Sign in with
Your question

Psu question

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2012 11:23:36 PM

Hey I have a quick question. I have been slowly upgrading my rig so I can eventually go SLI and I've come to the pony where I feel the psu should be next. Here's my setup so far:

CPU: amd phenom II x6 1090t BE(oc 3.9ghz vcore 1.4v)Aftermarket cooling
Mobo: asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Hd: WD 500gig 7200rpm
Graphics: evga gtx470 w/aftermarket cooler(oc 776mhz mem1855 voltage1.087)
psu: rosewill 530w green series
case: apevia Telstar

I'm also running 4 case fans and a blurry drive

Just looking for some suggestions on a psu upgrade and also any other advice you can give. My next upgrade would likely be a new mobo, looking at the asus formula V crosshair

More about : psu question

April 4, 2012 12:17:28 AM

I entered your info into a power supply calculator and if you went with GTX470 in SLI you need about a 800-850W power supply (this is just a rough estimate). The link below will give you a little more inormation, too.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-revie...

How much RAM did you have again?
m
l
April 4, 2012 12:28:20 AM

Ah yes I have 8 gigs(2x4gig) ripjaws 1333 I think

What did it say about just one? Like my setup I have now is it good enough?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1195 ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 2:50:14 AM

For a system using a single reference clocked GeForce GTX 470 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 470 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require at least an additional 5 Amp increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the CPU and GPU overclocking.

The Rosewill Green Series 530W (RG530-2 / RG530-S12), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is barely sufficient to power your system configuration with a single overclocked GeForce GTX 470.
m
l
April 4, 2012 6:10:22 AM

Ok thank you for the thorough answer! Could that be I can't overclock any further without running into issues?

Just curious what is holding me back from going farther, I know my card and CPU are capable im just not sure what's holding them back. I don't know that I need a new psu tho.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay at or below $100 if possible
m
l
a c 1195 ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 2:31:28 PM

pcpro1000 said:
Ok thank you for the thorough answer! Could that be I can't overclock any further without running into issues?

Just curious what is holding me back from going farther, I know my card and CPU are capable im just not sure what's holding them back. I don't know that I need a new psu tho.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay at or below $100 if possible

If you're prepping for two GeForce GTX 470 in 2-way SLI mode you really don't have a choice. You have to get a new power supply unit.

If you're sticking with one GeForce GTX 470 for the time being then you'll have to back off on your overclocking or else you'll start to run into system stability problems when the power supply is unable to deliver the +12V current needed by the CPU and GPU.
m
l
April 4, 2012 4:34:19 PM

Ok ya I definitely wanna get a new one regardless, I do plan on going for sli in the future. And for now I would like to know that my system is stable and has plenty of power.

That being said anyone have any suggestions for a budget psu that can push 2 470s eventually? I'm not a 'brand wagon' kind of guy so any and all input/personal experience is greatly appreciated! :) 
m
l
a c 1195 ) Power supply
April 5, 2012 2:36:11 AM

I would try to get one of these:

XFX 850W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
Reg. Price: $119.99 USD
After Mail In Rebate: $99.99 USD (Valid from Apr 01, 2012 to Apr 15, 2012.)

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63239&vpn=P1850SNLB9&m...

Lots of reserve capacity available with this PSU to perform overclocking.
m
l
!