Sign in with
Your question

RAM as an boot up drive

Last response: in Memory
February 11, 2013 9:00:58 AM

i own an asus g75v with 16gigs of ram , i use the laptop for studies and gaming , i wanted to know if it is possible for converting the 16 gigs of ram into 12 and assigning the 4iggs as an boot up drive , ive heard about it in some forums , so is this possible and if so how , and will it have any adverse effects since its an laptop , thanx in advance

More about : ram boot drive

February 11, 2013 9:50:50 AM

No this is not possible, your RAM lose all data when powered off.

And then I tell you yes it can be done, sort off , but the RAM drive will still not be available during boot.
If you have a 4 GB RAM drive and a 4 GB physical drive you can join them in a RAID1 mirror setup. this will give you a drive with the read speed of the RAM drive and write speed of the physical drive. But when you power of your computer it will clear the RAM drive, so durring boot your drive will only use the speed of the physical drive until the mirror has been rebuilt on the RAM drive. So this will all in all give you a longer boot time and I guess that is what you try to improve.
You will have a verry fast OS drive after the RAM mirror has been built, but 4GB is not big enough to run any modern OS.
February 11, 2013 10:10:25 AM

i can spare upto 8gigs of ram , anyway thanx for the reply man , can u send me some links as to how this is done , thanx :) 
February 11, 2013 10:29:42 AM

Well I forgot to say that it is also not possible on a normal windows laptop you need special hardware and OS to support it. You can make it for running other applications but not boot from it.
Related resources
!