Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help on approx. $900 upgrade for video editing

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2011 7:37:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've finally saved up enough money to buy a new PC, and I'm hoping I can get some advice on a build.

I edit video - lots of it. Almost always in HD, and usually originating as AVCHD (though I convert with cineform first). I currently use Adobe CS4, but will updating to the latest CS5.5 software when I get my new computer (it required 64-bit). I'll also be upgrading to Windows 7.

I mainly work in Premiere, but spend a decent amount of time working in After Effects, Audition and Photoshop as well (I also do still photo work). I also occasionally do multi-track recording in pro tools LE.

My current system:

AMD PhenomII X3 720 2.81 ghz
3.25 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series
XP Home SP3

I'm thinking I'll upgrade the processor, motherboard, video card and memory (keeping all the hard drives I already have), and would like to know what an ideal build would be. I was originally thinking of getting a dual processor i7 setup, but after doing some reading here on the forums, I'm thinking it would be a little much for my price range - ideally I'd like to stay somewhere in the range of a $500 - $900 (give or take). Ultimately I'd just like to get the best bang for my buck considering the software I use and what I do with my computer, but I don't know nearly enough about the various processors to make an intelligent decision.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, affordable system that would suit my needs?

Thanks in advance,
Luke
December 27, 2011 8:32:14 PM

I do the same thing and I use a Phenom 1090t @ 4.0 ghz with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooler. I also have 16 gb of memory (4 x 4 gb) and I have a 120 gb OCZ vertex 3 that I use as a cache drive for all the temporary files that Photoshop and Premiere generate. I also have a 20 gb swap file on there just in case. My main drive is a WD 2tb black series and my storage duties are handled by hard drives I swap out of an external USB 3.0 dock. I also use Windows 7 x64 so I can use all my memory.

With that setup you might not have to change your board and it would fall inside your budget.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2011 10:48:26 PM

Tom's did a comparison of the better CPUs in "Desktop CPU Charts 2010". You can see exactly what each chip does running each benchmark or program, for instance, "Encoding Video to H.264 Blu-ray 720p" with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. You can filter by brand and price.
Related resources
December 28, 2011 4:20:12 AM

Petrofsky said:
Tom's did a comparison of the better CPUs in "Desktop CPU Charts 2010". You can see exactly what each chip does running each benchmark or program, for instance, "Encoding Video to H.264 Blu-ray 720p" with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. You can filter by brand and price.

AND...

The chip I suggested is in the top 10, can be had for under $200 versus $300+ for intel and the motherboard you would have to buy. It also overclocks well too.
m
l
January 8, 2012 8:14:41 PM

Best answer selected by mrlament.
m
l
January 8, 2012 8:14:58 PM

Thanks, guys - all of this will help a lot.
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:04:42 AM

mrlament said:
Hi Everyone,

I've finally saved up enough money to buy a new PC, and I'm hoping I can get some advice on a build.

I edit video - lots of it. Almost always in HD, and usually originating as AVCHD (though I convert with cineform first). I currently use Adobe CS4, but will updating to the latest CS5.5 software when I get my new computer (it required 64-bit). I'll also be upgrading to Windows 7.

I mainly work in Premiere, but spend a decent amount of time working in After Effects, Audition and Photoshop as well (I also do still photo work). I also occasionally do multi-track recording in pro tools LE.

My current system:

AMD PhenomII X3 720 2.81 ghz
3.25 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series
XP Home SP3

I'm thinking I'll upgrade the processor, motherboard, video card and memory (keeping all the hard drives I already have), and would like to know what an ideal build would be. I was originally thinking of getting a dual processor i7 setup, but after doing some reading here on the forums, I'm thinking it would be a little much for my price range - ideally I'd like to stay somewhere in the range of a $500 - $900 (give or take). Ultimately I'd just like to get the best bang for my buck considering the software I use and what I do with my computer, but I don't know nearly enough about the various processors to make an intelligent decision.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, affordable system that would suit my needs?

Thanks in advance,
Luke

I edit on 5.5 everyday as I work for a TV station. Let me tell you that the smartest part you could chose to purchase is a GPU that supports CUDA acceleration. It cuts render/export times in half for most 720p or 1080p footage. The cheapest card that is currently supported by premiere pro's mercury playback engine is the NVIDIA GTX 470. I got a refurbed one for less than 190USD which honestly this was the best purchase I could have ever made. I actually bought one for myself at home after I saw how good it performed in my work's edit station I use. So trust me I'd highly advise you to throw down the money on a GTX470. If you'd like me to I can list all the parts in my works edit system for you along with the newegg links to everything and it will be around the $750-900 range so it will still be within your budget. Because since I work for a smaller TV station I definitely understand needing to stay on budget.
m
l
!