Sign in with
Your question

Want to add more ram but slots not working

Last response: in Motherboards
February 11, 2013 12:09:08 AM

I have a P5K motherboard. My computer is running well but i want to increase the ram.

The slots are paired together, one yellow and one black slot in each pair. I currently have the first pair with 2 x 2 GB sticks. I have tried to add 2 x 2 GB sticks into the second pair and the computer starts up but nothing displays on the screen (ie the BIOS doesnt run). I have tried adding just one stick to the yellow slot and then just one stick to black slot of the second pair but it has the same result.

More about : add ram slots working

February 11, 2013 1:01:17 AM

what type of RAM do you have and have you checked for compatability with your MOBO?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 1:13:21 AM

try the new memory in the first channel alone also look at this faq for memory issue http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5K/#support_QVL after check the qvl list to see if yuor new memory is on and have compatibility with the one you already have .
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 1:14:48 AM

You didn't say which P5K board you have but I believe the max memory for most was 8Gb. Do you have a 64bit OS installed?
m
l
February 11, 2013 3:42:37 AM

It appears that after switching the ram sticks around that one of the sticks if faulty. Is this common? I havent had troubles before.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 11, 2013 6:32:28 PM

sometimes this could happens if those sticks are sold as dual channel rma both sticks .
m
l
February 11, 2013 11:21:20 PM

hmmm ok - I may take them back to the store.

My P5K board has a max memory of 8GB and I am running 64gb Windows 8.

I have checked the compatability of the ram and all 4 stick are the same.
m
l
!