PS4 and Xbox720 - when do you want them to come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

how long should the coming generation last -- 5 years?

when should PS4 and Xbox720 come out? 2010, 2011 or 2012 ?

what concept should these future systems have: should they be
conventional style consoles with improved graphics, storage and
functions, or something completely new to home videogames, such as
V.R. or holographic projections ?

any other ideas?

optimusprimettf@yahoo.com wrote:
> how long should the coming generation last -- 5 years?
>
> when should PS4 and Xbox720 come out? 2010, 2011 or 2012 ?
>
> what concept should these future systems have: should they be
> conventional style consoles with improved graphics, storage and
> functions, or something completely new to home videogames, such as
> V.R. or holographic projections ?
>
> any other ideas?

With the PS3 supporting dual 1080 progressive output, and performing at
over 2 teraflops, I can see it lasting well beyond the standard 5-year
console lifespan. The xbox360, with its more limited capabilities,
will probably need to be replaced much sooner. Maybe that's been
Microsoft's strategy all along... accelerate their console cycle to the
point that they're not in line with Sony... so they can launch the
xbox3 in 2008 or 2009 with no competition.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

<optimusprimettf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> how long should the coming generation last -- 5 years?
>
> when should PS4 and Xbox720 come out? 2010, 2011 or 2012 ?
>
> what concept should these future systems have: should they be
> conventional style consoles with improved graphics, storage and
> functions, or something completely new to home videogames, such as
> V.R. or holographic projections ?
>
> any other ideas?

I personally am waiting for the Xbox 15120, with googlephonic stereo and a
moonrock needle - er, I mean moonrock crystal media laser.

Bill Cable wrote:

"With the PS3 supporting dual 1080 progressive output, and performing
at
over 2 teraflops, I can see it lasting well beyond the standard 5-year
console lifespan. The xbox360, with its more limited capabilities,
will probably need to be replaced much sooner. Maybe that's been
Microsoft's strategy all along... accelerate their console cycle to
the
point that they're not in line with Sony... so they can launch the
xbox3 in 2008 or 2009 with no competition."

--
Bill Cable

________

PS3 does not really provide over 2 teraflops of performance. first of
all, Sony said 2 teraflops or almost 2 teraflops, not over 2 teraflops.
secondly, the bulk of this PR-marketing tflops number is from the
graphics processor. so these are not real usable flops in a general
sense. remember Xbox GPU was rated at 80 Gflops which was also just
PR-fluff. in both cases, this is Nvidia's "NvFlops". the actual amount
of measurable flops in PS3 is 218 Gflops, which is less than one
quarter of a teraflop.
(256 Gflops is 1/4 of a teraflop).

the PS3, although it is indeed quite powerful, is not some amazing leap
in power, above and beyond what one might expect. it is actually a
smaller leap beyond PS2, than PS2 was beyond PS1.

I agree with your last comment though. Microsoft can launch Xbox3 in
2009 or so, with no competition from Sony for at least 3 years since
PS4 will not be ready for release until 2012 at the soonest.

Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
> PS3 does not really provide over 2 teraflops of performance. first
of
> all, Sony said 2 teraflops or almost 2 teraflops, not over 2
teraflops.
> secondly, the bulk of this PR-marketing tflops number is from the
> graphics processor. so these are not real usable flops in a general
> sense. remember Xbox GPU was rated at 80 Gflops which was also just
> PR-fluff. in both cases, this is Nvidia's "NvFlops". the actual
amount
> of measurable flops in PS3 is 218 Gflops, which is less than one
> quarter of a teraflop.
> (256 Gflops is 1/4 of a teraflop).

Well, those 1.8 Teraflops from the graphics processor DO count for
SOMETHING. I wouldn't toss them out as "unusable." And PS3's 218
Gflop Cell is still double to flops of the xbox360 processors' 115.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com

jmoney

Distinguished
May 24, 2005
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Your logic if flawed. The XBox 360 and the PS3 are basically the same.
Sony claims 2 teraplops because they count different. I read an article on
it a while back, but I don't remember the source. Anyway, from everything I
have read, the systems will be about the same.
Xbox's major advantage will of course be it's highly popular XBox Live
service.

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
> optimusprimettf@yahoo.com wrote:
>> how long should the coming generation last -- 5 years?
>>
>> when should PS4 and Xbox720 come out? 2010, 2011 or 2012 ?
>>
>> what concept should these future systems have: should they be
>> conventional style consoles with improved graphics, storage and
>> functions, or something completely new to home videogames, such as
>> V.R. or holographic projections ?
>>
>> any other ideas?
>
> With the PS3 supporting dual 1080 progressive output, and performing at
> over 2 teraflops, I can see it lasting well beyond the standard 5-year
> console lifespan. The xbox360, with its more limited capabilities,
> will probably need to be replaced much sooner. Maybe that's been
> Microsoft's strategy all along... accelerate their console cycle to the
> point that they're not in line with Sony... so they can launch the
> xbox3 in 2008 or 2009 with no competition.
>
> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

well you also should understand that the 1.8 TFLOPs for the graphics
processor is also a stretched figure. independantly figured ratings
for both the ATI GPU in Xbox360 and the Nvidia GPU in PS3 place them in
the 250 Gflop range. when I get ahold of the links to that, I post
them. but it shows the 2 GPUs are very close to each other in more
"real" Gflops. and going by their transistor counts (PS3 GPU = 300M
- Xbox360 GPU core 232M + 100M for eDRAM unit) should give you an idea
that they are fairly close in complexity.

"xTenn" <xTennRemovePart@tds.net> wrote in message

> <optimusprimettf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> how long should the coming generation last -- 5 years?
>>
>> when should PS4 and Xbox720 come out? 2010, 2011 or 2012 ?
>>
>> what concept should these future systems have: should they be
>> conventional style consoles with improved graphics, storage and
>> functions, or something completely new to home videogames, such as
>> V.R. or holographic projections ?
>>
>> any other ideas?
>>

> I personally am waiting for the Xbox 15120, with googlephonic stereo and a
> moonrock needle - er, I mean moonrock crystal media laser.

As long as it has a remote on/of button. I'm tired of using my fingelonger
to turn off my Xbox.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
> > PS3 does not really provide over 2 teraflops of performance. first
> of
> > all, Sony said 2 teraflops or almost 2 teraflops, not over 2
> teraflops.
> > secondly, the bulk of this PR-marketing tflops number is from the
> > graphics processor. so these are not real usable flops in a general
> > sense. remember Xbox GPU was rated at 80 Gflops which was also just
> > PR-fluff. in both cases, this is Nvidia's "NvFlops". the actual
> amount
> > of measurable flops in PS3 is 218 Gflops, which is less than one
> > quarter of a teraflop.
> > (256 Gflops is 1/4 of a teraflop).
>
> Well, those 1.8 Teraflops from the graphics processor DO count for
> SOMETHING. I wouldn't toss them out as "unusable." And PS3's 218
> Gflop Cell is still double to flops of the xbox360 processors' 115.

I thought that figure came from Sony where they took the most optimistic
Cell figure and the most pessimistic 360 figure and put them together. I'd
expect them to be about equal in real world terms.

> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"JMoney" <jn@tc3net.com> wrote in

> Your logic if flawed. The XBox 360 and the PS3 are
> basically the same. Sony claims 2 teraplops because they
> count different. I read an article on it a while back, but
> I don't remember the source. Anyway, from everything I
> have read, the systems will be about the same. Xbox's major
> advantage will of course be it's highly popular XBox Live
> service.

Not to nitpick, but if less than 10% of XBox users have signed
up how is it highly popular ?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

<optimusprimettf@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> how long should the coming generation last -- 5 years?
>
> when should PS4 and Xbox720 come out? 2010, 2011 or 2012 ?

who cares 'bout PS4 & X720?

I CAN'T WAIT FOR PS9 & Xe^90

200000000000 times the human brain
only the pad 2.000.000.000 terablobs

so finally we'll get....

Toy Story in real time :D

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Zero" <zero@nowhere.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "JMoney" <jn@tc3net.com> wrote in
>
>> Your logic if flawed. The XBox 360 and the PS3 are
>> basically the same. Sony claims 2 teraplops because they
>> count different. I read an article on it a while back, but
>> I don't remember the source. Anyway, from everything I
>> have read, the systems will be about the same. Xbox's major
>> advantage will of course be it's highly popular XBox Live
>> service.
>
> Not to nitpick, but if less than 10% of XBox users have signed
> up how is it highly popular ?

10% of xbox users is more than 2 milions of people that play online
do you find it popular now?

Jeremey

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

That percentile is erelavent. Some people have no way of getting broadband.
What I intended was that XBox Live is one of the most, if not THE most
popular online gaming network. And amoungst console online gaming,
certainly the dominating force. PS3 and Revolution may try, but Xbox
certainly has the leg up on online console gaming.

"Zero" <zero@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "JMoney" <jn@tc3net.com> wrote in
>
>> Your logic if flawed. The XBox 360 and the PS3 are
>> basically the same. Sony claims 2 teraplops because they
>> count different. I read an article on it a while back, but
>> I don't remember the source. Anyway, from everything I
>> have read, the systems will be about the same. Xbox's major
>> advantage will of course be it's highly popular XBox Live
>> service.
>
> Not to nitpick, but if less than 10% of XBox users have signed
> up how is it highly popular ?

Jeremey

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

The point is, they like to twist the truth a bit and exagerate specs to make
it SEEM like it's a better system. In reality, like I said, Xbox360 and PS3
will be about the same technically speaking which means features and games
(and some loyalty ties) will determine how each does this round. Right now,
Sony has about twice the market share as Microsoft in the console game.
Obviously there are more people who are loyal to Playstation. The main
advantages the new Xbox will have are 1. the 6 month head start, and 2. the
popluarity (amounst all online gamers) of the Live network.

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
>> PS3 does not really provide over 2 teraflops of performance. first
> of
>> all, Sony said 2 teraflops or almost 2 teraflops, not over 2
> teraflops.
>> secondly, the bulk of this PR-marketing tflops number is from the
>> graphics processor. so these are not real usable flops in a general
>> sense. remember Xbox GPU was rated at 80 Gflops which was also just
>> PR-fluff. in both cases, this is Nvidia's "NvFlops". the actual
> amount
>> of measurable flops in PS3 is 218 Gflops, which is less than one
>> quarter of a teraflop.
>> (256 Gflops is 1/4 of a teraflop).
>
> Well, those 1.8 Teraflops from the graphics processor DO count for
> SOMETHING. I wouldn't toss them out as "unusable." And PS3's 218
> Gflop Cell is still double to flops of the xbox360 processors' 115.
>
> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Well, those 1.8 Teraflops from the graphics processor DO count for
> SOMETHING.

only for vertex/pixel computing
this is definitively a different thing, as like potatos and carrots

I wouldn't toss them out as "unusable." And PS3's 218
> Gflop Cell is still double to flops of the xbox360 processors' 115.

false
115 is for the 3 core
but every core had a VMX unit (15 Gflop each for a total of 45 GFlops)

115 + 45 = 160 GFlops ok?

the general purpose power of x360 tricore is almost triple than cell power
(cell has only one ppe @ 3.2 Ghz)

and cell, with integer and FP in double precision, drops his performance to
1/10
that's bad, very bad for tasks as I.A., emulating, and so on

Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:

> I agree with your last comment though. Microsoft can launch Xbox3 in
> 2009 or so, with no competition from Sony for at least 3 years since
> PS4 will not be ready for release until 2012 at the soonest.

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? Microsoft accelerating the
hardware cycle doesn't mean that everyone who bought their old console
will buy their new one. Even if they do, and I know I'm only one
person, but I'm thinking I'm more likely to wait for the price to go
way down (read: even bigger hardware losses for them) before I buy the
new one, at least if they keep this rate up. Surely I can't be the
only one.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* * wrote in microsoft.public.xbox:

> "Zero" <zero@nowhere.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> "JMoney" <jn@tc3net.com> wrote in

>>> Your logic if flawed. The XBox 360 and the PS3 are
>>> basically the same. Sony claims 2 teraplops because they
>>> count different. I read an article on it a while back, but
>>> I don't remember the source. Anyway, from everything I
>>> have read, the systems will be about the same. Xbox's major
>>> advantage will of course be it's highly popular XBox Live
>>> service.

>> Not to nitpick, but if less than 10% of XBox users have signed
>> up how is it highly popular ?

> 10% of xbox users is more than 2 milions of people that play online
> do you find it popular now?

No, 10% does not insinuate popularity.

--
David
You look like a million dollars. All green and wrinkled.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio
>* * wrote in microsoft.public.xbox:
>
>> "Zero" <zero@nowhere.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> "JMoney" <jn@tc3net.com> wrote in

>>> Not to nitpick, but if less than 10% of XBox users have signed
>>> up how is it highly popular ?
>
>> 10% of xbox users is more than 2 milions of people that play online
>> do you find it popular now?
>
> No, 10% does not insinuate popularity.

rotfl

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

"*" <si si, bravo, indovinato@ba.it> wrote in

> "Zero" <zero@nowhere.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> "JMoney" <jn@tc3net.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Your logic if flawed. The XBox 360 and the PS3 are
>>> basically the same. Sony claims 2 teraplops because they
>>> count different. I read an article on it a while back,
>>> but I don't remember the source. Anyway, from everything
>>> I have read, the systems will be about the same. Xbox's
>>> major advantage will of course be it's highly popular
>>> XBox Live service.
>>
>> Not to nitpick, but if less than 10% of XBox users have
>> signed up how is it highly popular ?
>
> 10% of xbox users is more than 2 milions of people that
> play online do you find it popular now?

According to MS they're gonna hit 2 millions at the end of June.
I agree, it's a large number by itself, but I just don't find
10% popular if remeining 90% are not interested.

> According to MS they're gonna hit 2 millions at the end of June.
> I agree, it's a large number by itself, but I just don't find
> 10% popular if remeining 90% are not interested.

2 million is extremely popular for a online gaming system dedicated to
consoles (definitely a niche market). Your sample set (xbox owners) is only
an inference to the online portion. Not unlike some car detailing companies
that offer service based on a flat fee, not per service. Popular for a
detailing company , yes, but as compared to all the cars sold it is MUCH
less than 10% total.

Same for Geico Insurance for MiniVans, for example. Popular, yes, but still
less than 10% of minivans produced have that insurance (AFAIK).

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"TheShujin" <ucphenom82@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I agree with your last comment though. Microsoft can launch Xbox3 in
>> 2009 or so, with no competition from Sony for at least 3 years since
>> PS4 will not be ready for release until 2012 at the soonest.
>
> Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? Microsoft accelerating the
> hardware cycle doesn't mean that everyone who bought their old console
> will buy their new one. Even if they do, and I know I'm only one
> person, but I'm thinking I'm more likely to wait for the price to go
> way down (read: even bigger hardware losses for them) before I buy the
> new one, at least if they keep this rate up. Surely I can't be the
> only one.

you are right, and I dont think Microsoft would bring out another new Xbox
until at least 2010 or later

Jeremey wrote:
> The point is, they like to twist the truth a bit and exagerate specs to make
> it SEEM like it's a better system. In reality, like I said, Xbox360 and PS3
> will be about the same technically speaking which means features and games
> (and some loyalty ties) will determine how each does this round. Right now,
> Sony has about twice the market share as Microsoft in the console game.
> Obviously there are more people who are loyal to Playstation. The main
> advantages the new Xbox will have are 1. the 6 month head start, and 2. the
> popluarity (amounst all online gamers) of the Live network.

Since Sony has sold over 80,000,000 PS2s, while microsoft has sold
about 20,000,000 xboxs, how do you figure Sony only has twice the
market share?

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Previous Gen - 1995
Current Gen - 1999
Next Gen - 2005
Next Next Gen - 2011

- Jordan

* wrote:
> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Well, those 1.8 Teraflops from the graphics processor DO count for
> > SOMETHING.
>
> only for vertex/pixel computing
> this is definitively a different thing, as like potatos and carrots

And your position is that vertex/pixel computing has no effect on
graphics? ;-)

> I wouldn't toss them out as "unusable." And PS3's 218
> > Gflop Cell is still double to flops of the xbox360 processors' 115.
>
> false
> 115 is for the 3 core
> but every core had a VMX unit (15 Gflop each for a total of 45 GFlops)
>
> 115 + 45 = 160 GFlops ok?

Oh come on now... you can no more simply add the VMX Gflops to the core
flops than you can add the graphic processor flops. Who's talking
"potatoes and carrots" now?

> the general purpose power of x360 tricore is almost triple than cell power
> (cell has only one ppe @ 3.2 Ghz)
>
> and cell, with integer and FP in double precision, drops his performance to
> 1/10 that's bad, very bad for tasks as I.A., emulating, and so on

Well, that's where the game programmers come in. I think they'll be
able to make a lot more use out of the PS3's cell processor despite
it's limited "general purpose power" than they will with the 360's
flacid flops. Remember, this is a gaming console they're
manufacturing, not a PC.

Besides... I've played hundreds of games, and I have yet to encounter
an A.I. system that isn't dumb as rocks. You might find some enemies
with a few gimmicks or tricks based on the environment, but never
anything all that impressive. That's the fault of the programmers, not
the hardware. And with emulating... from what I hear the PS3 will have
a PS2 chip in it for backward compatability.

I just don't see any shortcomings with the PS3, based on the data to
date.

--

"Jeremey" <fake@tc3net.com> wrote in

> That percentile is erelavent. Some people have no way of
> getting broadband. What I intended was that XBox Live is
> one of the most, if not THE most popular online gaming
> network. And amoungst console online gaming, certainly the
> dominating force. PS3 and Revolution may try, but Xbox
> certainly has the leg up on online console gaming.

What is relevant then ? That opinion has to be based on
something. Number of users ? Only makes sense if
you compare it to something. Take Blizzard for
instance, they have 1.5 million WoW subscribers add to that
Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft and you have more users than
that of XL. And don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the service.
I just don't think that a service that is used only by 10% of
people is a major advantage. After all it was MS that said they
didn't think it was important to add backward compatibility for
10% of people (their estimate of PS2 owners who wanted it).
BTW, do you believe that the rest of XB owners can't get
broadband ?