Your question

If you had to pick one of these

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Desktops
Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2013 10:20:23 PM

Hi there.

I'm having issues with picking up the ideal mobo for a new desktop but no one seems to tell me what should i pick and why. I'm looking to build a fairly appropriate gaming desktop that is somewhat "future proof". I know this "future proof" thing is hadly known but i wanna know the most viable choice for a mobo that i wont need a new one in some here years (lets make it 5 years for example). Can you guys pick me a mobo according to what i intend, from the list in this link?
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#sort=a6&s=8&f=2&l=2,1000&R=5,4&t=32768&n=4
Don't go to wide on prices, just pick the one you would pick as being featurewise/future-proof/low price.

Those are all intel chipsets, if you think i should get an AMD board instead tell me why.

Ty in advance

More about : pick

Anonymous
February 10, 2013 11:03:38 PM

I am currently using the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and it seems to be pretty future proof. It has duel thunderbolt ports for maximum 10 gb/second transfer rates and it has ultra-durable 5 for long lasting military class components.

I have it inside my gaming computer, and you could achieve very good overclocks if you need to.

here is what Ultra-durable 5 has

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/312/ud5.html
February 10, 2013 11:24:24 PM

Seems like a cool motherboard, but lets say i need to pick one cheaper than that, something costing about +/- 80 or less, what would you say?
Related resources
Anonymous
February 10, 2013 11:32:00 PM

Kailido said:
Seems like a cool motherboard, but lets say i need to pick one cheaper than that, something costing about +/- 80 or less, what would you say?

I feel like that motherboard has a good price to ratio aspect. cheaper motherboards are cheaper because the manufacturer is cutting something somewhere. Motherboards that are over this price are made for extreme overclocking where every little feature matters.

A new bios update also enables 4k video out of the thunderbolt ports
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 11:39:07 PM

What's the intel cpu you're planning to get ?
It might be crucial for the answer, if it's an i3 or i5, i7 locked cpu, a h77 motherboard will be the best option, if it's an i5-3570k or i7-3770k a z77 board is what you need.
So for h77, get the asrock h77 pro 4 mvp, for a z77 board, since you just want to spend around 80£, get the MSI Z77A-G45.
February 11, 2013 12:57:19 AM

I'm not still sure if i should get a K CPU or not, I don't know if i'll ever overclock, but picture this, if i get a i5-3570 (not K) the h77 still does it right?

I'm still not confortable with all the overclock thing, because i want something to last the longest possible, and by overclocking i think i'm taking away time of life for a CPU or whatever overclocking affects. Well, this is the reference i have of about 10 years ago, overclocking was somewhat "extreme" in some cases. Is it still considered a bit too much nowadays or is it a common thing? like i won't decrease my pc life if i have a decent cooling system?
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 1:06:25 AM

Well, if you don't plan to overclock, get the h77, it has about the same features as the z77, yes, it's a good board, the only thing you'll lose is the overclocking capability and SLI support, multiple pcie 3.0/2.0 slots, i don't know if it does matter to you much, if you're planning to go with a single card setup, then you don't need the z77 board at all.
February 11, 2013 1:15:15 AM

Well, if the pcie x16 slot doesn't get outdated too soon, that will do it. But still, since i'm planning to get a radeon hd (between 7750 and 7870, depends on the money left) i can dual gpu since that asrock has crossfirex support. Ty for help ;) 
February 11, 2013 11:21:36 AM

im sorry to double post but there are ppl telling me to get a b75, so i can save some money in exchange of not getting a mobo with some features that i may not need. My question is, is a b75 as future-proof as a h77 or there is no diference between them whatsoever? For example, imagine this asrock b75 pro3 vs the asrock h77 you said. the money saving between the 2 is just a few coins as far as i saw, but which one would be a better pick?
a c 80 V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 1:14:02 PM

s1155 may almost be considered a dead-end as Haswell (this May/June) will be s1150.

a c 82 V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 1:56:24 PM

Kailido said:
im sorry to double post but there are ppl telling me to get a b75, so i can save some money in exchange of not getting a mobo with some features that i may not need. My question is, is a b75 as future-proof as a h77 or there is no diference between them whatsoever? For example, imagine this asrock b75 pro3 vs the asrock h77 you said. the money saving between the 2 is just a few coins as far as i saw, but which one would be a better pick?

The h77 has more sata III ports and usb 3.0, also it has ssd caching, also there's no raid function for the b75, if you don't need those features, then, yes, the b75 will do.
February 11, 2013 4:44:22 PM

Wisecracker said:
s1155 may almost be considered a dead-end as Haswell (this May/June) will be s1150.

Well, if i get a socket 1155 with for example an i5-3570, by the time i'll need an upgrade, s1150 won't be the newest socket out there and an i5-3570 is plenty to run games and casual applications for many years. The i5-3570 does even meet the optimal requirements of any game atm