How many hard drives can i use

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I am planing on connecting the following drives into my P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT
2 WD Red 1 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EFRX in a raid 0 config
2 Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX
1 Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD128BW

but the mother board says

Intel® Z77 chipset : *5
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *5
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *6
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

would be great if someone can help me figure out how to connect these drives.

InvalidError

Titan
Seems simple enough: make sure any pair of HDDs you plan to RAID together are plugged to the same controller and type of SATA ports. Beyond that, nothing particularly special about it.

You will likely want to spare the SATA3 ports for SSDs since mechanical HDDs come nowhere close to maxing out SATA2 ports.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
thank you so much. I have also decided to use only 1 blue drive to save a little money and I think its safer to have a remote back up via usb that I only connect when I need to back up something. and also becase my understanding is that a virus or something can wipe out everything on all the connected drives.
it looks like I will finally make the order today. I think I might ad a fan to the i7-3770k and maybe one to my cooler master storm trooper.

I hope I get to order this today.

thank you
Tom