Need advice on budget parts for gaming upgrade

arbitt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Parts Not Required: Graphics card, HDD, APEX 500W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817154026&Tpk=allied%20d500exp%20power%20supply%20500w)

Budget Range: $300-$400

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Additional Comments: So, I mainly want to run SWTOR decently at 1920x1080. Would it be possible to find a decent Mobo, a decent quad core, and atleast 6GB of decent RAM with my $300-$400 budget?

I know I should probably upgrade the PSU too, but I'm going to be using an old GPU for awhile until I can afford a new one. I can upgrade my PSU when that time comes.

Solution
You could fit an Intel quad core with a decent motherboard and 8GB or RAM within a $400 budget (though it's cutting it close) but that wouldn't leave room for anything else unless you got a cheaper H67/H61 motherboard that doesn't support overclocking.

An AMD Phenom quad or six core could fit within your budget but I don't know if an AMD CPU would handicap SW:TOR.

With a budget like that I would recommend either increasing the budget to about $500 or getting an Intel quad core that can't overclock and getting a cheap H61/H67 motherboard so you can fit in a cheap case and peripherals. I'll post a possible build soon.
You could fit an Intel quad core with a decent motherboard and 8GB or RAM within a $400 budget (though it's cutting it close) but that wouldn't leave room for anything else unless you got a cheaper H67/H61 motherboard that doesn't support overclocking.

An AMD Phenom quad or six core could fit within your budget but I don't know if an AMD CPU would handicap SW:TOR.

With a budget like that I would recommend either increasing the budget to about $500 or getting an Intel quad core that can't overclock and getting a cheap H61/H67 motherboard so you can fit in a cheap case and peripherals. I'll post a possible build soon.

Solution

arbitt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks so much for the reply!

I could increase my budget, but that means I would be upgrading later rather than sooner. I'm too impatient e_e.

"You could fit an Intel quad core with a decent motherboard and 8GB or RAM within a $400 budget (though it's cutting it close) but that wouldn't leave room for anything else unless you got a cheaper H67/H61 motherboard that doesn't support overclocking."

What do you mean by "that wouldn't leave room for anything else" exactly? I'm a rather casual PC user and I don't know much about overclocking.

"...or getting an Intel quad core that can't overclock and getting a cheap H61/H67 motherboard so you can fit in a cheap case and peripherals"

Mmmm, cheap. ;p

I would like to pickup some games I missed out on because of my crappy PC, like the Witcher 2 and BF3. I understand that with my budget, I wouldn't be able to max out those games, but running them with average performance and medium settings still sounds dreamy.

May I request some recommendations for a decent budget GPU to replace my old 9600GT? Doesn't need to be limited by my 500W PSU as I would replace that as well (would appreciate a recommendation on that too!)

Sorry for all the extra questions! Thanks again for the help!

You might fit the 6770 into your budget, maybe even the 6790... but then you might need a better power supply and I don't think it can be done anyway.

I think the 6770 has about half the performance of the 6950 but I can not confirm that.

You could wait until the budget Radeon 7000 cards come out and see if the 7700 series is cheap enough for your budget.