Sign in with
Your question

Budget desktop tower for multitasking with MMO up

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2011 8:18:23 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range:200-500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: web surfing, FFXI game ,watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, all pretty much logitech USB stuff

Preferred Website(s) newegg.com, ncix.com

Parts Preferences: normal tower size incase i need to upgrade

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: not sure

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: mainly need fast multitasking while running FFXI an online MMORPG, wthout lag

sorry I didnt see this sticky form earlier an made arandom post
January 3, 2012 4:25:32 AM

Sorry, I looked and looked, but I just couldn't find anything in that budget range that would work. Any chance you would be willing to put one together yourself?

If not, here is what you need to look for:

* RAM, this will help you multitask like a boss. 3GB or more is where its at to be able to multitask like a boss.

* CPU, a dual core is what you'll need. I can't vouch for dual-core AMD processors as I never owned one, but an Intel dual-core from C2D on up to the i3 is more than enough processing power for a small budget.

* PSU, cause you'll need at least a computer with 300 watts or more (I suggest at least 400 watts) to handle a GPU that can handle games.

* GPU, cause you'll need one to play games.
January 5, 2012 6:30:22 AM

well I was looking on bestbuys towers and they have ones with 6gig ddr3 ram, with decent CPUs and radeon 3000 GPUs, but this game is really low spec ppl say almost any PC can run it these days np, so how do I know many cores a intel i3 has?

here are its requirements http://finalfantasyxionline.com/content/finalfantasyxi-... , so dont think gpu is a problem
Related resources
January 7, 2012 3:50:09 AM

You might overestimate Intel's ability to pull off integrated graphics. The integrated graphics on that processor is very weak. It may work well enough for an older game, but just keep in mind you might have to throw in a dedicated GPU if it doesn't work after all.

i3 processors all have two cores, plus hyperthreading. That processor is pretty powerful, so it'll do you well.

So go for it, the only thing the computer lacks is graphical horsepower. However, if you do end up needing to upgrade that, it won't take much to meet your needs (a $89 card would probably be more than suitable for your needs).
!