Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts/Ideas on an upcoming build (Gaming Rig)

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2011 5:59:16 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: Soon (within next month or 2, depending on tax turn around)

Budget Range: Trying to keep it under $1,000.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, followed by Netflix/Online TV watching

Parts Not Required: I'm reusing my Logitech G15 keyboard, Logitech Marble Mouse, have a 21" old-school CRT, and a 13" LCD, basic speakers (use Logitech headset most of the time), 1TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm drive, and a 160gb other drive, that I use for booting.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, unless another site has an unbeatable deal.

Parts Preferences: I am most familiar with AMD and Nvidia. I really like EVGA for GPU, and Gigabyte for Mobos, have had a LOT of success with them

Overclocking: Maybe (probably not, not terribly comfortable with it, never really messed with it)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (again, probably not, haven't had a mobo with the capability before)

Monitor Resolution: About the best my old 21" CRT can do is 1280 x 1024. My LCD can do higher (never really maxed it out), but I don't use it as my main screen, since it's quite smaller.

Additional Comments: Would like to have a stable system, I host vent servers for friends, along with online Java games at times as well. So something that is ok to be left on for periods of time. Also, looking at something that won't require upgrading in the near future.

Parts I'm looking at:

Case - Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
I saw this case at a local PC parts store, and its quite impressive. I like the large number of fans. My previous case was a big bust, I had to run it with the side open to keep from overheating. My concern is that it might almost be overkill for what I want to do. I really like the PSU being mounted on the bottom, and the top-mounted Interface (USBs etc)

PSU - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

I'm not sure if I'll be keeping my old PSU or not, it's not really that old. I'm not sure what to look for in PSUs, so any advice is helpful. This one would cover my power needs, as figured by Newegg's power calculator.

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

GPU - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Memory - Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT51264FN186H

Right now, that build is costed out at around $715 bucks. This seems like a pretty nice build (at least to me), but I'm sure it could be improved somehow. My primary focus is Gaming. My old system was good, although Skyrim made it start to choke.

December 27, 2011 6:26:58 PM

i wouldn't do the amd cpu. if you can help it, can an i5-2500 or 2500k. around the same price but much better. also, you can find a motherboard for that chipset for the same mobo as you have listed now.

i would also personally go for something higher-- a GTX 570 or Radeon 6970. might as well make yourself futureproof.

that's a nice case tho.
m
l
December 28, 2011 1:25:46 AM

wow sorry. bad english. i menat you can find a motherboard for the intel lga 1155 chipset for around the same price as the am3+ motherboard you have listed
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2011 2:04:06 AM

Just out of curiosity, is there a benchmark site or something that shows how the Intel outperforms the AMD chip? I know that everyone 'says' it does, but honestly, for the price difference, it'd have to be kinda substantial. The only differences I can see comparing them to AMD chips like the one I am looking at is that the Intel ones come with Integrated Graphics.

I guess I'm kinda confused by this...is this a booster for a GPU, or is it an on-chip video processor that can replace a GPU?
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:12:42 AM

Also, checked today, the PSU I have is 630w, so I don't really need a new one, so that's a good thing. Brings the total down to about $670.

Also, I've seen a lot of talk about SSDs. Are they good for boot drives? They're fairly expensive as compared to a standard HD, but I have heard a lot of good things about them.

Sorry for the noobish questions. It's been about 4+ years since I last did a big build...been mostly replacing parts as needed since.
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:29:15 AM

integrated graphics arent good because you need the discrete graphics card. integrated graphics aren't as powerful, they're only good for like laptops or basic consumer desktops.

and yes, a good site is anandtech.com

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=434 <-- this is a benchmark from anandtech using the FX-8150, which is the most powerful FX CPU. they don't have benchmarks of the lesser powerful ones in AMD's FX lineup. in most games, the 2500k beats the 8150 by like 20 or 30 FPS.

as for SSD's, i don't have one personally but i have heard people say they can boot to the desktop within 20 seconds. when i boot from my 7200 RPM hard drive it takes about a little over a minute. so if you really want to just for booting, get a 64 gig. or 60 gig. i forget what size they come in. i've heard they're good in other applications, like for example when i render a video it would be faster to write that video to an SSD. depends if you think the money is worth it.

m
l
December 28, 2011 2:40:56 AM

Ok was just making sure. That's pretty much what I figured, the integrated graphics is crap for anyone who actually cares.

Honestly, in the long run, the difference isn't really that great. Especially with my older CRT monitor which is my main monitor, and probably will be until it fails, the framerate difference probably isn't really that big a deal. And the price difference is actually kinda substantial. 60-70 bucks on the CPU, and almost 100 bucks on the Motherboard.

The benchmark does definitely show that in most things the Intel is better, but in some it's not really.
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:47:30 AM

however you think your money is best spent. this setup will get you good gameplay in most games regardless, i just tend to be one to go for the best if i can.
m
l
December 28, 2011 3:07:34 AM

Thanks for the advice though...if I had more cash, I'd probably look a lot harder at an Intel chip and board.
m
l
!