Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this normal?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 4, 2012 12:57:02 AM

Hi, I have an Intel Core i7 2600k. Based on Core Temp, my idle temps are between 36-42C. Under a 65-85% load, the temps go to between 85-92C. I am using the stock cooler. So my question is, are these temps normal? Should I invest in other means of cooling? Any way to lower the temps down? Also, when put under a load, the frequency changes to somewhere around 4400MHz. Shouldn't it be around 3400MHz or is this something else? Thanks.

More about : normal

April 4, 2012 1:11:07 AM

That's pretty normal. I would invest ina Cooler Master Hyper 212, it's 30 bucks and wil increase your CPU lifetime, and decrease its temps. That is a good CPU so if you have the time, invest in a liquid cooler. Another alternative is closed loop coolers, they are factory made water coolers, popular brands are corsair, asetek, and antec. For that chip I would recommend the Corsair H80 or the Asetek/antec equivilant. The Hyper 212 is an amazing deal for the price and you wont be disappointed. Custom liquid cooling is extremely gratifying but time consuming and need research, it's not like just walking into best buy and grabbing something. Closed loop cooling is pretty easy, just make sure your case can accomodate the radiator.
m
0
l
a c 119 à CPUs
April 4, 2012 1:31:53 AM

normal? there actually a little high...the idle temps are normal but the load temps are off by about 10'c and thats at 100% load...

make sure your hsf is locked down properly and the paste is air bubble free (do this by unlocking the clips and without removing the hsf from the cpu rotate it left and right a few times till you feel the resistance stiffen and lock it down again. hopefully this will get rid of any trapped air that may be insulating the cpu...
if its already pretty stiff then just lock it down as its unlikely to have any trapped air...
if your temps are still in the 80's @100% load then i would look at the airflow in the case...
hide your cables in the offside panel of the case make sure theres as much space in the case for air to move freely and nothing dangling that can interrupt the smooth flow...
if you have a side fan then turn it off for a while to see if thats causing turbulence which in turn can trap hot air and crate a hotspot in the case...


also check in bios to see that theres nothing that starts or stops the cpu fan at certain temps... for instance some boards have a setting where the cpu fan doesnt turn on till the cpu hits 20'c and wont step up to full speed unless the cpu hits say 50'c... if it does have this kind of setup then turn the values down by about 10'c this will cause your fan to start at lower temps and run faster at lower temps, which will help keep everything cool more effectively...

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 158 à CPUs
April 4, 2012 2:44:29 AM

Looks like your mobo auto overclocked you; happens quite a bit with asus mobos. This is why your temps are higher than normal. I would suggest you set it back to stock speed as those temps are too high.
Share
April 4, 2012 10:50:13 AM

HEXiT said:
normal? there actually a little high...the idle temps are normal but the load temps are off by about 10'c and thats at 100% load...

make sure your hsf is locked down properly and the paste is air bubble free (do this by unlocking the clips and without removing the hsf from the cpu rotate it left and right a few times till you feel the resistance stiffen and lock it down again. hopefully this will get rid of any trapped air that may be insulating the cpu...
if its already pretty stiff then just lock it down as its unlikely to have any trapped air...
if your temps are still in the 80's @100% load then i would look at the airflow in the case...
hide your cables in the offside panel of the case make sure theres as much space in the case for air to move freely and nothing dangling that can interrupt the smooth flow...
if you have a side fan then turn it off for a while to see if thats causing turbulence which in turn can trap hot air and crate a hotspot in the case...


also check in bios to see that theres nothing that starts or stops the cpu fan at certain temps... for instance some boards have a setting where the cpu fan doesnt turn on till the cpu hits 20'c and wont step up to full speed unless the cpu hits say 50'c... if it does have this kind of setup then turn the values down by about 10'c this will cause your fan to start at lower temps and run faster at lower temps, which will help keep everything cool more effectively...

My cables are all tidy. I have the Corsair 650D and it has excellent cable management. But like the other guy was saying, I think my CPU may be overclocked.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 6:07:28 PM

k1114 said:
Looks like your mobo auto overclocked you; happens quite a bit with asus mobos. This is why your temps are higher than normal. I would suggest you set it back to stock speed as those temps are too high.

Thanks, I went into the BIOS and saw that the reason for high frequencies was Intel's turbo. It was set to around 4.4GHz so I was getting high temps under that load. I put it down to around 3.8GHz (what is advertised) and I've been getting better temps, around 65-75C, much more normal. Thanks for pointing this out.
m
0
l
a c 119 à CPUs
April 4, 2012 9:43:24 PM

show your appreciation by giving K1114 recognition of best answer...
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 12:58:56 AM

Best answer selected by locomoco321.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 12:59:16 AM

HEXiT said:
show your appreciation by giving K1114 recognition of best answer...

Of course.
m
0
l
a c 158 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 12:21:22 AM

3.8ghz on all cores is still overclocked but your temps seem fine. What does your vcore go up to when in load? Knowing the auto setting, it is probably just a bit high.
m
0
l
!