Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help With First Build

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2011 5:37:35 PM

Hi, I'm building my first computer, and I am wondering if the parts I have chosen are decent for a gaming computer, and if they are compatible with each other. I have already purchased the RAM, the HDD, the PSU, and the DVD writer. The other parts I am considering to get are the Intel Core i5-2500, the Radeon HD 6870, this NZXT full tower case, and this ATX motherboard. Also, my budget is pretty low, I have about $550 left (after purchasing the other parts). Thanks for helping!

More about : build

December 27, 2011 5:58:01 PM

What type and some names of games are you planning to play?

The HDD and DVD writer are fine the way they are. Your RAM may not work on that motherboard since it supports dual channel memory so you need at least 2 sticks total. I'm not familiar with that PSU brand so you may be lucky and have it work for a while and then fail or it just fails altogether.

Have you considered getting an i3 2100k and maybe a mid-tower case or are you trying to future proof at the same time? The Zero 2 has a top mounted PSU in case you didn't know...
m
l
December 27, 2011 6:04:49 PM

Engima said:
What type and some names of games are you planning to play?

The HDD and DVD writer are fine the way they are. Your RAM may not work on that motherboard since it supports dual channel memory so you need at least 2 sticks total. I'm not familiar with that PSU brand so you may be lucky and have it work for a while and then fail or it just fails altogether.

Have you considered getting an i3 2100k and maybe a mid-tower case or are you trying to future proof at the same time? The Zero 2 has a top mounted PSU in case you didn't know...

Are you sure that with dual channel memory, you need two sticks? Just one stick wouldn't work?
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2011 6:08:27 PM

You can see if it works with one stick. There have been instances where people use 1 stick and it works while 2 sticks doesn't.
m
l

Best solution

December 27, 2011 6:14:32 PM

I do hate to say it, but I wish you had come in here before you bought the other parts.

Some of the parts you have chosen will make other things more complicated.

The Raidmax PSU can't be trusted to provide the full power amount nor to deliver power cleanly. Maybe it will or maybe it won't, but the dice have already been rolled on that.

Also, not every RAM works with every motherboard. Ideally, you want to choose the processor, then the motherboard, then the RAM, but now things have to be done in a reverse sort of order.

The RAM should work in a regular Asus P8P67. It doesn't have that exact part number, but it does have the D-8GBNT version in the QVL which, if I am not mistaken, is the same thing except with just 2 of those sticks instead of 1.

www.newegg.com has a lot of open box copies of that motherboard for about $115 which is a good price on it, but you have to be willing to accept a board that someone else returned opened for whatever reason or one that was used for testing something or other.

Not the worst thing given the situation.

If you take one of those, then you can use the 2500k.

The 6870 is a good card for the under $200 range, and hopefully the PSU will be able to power it.

The NZXT cases are mentioned reasonably often around here.

I am having trouble locating a QVL for the motherboard you chose, so if you want it specifically instead of the one I chose I would seriously try to find a QVL before you get it and make sure your RAM is on it.
December 27, 2011 8:22:01 PM

Raiddinn said:
Also, not every RAM works with every motherboard.

Thanks for the help, but can you explain to me why the RAM wouldn't work on the motherboard I have chosen? The motherboard supports DDR3 1333.
m
l
December 27, 2011 8:42:54 PM

I'm not trying to sound mean but the RAM listed the motherboard chipsets it was compatible with and the P67 is not on there.
m
l
December 27, 2011 8:43:41 PM

Read my responses to Ragwendra in this thread on TH

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/302479-12-matched-p...

and you will learn pretty much everything you need to know about RAM.

What you want to know should be in there somewhere.

If you read it and you aren't satisfied, then come back in here with what questions you still have.
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:04:09 PM

Oh nevermind, that has the LGA1156 socket, not the LGA1155
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:08:54 PM

The point is that you are the safest you can be if your RAM is on your motherboard's QVL or if your motherboard is on your RAM's QVL.

Find a motherboard for which your RAM is on its QVL.
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:09:53 PM

So would I need another type of RAM?
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:18:04 PM

Raiddinn said:
The point is that you are the safest you can be if your RAM is on your motherboard's QVL or if your motherboard is on your RAM's QVL.

Find a motherboard for which your RAM is on its QVL.

Yeah, the problem is that I don't think that there are any motherboards with the LGA 1155 socket type that are supported with that RAM.
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:20:18 PM

The P7P67 board did have a similar RAM part number on its QVL to what you have. One that afaik is a kit with 2 of the exact same sticks you have now.

That is why I suggested it.

It was my best attempt at finding a compatible motherboard.

If you don't want the one that I chose, then look for a motherboard with the RAM part number you have on its QVL.

This is a PITA process that I already did to a reasonable standard, but if you want to reinvent the wheel you are welcome to.

In my first post I said most people choose the processor then the motherboard then the RAM because that is the simplest way to go about it. You can get a motherboard you know 100% will work with the processor and then you can just take part numbers off a list and check the prices for them online and buy the cheapest. That way you are guaranteed to get RAM that works.

I am not trying to make you get additional or different RAM here, but I am trying to get you to do the legwork you brought on by buying the RAM first in order to salvage the purchase.

It is a quite painful process that I am sure many of us here aren't going to feel happy doing, but it would be right up your alley since you are invested already in the RAM.
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:27:35 PM

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. So you think that the RAM would work on the P8P67?
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:41:23 PM

On the page for the P8P67, it said:
"MemOK! - Any Memory is A-OK!"

Does that mean that it would work? Or would the memory still not work with it?
m
l
December 27, 2011 10:46:19 PM

I can guarantee you nothing. All I can give you is a probably.
m
l
December 27, 2011 11:09:29 PM

The RAM will work, but it will only be at half the speed compared to two sticks. Also, decide if you really need a full tower case, they are bigger than they look.
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:21:02 PM

If the RAM doesn't work, does it mean that the RAM isn't compatible with the motherboard, or does it mean that I need another stick?
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:27:02 PM

Motherboards just always work better when you have "sets" of as many as the motherboard expects.

For most boards that is 2x of the same kind. For x58 boards it is 3x of the same kind at once.

It could help if you add another stick of the exact same kind.

It could also not help. If the part numbers of the RAM aren't on the motherboard's QVL, then the RAM may never work in the motherboard.
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:30:04 PM

And sorry, I just realized that I linked to the wrong processor.
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:33:26 PM

No big deal. Everyone here knows what a 2500 is.
m
l
January 4, 2012 12:20:24 AM

Best answer selected by battlefront123.
m
l
!