Comments javascript:void(0) error

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello, I have searched around and have yet to find a solution, I know there is a tread out there already but it was closed by a mod and there was no solution to be found there as well.

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this but its the best I could find.

Im using an up-to-date Ie8 and I'd like to stick with it so please dont suggest another browser.

On any Tom's sites when I go to comment on an artical, when I hit submit 10%-20% of the time nothing will happen at all. With a javascript:void(0) error on the status bar.

I hit refresh as some have suggested, no go.
Turned off pop-up blocker, nothing yet.
Checked Script settings, nothing.

Any insite or sugestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Solution
For what it's worth, I used to use IE7 at work, and had the same type of issues. I would occasionally get that javascript error, and I also had occasional freezing.

I've since switched to a browser called Pale Moon. It's a browser based on Firefox. Since then, I've had no issues at work, and I use Firefox at home, with no issues.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Hello aford10,

1. I have checked the proxy settings, all were disabled.

2. The setting in Ie8 for script was enabled.

Thanks for the suggestions, been scratching my head about this one for a while. I was really hoping not to change browsers, but well see were this goes and maybe one day i'll take the leap.

For what it's worth, I used to use IE7 at work, and had the same type of issues. I would occasionally get that javascript error, and I also had occasional freezing.

I've since switched to a browser called Pale Moon. It's a browser based on Firefox. Since then, I've had no issues at work, and I use Firefox at home, with no issues.

Solution

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I am still incountering this problem in IE8, just thought I'de let others know that it seems to happen a majority of the time when a Youtube video is included in the artical.

Couldn't post on Sony Move artical, had Youtube Video
Cannot post on Stephen Hawking artical, it has a Youtube video also.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Cannot post on Half Life fan trailer artical either, this seems to support the idea that it has somthing to do with the Youtube videos are embedded into the articals.

If a mod sees this please give your insite into this theory. I know I listed this as solved but as I had lost hope of a solution and was getting alot of "chose best answer" e-mails.

I know the Dev. team is doing some work on the site. We have had other members with some issues recently.

Have you at least tried a different browser? The site really does render better with Firefox. It would be a good test to see if the issue also occurs with other browsers.

P.S....if you get a better answer than what was selected above, just let me know, and I can change the best answer selection.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks aford10 for the update.

Well is was going to wait for IE9, but as many have found out last week its for Vista and Win7 only :-( Im still on XP. But I guess I will give Firefox a try as you have suggested, I am just concerned about security and Im not a fan of the tab browsing. Basically I really dont know much about these other browsers.

Really?? I think the tabbed browsing is one of my favorite features. Another nice feature, is you can highlight something, right click on it, and there is a google search option.

As far as security goes, I don't recall any real issues with FF in particular. Nothing close to the breach IE7 had late last year.

randomizer

Champion
There's really no difference between tabbed browsing and not, except on Win 7 (taskbar groups windows by default). You either switch between tabs at the top of your browser or switch between windows at the bottom. Either way you're switching between something.

When you have several things open, IE can group all the IE windows together. Then you have to click on the group, and figure out which window you wanted. With the tabs, they are all laid out next to each other. It sounds lazy, but it's one less click.

I find it most useful when I'm at work, and I've got ~15 different apps running at once, and need multiple browser windows/tabs.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
As to not start a new thread since this once's somewhat similar.. I'm using an up to date (non-beta) FF and I can't EVER submit a comment on an article. Help?

(works fine on the other computers in my house)

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey Mark,

I have only had the problem in IE and switched to FF as suggested by aford10 and after 5-10min I found I did not like it at ALL, and quickly un-installed it, I hope it didn't leave to much junk behind.

What was happening to me was any article with a youtube video embedded in it I got that error and could not post anything.

Since first posting this thread, and a few months before when I started reading Tom's a lot, up until yesterday I have just been dealing with it and not commenting on articles with videos.

But yesterday I switched to Google Chrome and I have to say it fixed the comment posting error and I like it quite a lot, I think its going to be my main browser from now on. :)

Are you positive you are logged in at the time? And if the article is on Tom's Guide not Tom's HW, you have to log in there separately as well.

To sum it up try Google Chrome, its a nice browser and clean looking, just the way I like it. It will solve ALL your posting problems, or at least it has for me. :D

randomizer

Champion
Chrome used to have a lot of problems with the functionality here. It seems to be working fine these days though. I use it at work as my main browser (Firefox is a bit heavy for my work PC) but prefer Firefox overall mostly because it has far superior bookmark handling.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
That is VERY true and the only gripe i have so far. I have ~200 favorites, probably alot more, in ~40-50 folders. When I imported them from IE, Chrome just lists them all alphabetically and not the organized manner I have had them in well over a year, and now I have to go through and put them manually back to how I like them to be organized :( , another thing that gets me is that all the bookmarks are stored into a single file and not files and folder that are easily managed.

I believe that like in IE you have to have your cursor over the submit button to see the error, if there is one, on the bottom toolbar.

randomizer

Champion
I just don't like having no simple access to my bookmarks. Firefox has a bookmarks menu or button (depending on whether you run 3.6.x or 4.x) and Chrome doesn't. Even when it did you had to use a command-line switch to get it, but since Chrome 6 they removed even that.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
You try to take my stapler?? [:aford10:4]
you betcha
moon_is_mine_lol_cat_postcard-p239192797944548068trdg_400.jpg

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
They do have a Bookmarks toolbar you can drag-n-drop to and the bookmarks manager, you can create a fav menu just like the format in IE.