Did my new PSU mess up my monitor?

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi all,

I managed to install a new PSU (Antec EarthWatts 500 Green) on sunday evening, and right now I just noticed that my monitor is a little messed up. I think I would have noticed this before since I basically live in front of my computer.

My issue is that there is a small area (about 8mm x 5mm) that is in one blue, part yellow, with a little bit of black and pink running along its side if there is a white background. With darker backgrounds it is much less noticeable.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing before? Is there any way to fix what I've done? And most importantly, did I somehow install my PSU wrong and need to do something ASAP to prevent further damage?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Well - unless you've got a laptop - or your monitor somehow draws it's power from your PC - I don't see how your PSU screwed up your monitor. Maybe it could. Why don't you list all your components and we'll see what could've gone wrong.

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Okay I just returned to my computer since writing this message, and it has gotten much much worse - it is now about 4 centimeters long (so about 8x the length it was a few hours ago)

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 810
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard - Foxconn Aloe, chipset vendor and model is AMD 785GSB700
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4200
Hard drive - 733GB Seagate ST3750528AS SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 500W
Monitor Acer X203H

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Have you got a GPU that you can try? I'm afraid it may be your integrated graphics that's going.

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
It's funny that you ask, I actually installed my PSU because I bought a new GPU (6870) - unfortunately I can't figure out how to physically install it (there's actually a thread about it in the GPU section from a couple days ago)

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Because my gpu is integrated, if the problem lies there will changing my gpu fix it or do i also need to repair the motherboard? I already have a 6870 waiting to be installed, but now I don't want to put it in if something is going to wreck it

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I also think it is your GPU "going bananas"...
Installing discrete GPU should be a "peace of cake": open the case, locate your PCIe x16 slot (which in your case is the orange slot) and place the card there;
Important note: switch of the power supply by removing the power cable from the wall socket...
when card installed, boot your PC and go into BIOS where you should set the discrete card as default device (usually you don't need to do this but just check it at least)

that would be in short....

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Did you watch this video on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVZfet0BPTE
I only found a couple of videos (this was the best of the two). I know you may not have "this" card and I know you don't have this mobo but the procedure is the same. What make of 6870 do you have?

hairystuff

Distinguished
check your monitor on another pc or laptop to verify it, check your power cables or power outlets, sometimes bad earthing can cause all kinds of problems (a friend of mine had a bad power extension cord which wrecked 3 TFT monitors, it was all because the earth pin was damaged).

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
If it is my onboard GPU, is there any chance my mobo is now compromised too?

hairystuff - checking power cables, how do i do this? what am i looking for (i'm a complete newbie with this stuff)

13thmonkey - it is a flat LCD

As for installing my GPU, I'm going to take this stuff to my dad because he has installed hardware before. I just want to be sure that the motherboard isn't messed up by being attached to onboard graphics, and risk wrecking the new GPU I just bought.

Edit: and the monitor damage transfers over to another computer.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Good idea in letting someone with experience install your new GPU. Be sure you pay attention because I know you'll want to do it again someday. Your motherboard won't be harmed by you using your IGPU. There is a chance that you damaged a capacitor that has something to do with your IGPU circuit when you tried to install your GPU - I don't know for sure. Look on your motherboard next to the slot where you tried to place your GPU. See if there is any damage to the items "sticking up" from the motherboard they will look something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
See if they are bent down, crushed, leaking, whatever. If they are bent they may be shorting against something else - even the motherboard. If you don't trust yourself have your dad check. Have him do the plug/wire checks recommended also. Let us know.

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I got my GPU installed, and my dad didn't notice anything wrong hardware wise. That being said, my train of continuous dead pixels keeps growing. I don't know what to do :(

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
FinneousPJ - The thing is, this monitor issue started a day after I opened up my computer and played around with it, so I'm reluctant to believe these are two separate coincidental events.

Chaz - I'm not really sure what you mean. My monitor is connected to my GPU by the cable coming out of the monitor. I have the cable attached to the bottom of two slots, since my 6870 takes up two spots. It is on a Foxconn Aloe motherboard.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
"Chaz - I'm not really sure what you mean. My monitor is connected to my GPU by the cable coming out of the monitor. I have the cable attached to the bottom of two slots, since my 6870 takes up two spots. It is on a Foxconn Aloe motherboard."

I'm guessing that you are connecting through the DVI port because that's the only one your monitor and GPU support in common. I asked because I wanted to know if a "bad" cable could be at fault.

TRENDING THREADS