New graphics card causing problems?

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
ok so i recently purchased a second 5770 for crossfire, for the first week or so it was working fine, not it seems unstable. its weird.

During games the cards work 100% fine, no problems. but while im doing something simple like using Microsoft Word or anything like that i get artifacts+freezes (display driver has stop responding and has recovered), blue screen crashes, and just now a random gray screen.

my specs

Ati 5770 x2 (1 Msi 5770, works fine, 1 Xfx 5770, causing the problems)
Amd phenom II 955 @ stock.
5gb ddr2 (2x2+1x1)
3 hdd's
msi-790xt-g45 mobo
Antec earthwatts 650w psu

at first i thought it was a driver issue, iv tried both 11.10 and 11.9. should i try 11.8?

then i thought it was maybe some kind of crossfire or PSU issue. But i tried using only the one xfx card alone and i still got the issues.

both cards are set to stock. Temps are normal. do you think if i pushed the voltage up to 1.25 or 1.3 without overclocking that would stabilize it?

If you are not overclocking the cards then you shouldn't have to adjust the voltage. I am thinking that since you have two different manufacturers cards then there may be differences between the two , or in looking at your post again , have you tried the MSI card by itself and if so are you having the same problems with just the MSI card by itself. If not then I would say that the XFX card is defective and you should RMA the card before the 30 days is over.