Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need some feedback on this PSU, Is it reliable..?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 3, 2012 7:21:31 PM

Hey, currently im buying parts for a new system build but im never too shure on the PSU's so I need your oppinion. Do you reckon that the make of this PSU etc is reliable?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_legacy.php?area=e...



Thanks.

More about : feedback psu reliable

April 3, 2012 7:32:37 PM

Ive got an old SilverStone atx case, Im using it for my latest build, its pretty ugly but its reliable, strong and has good airflow.
Related resources
April 3, 2012 7:34:31 PM

Do you reckon it will be able to handle two 6000 series graphics cards etc...
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 7:35:05 PM

when it comes to cases, beauty is in eye of the beholder...or just keep the lights low in the PC room. the case just needs to hold your stuff and have room for 2-3 fans.
April 3, 2012 7:36:42 PM

Yea case can hold 4 fans and is full atx size.
April 3, 2012 7:41:28 PM

To be honest ive got a choice of three PSU's, what one do you think will be the best option?

They are:
SilverStone Olympia 1000w 80Plus
Shark Technology 1000w PSU
Mushkin Joule 1000w 80Plus
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 7:52:43 PM

electricfirebolt said:
To be honest ive got a choice of three PSU's, what one do you think will be the best option?

They are:
SilverStone Olympia 1000w 80Plus
Shark Technology 1000w PSU
Mushkin Joule 1000w 80Plus

Well, the SilverStone Olympia 1000w 80Plus is on AMD's Certified PSU list if that helps you any.
April 3, 2012 7:54:37 PM

People mention that you need dual rails/ quad rails is that really necessary as the olympia only has single rail?
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 7:57:58 PM

electricfirebolt said:
People mention that you need dual rails/ quad rails is that really necessary as the olympia only has single rail?

Not with 80 Amps on that single rail.
April 3, 2012 7:59:47 PM

So it will be reliable and will be able to support my system?
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 8:04:15 PM

electricfirebolt said:
So it will be reliable and will be able to support my system?

At least according to AMD it will be.
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 8:53:26 PM

electricfirebolt said:
So it will be reliable and will be able to support my system?


assuming the PSU is new (not bought second hand) then you will be fine.
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 11:11:36 PM

op i would be a little weary of that psu yes its reasonable but because its a single high amp rail if it goes its almost guaranteed to take other parts with it...
it doesnt have much in the way of a description for its protection and thats what makes me weary...
multiple rails with lower amps are more reliable in the sence that when they go theres a lot less power needed to trip the protection, and will trip a lot quicker then if it were a single high amp rail. so much less chance of the psu taking other parts with it... on a single rail it takes longer for the protection circuits to kick in and this is what leads to other components being damaged...
this isnt true for all hi amp psu's but quite a lot of them , enough to make me think twice in my opinion

silverstone do build extremely sturdy psu's but even they can have problems with single vault rails when it comes to over volt protection... especialy on there older models...

also why 1000w? do you have 3 gtx 570's or more? if not then you need a smaller unit... as the extra wattage is doing nothing other than working against the efficiency of the unit... most psu's dont hit there efficiency mark till they get to half the max load some even as high as 70 percent load b4 they hit there 80+efficiency ratings... so with a 1000w unit thats only using 300w you could be drawing quite a bit more from the wall than a smaller unit thats operating in its efficiency band...


basically buy what you actually need not what you think sounds like it will do the job... as the old guys keep saying why buy a 200mph car when the speed limit is 70... yes it will do 200mph but your never gonna be able to drive that fast and even if you can your gonna drink juice faster than a parched irishman on st. paddys day...
a b ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 12:25:52 AM

HEXiT said:
op i would be a little weary of that psu yes its reasonable but because its a single high amp rail if it goes its almost guaranteed to take other parts with it...
it doesnt have much in the way of a description for its protection and thats what makes me weary...
multiple rails with lower amps are more reliable in the sence that when they go theres a lot less power needed to trip the protection, and will trip a lot quicker then if it were a single high amp rail. so much less chance of the psu taking other parts with it... on a single rail it takes longer for the protection circuits to kick in and this is what leads to other components being damaged...
this isnt true for all hi amp psu's but quite a lot of them , enough to make me think twice in my opinion

silverstone do build extremely sturdy psu's but even they can have problems with single vault rails when it comes to over volt protection... especialy on there older models...

also why 1000w? do you have 3 gtx 570's or more? if not then you need a smaller unit... as the extra wattage is doing nothing other than working against the efficiency of the unit... most psu's dont hit there efficiency mark till they get to half the max load some even as high as 70 percent load b4 they hit there 80+efficiency ratings... so with a 1000w unit thats only using 300w you could be drawing quite a bit more from the wall than a smaller unit thats operating in its efficiency band...


basically buy what you actually need not what you think sounds like it will do the job... as the old guys keep saying why buy a 200mph car when the speed limit is 70... yes it will do 200mph but your never gonna be able to drive that fast and even if you can your gonna drink juice faster than a parched irishman on st. paddys day...

I agree with you - but we were kind of limited in what to chose between. The Silverstone is the only one I had ever heard of and the only one even sold in a store I had ever heard of. We weren't really free to chose what we would've normally recommended.
!