU should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the mobo not the PSU otherwise it will give you errors saying the cpu fan is missing or speed is low on boot

Jumpers are something else entirely.

Jumpers are something that electricity must pass through in order for certain things to happen.

In the back of an old hard drive there was a place for a little white thing to go in. If you set it the way the picture showed for "Master" then the computer would try to boot from that drive. If you set it the way the picture showed for "Slave" then the computer wouldn't try to boot from it.

The computer's power button acts as a jumper. There are two pins on the motherboard listed in the manual as PWR_BTN. The computer cannot turn on unless power flows from one to the other. If nothing is plugged in then the computer cannot start.

You can put a screw driver across these two things if the power button on the case isn't plugged into these buttons and the computer will turn on.

If you do plug in the power button from the case, what happens is when you push the power button then power will flow up the cable to the power button, threw a piece of metal touching the other wire, back down the other wire, and thus the two pins are completely linked and the computer will turn on.

What you mean is:

Are they splitters? Can they take one source of power and turn it into two?

They can do so.

Many devices that are connected to power cords don't use all the power available. Thus you can split the line between two devices and both will use their amounts and it will still work.

You should be able to do that with those cables you have.

You should be able to plug anything into any port that it is designed for and it should work. If it looks like they go together, they probably do.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I think you're getting your nomenclature for your cables mixed up too...
molex (female) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg/800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg
molex (male) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Molex_male_connector.jpg/800px-Molex_male_connector.jpg
PCI-e connector (can be 6 or 8 or 6+2) http://techreport.com/r.x/psus-0907/pcie-connectors.jpg
SATA power http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/SATA_Power_Plug.jpg/800px-SATA_Power_Plug.jpg
Fan Connector (comes in 3 or 4 but will plug into either) http://www.virtualinformation.com/ebay_images/3pinYcablelg.jpg
Auxillary Power (4 Pin or 8 Pin or 4+4) I can't find a picture, but it looks like the PCI-e connector, but won't say PCI-e on it... your mobo has a 4 pin plug as it is an AMD and intel uses an 8 pin plug now

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
All three fans of the case are plugged in to the PSU.

The CPU Fan is not plugged into the PSU. Never as been.

Okay, so lets see if I have this right.

The MOBO power is definitely plugged in.

If I'm not mistaken, the Power switch, Reset switch and LEDs are plugged in.
I went to the manual and found the pins I believe you are talking about, at the bottom right hand of the Motherboard (motherboard is in the case correctly) several days ago and plugged in the switches like I said

Power button aside, lets see if I have thjis part correct as well;

To clarify, from the can there are two connectors, one where you can plug it into something, (eg. pins are pocking outward) and one where it can have something plugged INTO it (eg. pins are relatively "holo")

The thing I dont understand is, the leftovers are CONNECTED TO THE FANS!

Could I still take a left over white connector and use it for the DVDD? Wouldn't it split the power so both work?
(a black connector from the PSU wont reach the DVDD)

All three fans of the case are plugged in to the PSU.

Sorry if I'm going in circles, but without a doubt I understand what both are you are sating and where youre coming from

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Okay thank you slhpss. Lets rephrase shall we?

There is a molex male and female to each fan. All the male molex are plugged into the female molex of the PSU. but I have one leftover female molex for each fan.

I am now trying to set up the HDD and DVDD. But the Female Molex of the PSU wont reach the Male Molex of the DVDD. Could I take a Female Molex leftover from the fans and plug it into the DVDD and have it slit the power so both work?

Like I said sorry if I'm running in circles.

Generally, the connectors are called either the male end or the female end. For the purposes of this, you ignore the protective housing on the outside of a connector, it only matters what the internal design is like.

The ports on the wall for a regular electrical outlet are female end. The power cords you plug into them are male end.

In the back of your average hard drive is a male end connector. Coming out of the PSU is the female end connector that plugs into it.

Anyway, if you use these things when you are describing things, then people understand it better.

Anyway, it sounds like you mean that your fan cables have extra female end cables attached to them that you can plug into, say, a hard drive or CD drive. If so, then yes it should work without problems.

The total number of amps on the wire is the thing of primary importance.

Imagine if you daisy chained like 50 surge protectors one after another. If you plug something into the last one, it should still operate. It isn't advised to daisy chain like this, but it should technically work.

This is the same sort of effect.

If I understand your fans, they allow this sort of daisy chaining to take place. Ideally you will want to use it only as much as you must, preferring to plug things into the PSU cords directly, but if you run out of direct PSU cords then they still do the same thing in a slightly worse way.

- Edit -

If you look in the pictures for this 120 mm Xigmatek fan, it has an accessory with it that I think is what the OP is describing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233015