Is 1600 DDR3 able to save uncompressed 1080p video?

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
So far I have like 2GB left on my main drive which is a 120GB SSD and so I plan on fixing it soon but for now that's what I have. I was trying to think of ways I can record gameplay using FRAPS with such little memory considering I normally get like 10GB videos. I know a HDD would be a cheaper option but they might be to slow. Then I remembered I have 16GB of RAM. I was thinking about using the RAM to save videos to as I'm recording. Do you think 1600 DDR3 would be able to play things like BF3 and save a few minutes of 1080p uncompressed video? It's Kingston HyperX Blu.

Only if you create a RAM drive, but then you'll have to save the file somewhere else; otherwise you'll lose it as soon as the system is powered off or rebooted. Memory speed or type is not important for a RAM drive; it can be created on any system that has enough memory.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you just want a temporary storage space to store no more than a few gigabytes of data in the very short term, until you have a chance to compress it, then sure, this will work fine.

If you're expecting this to be an extension of your hard drive, or a good way to store things for more than a few minutes, or need to store more than a few gigabytes of data, then no. This won't work.

Also, using a RAM drive won't impact your gaming. Memory bandwidth has very little to do with your framerate, and your memory has far more bandwidth than needed to handle both tasks.

InvalidError

Titan
You will not be saving uncompressed video.

1920 x 1080 x 60 x 3 = 355MB/s

With only 2GB free, you can record six seconds of uncompressed video. If you had a blank 128GB SSD, you would be able to record only 5m30 on it.

You do not want to record uncompressed video. Apart from movie studios and few other exceptions, just about everything else uses at least some degree of compression to keep bandwidth and file sizes within manageable range.

InvalidError

Titan

One image at 1920x1080 is ~2MP x 3 colors so 6MB per image. At 60 images per second, that's 360MB/s. The math does not get any simpler than that.

If you can fit 10 minutes of 1080p60 video in 10GB (16MB/s) then your "uncompressed" video is already compressed at 22:1.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

No, it doesn't get any simpler. The problem is the math is wrong.

1. You don't record video at 60 FPS, but 24. Very few sources will play video at higher framerates, even on a computer.
2. 1080p is not typically typically recorded with 24 bit color. Fraps uses YV12 (12 bits), and others will use 4:4:4 (10 bits).

This gives us a raw bitrate of around 62-74 MB/s, depending on how color was encoded. You were off by a factor of six.

If you can fit 10 minutes of 1080p60 video in 10GB (16MB/s) then your "uncompressed" video is already compressed at 22:1.
While 10 minutes won't fit in 10GB, this is more like a 4:1 ratio, which a good lossless codec can do. Totally reasonable, but not uncompressed, just lossless.

knuckleonAMD

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
On my as-rock board my 16gb of ram can be used the make a 8gb ram disk. It will work as temporary storage. I would recommend getting a storage drive. If you want it to be fast. Western digital black drives are great.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I'm not claiming it's lossless, I'm just telling you what's used. The statement about lossless codecs is tangential.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Fast? It's RAM! How much faster can it get?